Internal rim hole damage on new wheels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: Internal rim hole damage on new wheels

Post by Vorpal »

bakaman wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 1:41pm

Which brings me back to the principle of needing to be ready and willing to pay more for a respected manufacturer, and not buying their budget line, or lines that they might have in further flung, lower cost corners of the world that might use cheap machine clones, or worn-out tooling that wasn’t good enough for their main product. I was thinking of getting an LX17/XT setup until some of the earlier comments were made about LX17s. Now, what is the alternative to LX17 without shoddy manufacturing history?
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/components/r ... ing/tk-540
or
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-622 ?

Of course, both are rather more dear than the A319. I have a pair of wheels on DT Swiss rims similar to the TK540, and really like them. I've had them for a few years, now.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134760 is a thread from last year with discussion about some alternatives for a mid-weight touring rim, including a builder's perspective on quality.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Vorpal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:52pm
PhilD28 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:52am As I said, they would argue that this was normal with punched rims, which it pretty much is.
It might be normal, but it doesn't need to be. Punching can produce very much better results.
Yes I agree entirely Vorpal, it doesn't have to be, but it doesn't alter the reality that it is becoming, if not normal, far too common, and bike shops are just repeating what the manufacturers are telling them.

Bike shop staff are often very skilled at assembling and repairing bikes and are also very knowledgeable about equipment but they are rarely qualified "engineers" with the appropraite background to evaluate metalurgy and certain elements of design. Of course they shouldn't need to be, that's the role of the manufacturers design and development staff.
Unfortunately in some cases shop staff will argue from some misguided belief that "they know best because they are in the trade".
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

"I was thinking of getting an LX17/XT setup until some of the earlier comments were made about LX17s. Now, what is the alternative to LX17 without shoddy manufacturing history?"

I like the design and the price of LX 17's but have had numerous problems with them, bad punching and oversize ERD being the recurrent ones. That said, when I have bought them across the counter and selected from several to ensure that ERD is correct and the punching is ok they have built up into good wheels and I've done some lengthy loaded tours on them in the 36 hole 26" size.

Vorpal mentioned the DT Swiss TK 540, I do like these rims, they are nicely made and build up well, I built a pair up not long ago and they are very nice, you pay a premium but that's life, quality generally costs.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I would certainly buy the same wheels again. I've been very happy with them. They're the best wheels I've got on any of my bikes, with the possible exception of the tandem.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bakaman

Post by bakaman »

Thank you for your replies. TK540s look nice, but too nice for my rough stuff bike. Perhaps I should just do the A319s with Deore hubs, it should be good enough.

Still awaiting retailer contact.
Manufacturer responded again and said "those were old rims 5/6 years old, and we make them aesthetically better than that now ..... if you are not happy with them, return to seller ..... but regardless, they are perfectly ok to ride and totally safe"
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I'm the wrong sort of engineer for this sort of thing but even I can see those rims are horrid and only fit for scrap.

I've found Exal rims to be good for the (very low) price. Never seen this sort of a mess with them, so some batches are fine.
nez

Post by nez »

Vorpal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 2:57pm I would certainly buy the same wheels again. I've been very happy with them. They're the best wheels I've got on any of my bikes, with the possible exception of the tandem.
I built a pair too. I was very pleased with them and would be looking at those or similar standard wheels for future projects. They sell nice hubs too.
bakaman

Post by bakaman »

And the story ended with a return to the retailer, postage paid by them.
That was a relief to get them out of the house, but my goodness, the Brexit customs paperwork that was involved was seriously a pain. 3 customs form, incomplete guidance, 3 return labels. I can see why European firms are saying no to the UK now. I used to buy wheels from Rose Bikes, and they were remarkably low priced but (8 wheels on, great quality and reliability), but they are history now.
Now I'm just hoping not to get a knock on the door from the postman with the 3 boxes back again, saying that the paperwork was wrong ....
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Really the best way is to learn to build your own wheels it really isn't difficult and there are plenty of resources available to help with lacing and tensioning techniques. Roger Mussons book is very good and includes plans for a simple plywood wheel jig. Spoke tension meters are also reasonably affordable these days.

I have often built wheels for local cyclists for free and helped a few learn how to do it themselves.
nez

Post by nez »

bakaman wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:54pm And the story ended with a return to the retailer, postage paid by them.
That was a relief to get them out of the house, but my goodness, the Brexit customs paperwork that was involved was seriously a pain. 3 customs form, incomplete guidance, 3 return labels. I can see why European firms are saying no to the UK now. I used to buy wheels from Rose Bikes, and they were remarkably low priced but (8 wheels on, great quality and reliability), but they are history now.
Now I'm just hoping not to get a knock on the door from the postman with the 3 boxes back again, saying that the paperwork was wrong ....
I remember being questioned by customs at Victoria station in the 1980s because they suspected my Blizzard was French. Who carries a retail invoice for their bike? We’ll be back to all that nonsense with Brexit