Orrin dam closure?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oliw

Orrin dam closure?

Post by Oliw »

Hi,
Does anyone know if they have finished working on the Orrin dam yet? A post from November said that you could not cross during the week, but was wondering if anyone had any further updates?
Thanks
Oli.
Vorpal

Re: Orrin dam closure?

Post by Vorpal »

Welcome to the forum.

According to the Cycling UK website
the dam at Orrin Reservoir between Struy and Contin is currently closed for public access. SSE Renewables say this is only while refurbishment work is taking place, so it is possible to cross the dam between 14:00 on Fridays to 19:30 on Mondays. Otherwise, you can take this detour to avoid the dam.
The detour is linked https://www.cyclinguk.org/route/great-n ... -highlands
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I was up there 25th April this year with one of my daughters. There was a sign (at the foot of the glen where the multi padlocked gate is) indicating that the dam was closed. I had planned this circular route:

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/215481

We carried on anyhow and crossed the dam without problem - no sign of any work going on at all. However, we turned back at around the 16 mile point as the track got a bit lumpy with huge puddles. We were on hybrid bikes with narrowish tyres, and a little time constrained. Still a fantastic ride though.
Oliw

Post by Oliw »

Hi,

Just to provide an update on my original post.

We cycled the route across the dam on Wednesday 16th if June and the dam was open to the public. There was no sign of any ongoing works on pause either. There was still a notice at fairburn stating the dam was closed however.

Oli.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, I would say they are trying to keep the proletariat out of their Glen!!
turfroof

Post by turfroof »

I rode across it 9th June - some bods fitting mesh to the railings across the dam - cheery hello all round - no issues at all
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Any update on this? i.e. official (or unofficial) notice that the work's completed and the dam's open all the time?
thanks