Is cycling getting more dangerous?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cowsham

Re: Is cycling getting more dangerous?

Post by Cowsham »

Syd wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 11:17pm Thanks Vincent.

She was lucky and got away relatively unscathed. A number of grazes. Bruises and dumps but nothing broken.

Bike, on the other hand, may not be as lucky. The impact has deformed the LHS seat stay near to the top disk brake mounting post.

She’s already readying another bike to commute on when the general aches go away.
Just seen this Syd -- hope Mrs S is OK

was the driver apologetic?

offer to pay to fix the bike?
I am here. Where are you?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Sorry to hear of your wife’s mishap. I am glad she is not put off cycling and wish her a speedy recovery.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'm not sure that it's more dangerous but danger is part of getting on a bike. Mixing with traffic, even if low has it's dangers.
You can be in danger from the idiots who drive by far too close in places where they should hang back.
I see this now and again but luckily it's fairly rare.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cowsham wrote:

She was lucky and got away relatively unscathed. A number of grazes. Bruises and dumps but nothing broken.

Bike, on the other hand, may not be as lucky. The impact has deformed the LHS seat stay near to the top disk brake mounting post.

She’s already readying another bike to commute on when the general aches go away.

Driver professed to be a keen cyclist himself, and was in running gear at the time, so was incredibly apologetic.

Admitted on video to not having seen her and passed on insurance details.

Most difficult part is going to be able to buy a new bike at present.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Syd wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:28pm
Cowsham wrote:

Driver professed to be a keen cyclist himself, and was in running gear at the time, so was incredibly apologetic.

Admitted on video to not having seen her and passed on insurance details.

Most difficult part is going to be able to buy a new bike at present.
In normal times that would be the fun bit but I know what you mean -- it's just a lot of bother, now that it's summer and you want to be out using it not buying and setting it up to your needs.
Syd

Post by Syd »

It’s trying to find any in stock that suits that’s the problem unfortunately.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Syd wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:06pm It’s trying to find any in stock that suits that’s the problem unfortunately.
Would buying individual parts and putting together be an option?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Buying a frame and transferring all parts over would be one solution but I suspect Mrs Syd would prefer a new bike.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If I'd been the boy that hit Mrs S I'd be very happy to get away with supplying a new bike -- it's the least he could do.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cowsham wrote:If I'd been the boy that hit Mrs S I'd be very happy to get away with supplying a new bike -- it's the least he could do.
Hairline crack and some compression on helmet, torn Castelli top, bib shorts and gloves, plus Leigh Day are pushing for personal injuries. Police also want to visit to take a written statement.

Plus he’s got the wing damage to his own car, a 6 month old Nissan Leaf.

So not just the cost of a bike.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Syd wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 5:31pm plus Leigh Day are pushing for personal injuries.
There will be a fairly standard 'tariff' for the injuries your wife has suffered, and I would cetainly claim for them if I were her. Put the money towards the replacement bike, since it is possible/probable that the insurer will not offer the full replacement cost depending upon the age of the bike.

If the wheels and other parts of the bike are largely undamaged, an alternative to a new bike of a similar specification might be to buy a much nicer replacement frame, e.g. maybe something like the Spa Elan Ti.
Syd

Post by Syd »

slowster wrote:
Syd wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 5:31pm plus Leigh Day are pushing for personal injuries.
There will be a fairly standard 'tariff' for the injuries your wife has suffered, and I would cetainly claim for them if I were her. Put the money towards the replacement bike, since it is possible/probable that the insurer will not offer the full replacement cost depending upon the age of the bike.

If the wheels and other parts of the bike are largely undamaged, an alternative to a new bike of a similar specification might be to buy a much nicer replacement frame, e.g. maybe something like the Spa Elan Ti.
Leigh Day were very good at getting full replacement costs for me for a 6 year old bike.

Time will tell but sensible estimates seem more readily accepted when put forward by law firms.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I had two most dangerous incidents on my last ride (one guy in a landrover pulling out from
a side road, forcing me into the curb, and a chav cutting in front of me into a lay-by, forcing
me into an emergency-stop). I still enjoy cycling, but those type of incidents stay with me for
several hours afterwards.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I had similar to your second experience today. A transit in front of me indicated left and pulled into the kerb where is stopped.

It had only stopped for the briefest of moments, by which time I was alongside, before indicating right and, simultaneously, pulling back out and beginning to push me towards the opposite lane.

The driver’s window was open and he only stopped on hearing my rather loud vocalisation.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Syd wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 8:33pm I had similar to your second experience today. A transit in front of me indicated left and pulled into the kerb where is stopped.

It had only stopped for the briefest of moments, by which time I was alongside, before indicating right and, simultaneously, pulling back out and beginning to push me towards the opposite lane.

The driver’s window was open and he only stopped on hearing my rather loud vocalisation.
Scary :shock: