... who made this bike, and why?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kylecycler

Re: ... who made this bike, and why?

Post by kylecycler »

Steven Bilenky was interviewed by Anna Schwinn for Bikerumor a few years ago. Or, well, he interviewed himself and she recorded it...

Ended with this gem of advice (seriously):
All the stories is what makes it cool. Everyone has their own story. I guess it’s that thing of like, well, it would be like someone saying “I want to be a blues guitarist.” There are people who can play it or sound like it. But you really gotta wanna do it. Because you’re going to have to go do it for the sake of doing it, and you’re going to have to do it long enough because as much as you think that oh, you’re going to figure it out, no. You really just gotta want to do it for its own sake. Do it long enough and you’ll get known.
https://bikerumor.com/2016/02/05/road-t ... cle-works/
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

kylecycler wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 4:42pm
JimAW wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 6:40am
kylecycler wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 8:06pm More details of the above (anyone got any idea what the hubs are?):
I would guess they are Curtis Odom hubs.
Thanks, I'm sure you're right, I'd never seen or heard of them before (referring to the Bilenky Shelly Horton bike, not the 'hands-across-the-pond' bike).

http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/201 ... -odom.html
They look like Phil Wood with the raised central band on the hubshell.... The article says

"The mixte was part of a Phil Wood display, featuring their stunning custom crankset, bottom bracket, hub shells (housing Rohloff guts in the rear and Schmidt dyno up front), cogs, toe cages, etc. - all made as one-offs especially for this bicycle"

Bilenky make some great bikes, and the Shelly Horton is truly sublime..... Though I'm not sure what is worse about the Boris bike - that the builder almost certainly lost £3k on it; or that it looks so horrendous!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

AndyA wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 10:05pm They look like Phil Wood with the raised central band on the hubshell.... The article says

"The mixte was part of a Phil Wood display, featuring their stunning custom crankset, bottom bracket, hub shells (housing Rohloff guts in the rear and Schmidt dyno up front), cogs, toe cages, etc. - all made as one-offs especially for this bicycle"

Bilenky make some great bikes, and the Shelly Horton is truly sublime..... Though I'm not sure what is worse about the Boris bike - that the builder almost certainly lost £3k on it; or that it looks so horrendous!
Oh right, thanks. No effort or expense spared with the Shelly Horton bike, not so with the Boris bike - all down to time and budget, I suppose.