Cordless Compressors

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
al_yrpal

Re: Cordless Compressors

Post by al_yrpal »

Bought mine from Aldi a couple of years ago, very useful

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Don't assume that any built-in gauge is accurate.
Certainly none of them are anywhere as near as accurate as my thumb... :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Thanks for the replies. I have great faith in Makita cordless tools. They seem to be indestructible and the battery technology is fantastic. Previous cordless tools I've had have all discharged when not being used, lacked power (even a 24v pro range Black and Decker) and took ages to recharge. My 18v Makita kit is powerful, has long battery life, the batteries don't discharge when not in use and a recharge on a 3ah battery takes only 20mins.

Re compatibility of LXT batteries, thanks for the heads up. From what I can establish my batteries are compatible. I'll buy from Amazon as returns are very easy should there be a problem.

Cheers, Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you buy from Amazon a check of the reviews should clarify what the problem was as you are already familiar with them. It all went over my head
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Probably a bit late to the party by now, but have you considered a cycIair pump? It uses a pull cord for motive power. I have one and it works very well. Quite a bit cheaper than an electric pump, too!

http://permaco.com/index.html?target=de ... lang=en-us
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Airsporter1st wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:11am Probably a bit late to the party by now, but have you considered a cycIair pump? It uses a pull cord for motive power. I have one and it works very well. Quite a bit cheaper than an electric pump, too!

That's certainly an interesting option. As I already have Makita batteries and the charger I'll stick with the cordless compressor, but thanks all the same.
rjb

Post by rjb »

If you have deep pockets there's pocket sized battery powered inflaters.
Search for "fumpa" on Amazon or flebay.
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (10.5 KiB) Viewed 634 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

rjb wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:25am If you have deep pockets there's pocket sized battery powered inflaters.
download.jpeg
I have one of these. It is excellent. I purchased it on 'Ebay' (not as mentioned above the derogatory title this time misspelled flebay ) from the importer.
Great service great item .The cost is expensive but invaluable to me with very very bad back.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313496121809 ... SwH-Bfqc38

Seems to suggest that it'll do 100psi .....................

Will it get above 100psi?
Will it do 120psi?
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

rjb wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:25am If you have deep pockets there's pocket sized battery powered inflaters.
download.jpeg
There's also the Xiaomi Mi battery-powered compressor, which is a much more reasonable £40. There's a thorough comparative review of the Mi and the Fumpa here: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/03/xiaomi- ... -reviewed/
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I can see the attraction of these mini compressors if you want to carry one with you on your bike but for home use something with a larger battery has to be a better option.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for the link.

Just thinking ...............

I have a Lezyne CO2 adaptor thingy, and I bought a job lot of CO2 canisters a year or more ago.
I take when riding, two canisters and two inner tubes.

Not had a visit from the fairy since 2015 on one bike, and 2018 on the other.
Therefore, even though I love gadgets and stuff, it's not worth it at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

This is mine, £30 IIRC, they may come back into stock some time. Does 4 car tyres easy and at least 100psi

https://www.aldi.co.uk/12v-li-ion-mini- ... 9285168700

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Airsporter1st wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:11am Probably a bit late to the party by now, but have you considered a cycIair pump? It uses a pull cord for motive power. I have one and it works very well. Quite a bit cheaper than an electric pump, too!

I've seen these in action. Bought by an ex-rower (who also loves tech/gadgets); he deployed it on a group ride and it worked (for him) at least as well as a good mini-pump. (It was a nice day, so I didn't stress over exactly how long inflation took!)
SO I can see they have their uses, but I won't be replacing my Zefal frame-pump for now.

Worth noting their FAQ:
Q. The gauge shows that it goes up to 120 psi, is that how much pressure I need in my tyres?
A. Probably not. The recommended pressure for your tyres will be written on the sidewall of the tyres. Do not over inflate your tyres.

n.b. "probably"
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

But how much pressure would you lose when you disconnected it?