Is cycling getting more dangerous?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
drossall

Re: Is cycling getting more dangerous?

Post by drossall »

Percy wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 10:28pmThey are designed to teach defensive riding. I rode a motorcycle for 28 years with no problems. I don't know if there are cycling classes that might have a similar approach.
Depends what you mean by defensive riding, but for cycling there is Bikeability. I haven't done it, but that teaches good riding techniques including, for example, positioning in the lane. Not as defensive as Cycling Proficiency, which taught keeping out of drivers' way to what was arguably too great a degree, but certainly defensive in the sense of using the road in the way least likely to put you in danger.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO the biggy here is "Is driving getting worse?" That doesn't imply that many or a majority of drivers drive badly, but I would say the truly bad drivers are more numerous.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

For most of us we can but express a view based on our own observations, interactions, conversations and general experience, usually and largely limited to a geographical area, ie where we live.

Is there any actual evidence out there?
John
Syd

Post by Syd »

Anecdotal statement only but I would say that yes, cycling is getting more dangerous. Certainly round here.

Why? For one simple reason. The introduction of new buses, with double rear axles, are tearing up the road surface more thus increasing the number, and depth, of potholes.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Syd wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:04am Anecdotal statement only but I would say that yes, cycling is getting more dangerous. Certainly round here.

Why? For one simple reason. The introduction of new buses, with double rear axles, are tearing up the road surface more thus increasing the number, and depth, of potholes.
Those big bendy buses are hairy things -- the overhang after the last set of wheels should be stayed well away from.

Was driving a car in heavy traffic in York yesterday -- the cyclists there are fearless wrt traffic. One overtook me on the inside in a dark tunnel or under big bridge ( I think it was near the train station ) no lights wearing all black -- but I had thankfully seen him coming from before we went into the darkness and stayed over to let him pass which he seemed determined to do. I'm sure the lorry coming the other way wondered what I was up to since they wouldn't have seen him. Everyone seemed to be on electric bikes. Probably the best way to get around cos the traffic is bedlam.
I am here. Where are you?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gazza_d wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 5:29pm Well this has all gone a bit south.
....................All that matters is that they are a human being, and that any driver manoeuvring around them, be it overtaking or turning does so with basic respect for another person...........................
...........a bit pie-in-the-sky that,isn't it gazza?
Last edited by JohnW on 4 Jul 2021, 1:28am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gazza_d wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 5:29pm ...........................Bad drivers can't give time and space to ppl cycling......................Bad people won't give time and space to ppl cycling.
That's a bit more realistic!
hujev

Post by hujev »

Here in americaland, I say yes, it is, or at least the drivers are making the cyclists more at-risk... And likewise even driving is more dangerous.

Like too many other things driving here is taken as a right, an 'expression' of machismo or territoriality, and any attempt at responsibility or driving as though others are at stake is taken as an excuse for aggression under some paranoid concept of 'interference in my rights'.

One must always beware of men driving pickup trucks, especially if flying flags (here in hillbilly central - which includes most of the country - trumpist and anti-democratic flags are still 'in'..., buy the other day in my tiny village of 1500 souls, riding on the side of a traffic-free lane in the 3 block 'downtown' a lady in a minivan came up behind, beeped her horn, then passed (~safely I might add so what's the problem ma'am?) then yelled as passing 'get on the sidewalk'!'. (I think 'sidewalk' = 'pavement' in UK, but I get really confused as all transit surfaces seem to have opposite names here vs. there!)

Speed limits here have been increased and most non-crash traffic violations seem to go unenforced, and of course automobiles are getting (here) larger, faster, more insulated from the 'real' world by hi-fi surround sound (who has that many ears anyway??), internet, TV, programmable ass-cushioning leather seats (really, who'd ever have such a fancy chair in their home??), and it even seems smaller 'greenhouses' (the windows that let you see the actual world you might be crashing into, running over, scraping against, cutting off, killing or maiming, or shouting and/or beeping at). Thank goodness for the dirty tiny video cameras on the boot (or as we say, 'trunk'!), I guess!

Anyway, having been a cyclist commuting & touring in & through small & big towns(and the rural countryside) for 40+ years I definitely see it, feel it, and probably cycle less because of it (and definitely drive less also). Have I mentioned our too expensive to afford medical help in this country!?

I dream of a world in which, among other things, skill/machismo, whatever, would be perceived by how /small/ a vehicle one could drive (or ride) to get the things done. For one thing, trikes would have to become popular here, as I don't think flying a huge 'trupm 202x, he won, really - I believe!!' flag would be very easy on a 2-wheeler, especially also burdened with a 30-can box of bud light, several huge bottles of pepsi, and a microwave pizza...

Hmm, I'm getting ideas for my penal colony when I seize power...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sitting outside a hospital waiting on Mrs Syd getting seen to after she was knocked off this evening just outside work. She was waiting in a section in the middle of the road designated for turning right when a driver drove into her from behind.

She’s just text from the waiting room to tell me there are three others in who have all been knocked off bikes.

Seems that’s a typical weekday for the staff and they say the trend is going upward.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very sorry to hear that.

I hope she's OK.

Jonathan
Syd

Is cycling getting more dangerous?

Post by Syd »

Thanks Jonathan.

Being seen at a minor injuries unit so nothing too serious.

At the moment she’s more concerned about her bike.
vincent0

Post by vincent0 »

Nessie23 wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 9:02pm My response to the question is…..NO.
I am both a motorist and a cyclist. When I am in my car I believe the standard of driving has deteriorated over the last few years. However, when on my bike I believe motorists have become more courteous to cyclists. Maybe this is a result of the obvious increase in cycling activity over the past year and motorists adapting to the increased numbers.
I tend to agree.
I feel safer now. Haven't had a scary left hook or close pass in many years (maybe my cycling has changed though), and the most recent incident that could be called a left hook only left me feeling irritated by their impatient (it was about 2.5 bike lengths away, no sweat). Maybe the next one will get me. Hahaha.
Anyway, for sure, I feel much safer now than 30-40 years ago. We had it tough then... etc...etc.
vincent0

Post by vincent0 »

Sorry to hear of your wife's accident "Syd", scary.
Hope everything is okay and that the two of you have no issues getting back on the road.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks Vincent.

She was lucky and got away relatively unscathed. A number of grazes. Bruises and dumps but nothing broken.

Bike, on the other hand, may not be as lucky. The impact has deformed the LHS seat stay near to the top disk brake mounting post.

She’s already readying another bike to commute on when the general aches go away.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I agree with Nessie above. Done two, one hundred mile+ rides since Sunday. Don't recall a single issue. In fact bith days I do recall thinking that drivers were very tolerant to the point of me thinking, "get a move on , you could get a bus through there"