Cordless Compressors

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandusud

Cordless Compressors

Post by iandusud »

I have a long term problem with one of my wrists that has flared up again and it makes using my track pump very difficult. I am thinking of getting a cordless compressor. Does anyone have any experience of using one with bike tyres? I'm looking specifically at a Makita DMP180Z as I already have Makita LXT 18v batteries and charger and I find Makita tools to be very good.
simonineaston

Re: Cordless Compressors

Post by simonineaston »

I've no experience, but I agree Makita tend to be a good buy, being on the whole, tough and effective tools. I see the bare tool (no battery / charger) is available at around £50 here in UK, although I have a vague memory that the OP is based in France. see here
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Max pressure from the device is around 120psi. So, unless you're track-racing, its more than enough. The control allows the required pressure to be set before pumping up the tyre, so the correct pressure is easily achieved. There appears to be a scale covering PSI and Bar (the more common scales for tyre pressures).

For your needs, it sounds ideal. Price seems good if you have the required batteries around from other devices.

- Nigel
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

No experience of this but a query like this tends to have me looking at Amazon reviews and similar. From their, I get the impression that some users have been caught out by different versions of the LXT battery so I'd recommend checking that carefully. My general doubts about using inflators not specifically targeted at bike tyres is whether they can cope with high pressures but the reviews seem to suggest that this one is better at small volume high pressure than large volume low pressure applications.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nigel wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:11am Max pressure from the device is around 120psi .................. its more than enough.
120psi on my Mercian rear is 120psi, so not "more than enough".

Chap down the road from us, I saw inflating his car tyres a week or so ago. Until then, I didn't know electric cordless tyre inflators existed.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

It's more than enough for normal people riding normal bikes with normal tyres at manufacturers' recommended pressures.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mick F wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 2:27pm
Nigel wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:11am Max pressure from the device is around 120psi .................. its more than enough.
120psi on my Mercian rear is 120psi, so not "more than enough".
I think it is sufficient for 99% of riders. My Roberts, 28mm tyres, is 75-80psi on the rear.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Whatever.

I'm just commenting on the "more than enough" statement.

Vittoria Rubino Pro 23mm on 531c Mercian.
85psi front, and 120psi rear.
The tyres will take 145psi.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

145psi is also more than enough.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

It's more than I want to pump with my track pump! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I bought one a while ago for the car tyres. It was about £30 or so from Amazon on a deal
Tried it on the wife's ebike as that has schrader valves and it took them up to 70psi quickly and easily.
There's a nice little display and you can set the pressure limit in psi or bar and it auto shuts off.
A cracking little device
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Will it mount an a bike frame or does it need to go in a pannier etc?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 8:01am I have a long term problem with one of my wrists that has flared up again and it makes using my track pump very difficult. I am thinking of getting a cordless compressor. Does anyone have any experience of using one with bike tyres? I'm looking specifically at a Makita DMP180Z as I already have Makita LXT 18v batteries and charger and I find Makita tools to be very good.
Most of this is already in the discussion, but here's how I'd approach this.

1 Decide the maximum pressure that you need.

2 Also have a look at dedicated inflators that will provide that pressure. Many of these need 12V DC so if you'll always be near a car or mains that will be OK...

3 Yes, Makita battery tools are excellent, and sharing the battery and charger will reduce cost and pollution.

4 Don't assume that any built-in gauge is accurate.

Jonathan
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

The Makita looks a good bet. If you ever decide to get a smaller more portable dedicated electric pump, Bosch do one. We have one at work. It's ok, pretty noisy and slow but it works, and is pretty light.
https://www.tooled-up.com/bosch-easypum ... m8QAvD_BwE
It goes to 150psi, which should be more than enough for almost everybody's standards.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent.
Thank you for the link.

Looks brilliant. :D
Mick F. Cornwall