Second hand bike from Netherlands- shipping issues

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dynamite_funk

Second hand bike from Netherlands- shipping issues

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Hello everyone. Wondering if people can share their experience?

I purchased a second hand bike from a lovely guy in the Netherlands. All packs d up, price agreed on shipping. Figured I will get an import duty but worth it.

Gent goes to shop the bike and is told that NL Post will charge a minimum of €250(ish) to ship. Have looked at DPD and other options but the majority are simply not shipping to the UK at all. The ones that are are insanely expensive, like a very expensive thing to do. Maybe it’s a case of supply and demand at the moment until these companies start shipping again?

Is there a reason for this sudden increase? Uncertainty for couriers because of brexit? Regardless of this, do people think it is worth waiting things out until things calm down a bit in a hope that prices will drop?

Thankfully the seller is a gent and is willing to either refund (despite it taking time to package and drive to the post office) but is also willing to take my lead and wait it out.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Dynamite_funk on 12 Jun 2021, 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

Re: Second hand bike from Netherlands- shipping issues

Post by UpWrong »

Collect it in person, cycle off the ferry?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Collect it in person, cycle off the ferry?
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

No can do, work and family commitments! Would end up being more expensive in any case :(
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you sought any quotes from couriers?
Dynamite_funk wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 6:06pm Is there a reason for this sudden increase? Uncertainty for couriers because of brexit?
There's a lot of information on the issues and changes for importing and retailers and taxation in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1554465
Dynamite_funk wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 6:06pm Regardless of this, do people think it is worth waiting things out until things calm down a bit in a hope that prices will drop?
I wouldn't... money tied up and too much uncertainty.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I don't know about buying bikes, but the question of transporting bikes to/from Europe often comes up on the Touring section.

It has always been the case (including pre Brexit) that transporting bikes abroad is very expensive. You could search out some of the old posts. The cheapest is always to take it with you on plane, ferry, train, etc.

If it wasn't for quarantine etc then it could be the cheapest to fly out and return with bike. Sad but true.

Found one recent post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142949&p=1561762&hi ... x#p1561762
PH

Post by PH »

Put the dimensions and weight into this link and see if you can get a quote
https://uk.interparcel.com/

If it can't quote a choice of options, or they're two expensive, try splitting it into two parcels, even within the UK it can be cheaper to do so.
Insurance costs a lot more than the carriage, decide for yourself if you want to pay that or take the risk. I can tell you from working in parcel logistics that things do get damaged or lost, but it's a tiny percentage of volume.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Good suggestion about splitting it into two packages. Might reduce customs charges too, legally speaking.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Hello all. Thank you for all the suggestions.

After a LOT of trawling and using various parcel companies such and brokers such as Shiply I came across ParcelBroker who are willing to do it for £124.76 which I feel is quite reasonable. The other quotes from DPD and DHL etc ranged from £250-500. I did notice on eBay there are people selling bikes with a suggested postage cost of around £107 from Netherlands to the UK. I've asked what they are using but am still waiting to hear back.

I am going to get the chap to refund me the money for the shipping element of the price and book it myself. This will probably be worth it to avoid any confusion with the various VAT/Import duty issues.

Very good idea on splitting to get under the VAT/Import duty issues! However, it is all packed and I don't want to mess the guy around any more :mrgreen:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Dynamite_funk wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 10:39amAfter a LOT of trawling and using various parcel companies such and brokers such as Shiply I came across ParcelBroker who are willing to do it for £124.76 which I feel is quite reasonable.
Good call. Hope it goes well.

Please can you tell us how it went when it's all sorted.

Thanks

Jonathan