need info on cycling computers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KevinLee

need info on cycling computers

Post by KevinLee »

hi, I have a rarely used Halfords bike that I would now like to use as an indoor exerciser set up in my garage. I got a rear wheel roller type product to peddle against. What I would like to do is fit a sensor or more to the back wheel (as the front wheel is stationary), and have the info sent to an LCD screen or android mobile phone device. The problem is the wealth of products out their have got me confused. Also as I am mot working at the moment I don't really have the funds for monthly subscription type products. Finally if I can get a setup that works, then my wife and daughter would also like to use it, so being able to track different users would also be good. I would welcome any suggestions.
Kevin Lee
Eyebrox

Re: need info on cycling computers

Post by Eyebrox »

I would keep it simple - and cheap. You can fit a basic Halfords 5-function cycle computer to your bike. They cost about £8 to £10. Attach the sensors to the rear wheel and a seatstay. The cable won't be long enough to reach the handlebars with the main unit but you can zip tie it to the top bar for reading as you pedal. The basic computer will measure speed and distance as well as time. Can be reset to zero at the touch of a button. All the family will be able to keep a log of their efforts and compare past and present performances with themselves and each other (especially when you're all using the same machine with the same settings). You can progress to other devices or an online training regime as your outcomes improve.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I'd also suggest keeping it simple and cheap, but would suggest a computer with a rear wheel and pedalling (cadence) sensor.

That will have a longer wire or quite possibly wireless, and the cadence will let you keep an eye on your pedalling speed which normally should be around 80-100rpm.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I bought a sigma computer years ago as it was the only sort that were selling rear wheel kits. I've still got it and it's still working but they're no longer available. A wireless one won't work. I had a garmin speed sensor 2 given to me and if you download the Wahoo app it picks it up and gives you a massive display.......bigger than Mick F's monty!!
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

You can get simple bluetooth speed sensors that attach to the chainstay. This could then be linked to your phone and various free cycling applications to give basic statistics etc. It gives you more options to record data. From aliexpress they are about £10 but you might be able to shave off two or three pounds by shopping around.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002199867387.html
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

That looks a complete load ot tat.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

philvantwo wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 1:10pm That looks a complete load ot (sic) tat.
My first thought, "that's a bit harsh!"

Then I noticed the link was to AliExpress, so I'm now in 100% agreement. AliExpress (and Wish, while we're on the subject) is basically a marketplace for cheap Asian knock-offs and badly-made rubbish that nobody in their right mind would buy if they saw it on the high street - and that's before we've even touched on the issue of fake CE marks which are rife in such places. Sadly you'll find the same junk on eBay and Amazon now because they are simply not transparent about where the seller is located. My only hope is when Jeff Bezos takes his trip into space, he bloody well stays there. But I digress.

At least if you buy something cheap from Halfords and it doesn't work, you can take it back for a refund. Good luck doing that when the seller lives behind some bins in a suburb of southern China.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You can get a Garmin or Wahoo Speed sensor for around £25. This attaches to your rear hub. They broadcast in Bluetooth, so your smartphone will be able to pick up the signal. You should be able to use the free Strava App or similar on your phone, to give you ride stats.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The Garmin sensor is £35. I downloaded the Wahoo app and it worked okay with that.
maxmarengo

Post by maxmarengo »

I got this computer on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231539774158. Currently £10.99.

Only wired up the cadence sensor, but you can set up the speed sensor as well (wireless). Works fine.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Darkman wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 11:36am
philvantwo wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 1:10pm That looks a complete load ot (sic) tat.
My first thought, "that's a bit harsh!"

Then I noticed the link was to AliExpress, so I'm now in 100% agreement. AliExpress (and Wish, while we're on the subject) is basically a marketplace for cheap Asian knock-offs and badly-made rubbish that nobody in their right mind would buy if they saw it on the high street - and that's before we've even touched on the issue of fake CE marks which are rife in such places. Sadly you'll find the same junk on eBay and Amazon now because they are simply not transparent about where the seller is located. My only hope is when Jeff Bezos takes his trip into space, he bloody well stays there. But I digress.

At least if you buy something cheap from Halfords and it doesn't work, you can take it back for a refund. Good luck doing that when the seller lives behind some bins in a suburb of southern China.
Sunding are a huge manufacturer of cycle computers, as well as their own brand they have done OEM versions for many companies and this sensor gets pretty good reviews on Amazon overall. Halfords have sold them under their own brand with good reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Bluet ... B01EQTR2NI

http://www.sunding.com/en/plus/list.php?tid=1

http://www.sunding.com/uploads/SuoMingShu/SD-515.pdf

Loads of us are actually riding bicycles made by factories in China which western brands buy from. Just about every US and European brand are buying bikes from Asia and the lions share of those are coming from mainland China. If you have issues with Chinese electronics why on earth are you riding on much more safety critical Chinese bikes especially carbon fibre forks?

Looks a very good design to me where you can move the arm to get the perfect pickup of the magnet.

Personally I don't see aliexpress and wish as the same thing. Many people have bought high quality goods form aliexpress but wish just seems like mostly rubbish to me. Alibaba is used by many UK, US and European importers to bring their goods into their respective countries which is a sister company to Aliexpress.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Eyebrox wrote: 1 Jul 2021, 4:14pm I would keep it simple - and cheap. You can fit a basic Halfords 5-function cycle computer to your bike. They cost about £8 to £10. Attach the sensors to the rear wheel and a seatstay. The cable won't be long enough to reach the handlebars with the main unit but you can zip tie it to the top bar for reading as you pedal. The basic computer will measure speed and distance as well as time. Can be reset to zero at the touch of a button. All the family will be able to keep a log of their efforts and compare past and present performances with themselves and each other (especially when you're all using the same machine with the same settings). You can progress to other devices or an online training regime as your outcomes improve.
+1, this is what I did, works well enough. Paid about £8 for a cheapo wireless computer.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

And I've also done it...... A wireless one from Lidl, attached to the toptube, along with the magnet in the rear wheel and the transmitter attached to a seat stay - it works fine. :)
bjlabuk

Post by bjlabuk »

I would also recommend a computer with a cadence sensor. I have a wired "Cateye Strada Cadence" computer. There is plenty wire to run it from the handlebars to the chain stays. The screen is not very big however, if that is important.