How do tubeless tyres work?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Stevek76

Re: How do tubeless tyres work?

Post by Stevek76 »

Yes, just a separate valve with a rubber 'bung' at the bottom that seals the hole it sits in.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-unive ... esta-valve
A 5mm rip as a fair chance of not sealing but that won 't hinder a tube.
I was meaning rips so large that they probably won't be fixed with the aid of a repair kit. In all honesty I've never experimented with what kind of gap is required to not hold an inner but I have made the mistake of not quite seating a tyre once and only noticing when I'd got to about 40psi and the inner tube suddenly bubbled out & burst ear ringingly loudly! :lol:
Cowsham wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 11:24pm That's the bit that bothers me -- do you need a little co2 canister to blow the tyre up fast enough to make the seal against the rim or do you use sealant on the rims and if you do is it easy to get the tyre off clean the glue off and get the tyre back on again with new sealant or what's the deal with that ?

Would you not be better carrying a new foldable tubeless tyre?
Generally as long as you massage the bead into the rim properly there's enough of a seal to inflate with a regular pump. At least at home. Most guides on the matter do talk about potential need for an initial burst of pressure with various options for that but it's not something I've needed.

Out mid ride might be a different matter, I've yet to have to deal with that. I've only had one suspected puncture on my mtb since running tubeless and it evidently self sealed (just suddenly dropped pressure for no apparent reason). A spare inner tube seems easier to me, I'm not tackling the kind of stuff that is likely to put a gash that bad in a tyre, if I were then a spare tyre would be needed tubeless or not.
simonineaston wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:46pm So, other than saving the weight of one inner tube - the other having to come along in case of a puncture that the sealant can't cope with... what am I missing out on, if I don't adopt The Tubeless Way?
The main benefit for me is eliminating pinch flats on the MTB while still being able to run lower pressures for traction in foul conditions. For road use, well those bikes are still tubed. :)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

All my bikes are tubeless ready -- just haven't took the plunge --
I am here. Where are you?
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 4:34pm All my bikes are tubeless ready -- just haven't took the plunge --
I have thought long and hard about going tubeless, but
1. I don't actually have a lot of punctures, maybe one a year, and they are no bother to fix.
2. I understand that you should change the sealant frequently, at least once a year if not more often (see also point 3, surely doing this is a messy job?).
3. Sealant is messy/sticky and a big puncture can spray it over your frame.
4. Sealing the tyres onto the rim can be troublesome.
5 Tyres can be tight on the rim.

I sure it's great for some people, but if it's just to avoid a rare puncture, I will hold off taking the plunge, at least for now.
geomannie
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Stevek76 wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 4:23pm ....The main benefit for me is eliminating pinch flats on the MTB while still being able to run lower pressures for traction in foul conditions. For road use, well those bikes are still tubed. :)
Exactly the same for me except that I don't have an MTB or ride off-road.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Grandad wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 12:15am I've heard stories of major punctures that have resulted in the sealant being sprayed out over the bike and rider, creating a sticky mess
Yet another reason to fit mudguards. :-)
boblo

Post by boblo »

Probly like most on here, I have a fleet. I've just gone tubeless on 1 as tyres were FOC. My tubed to tubeless ratio is 12:1 so not really a convert/zealot.

I ride gravel. Tubeless lets you run lower pressures without risking snakebites and should avoid a lot of the minor punctures due to thorns etc as they self seal. On the road, they're comfier than tubed as you ride much lower pressures and as a bonus, rolling resistance is lower tyre for tyre compared to tubed. Weight is about net neutral once an inner tube or tape/sealant (jizz) is taken into account.

The downside for me is potential aggro when roadside puncture fixing (which should be reduced compared to tubed) and the need to fettle every few months when the jizz starts to dry out.

When this pair are done, I'll probably buy again on current findings.
Last edited by boblo on 5 Jul 2021, 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

boblo wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 10:49am Probly like most on here, I have a fleet. I've just gone tubeless on 1 as tyres were FOC. My tubed to tubeless ratio is 12:1 so not rely a convert/zealot.

I ride gravel. Tubeless lets you run lower pressures without risking snakebites and should avoid a lot of the minor punctures due to thorns etc as they self seal. On the road, they're comfier than tubed as you ride much lower pressures and as a bonus, rolling resistance is lower tyre for tyre compared to tubed. Weight is about net neutral once an inner tube or tape/sealant (jizz) is taken into account.

The downside for me is potential aggro when roadside puncture fixing (which should be reduced compared to tubed) and the need to fettle every few months when the jizz starts to dry out.

When this pair are done, I'll probably buy again on current findings.
Yes, let us know how you find the transfer to tubeless. I'd like to know more.
I am here. Where are you?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Post by Grandad » 4 Jul 2021, 12:15am

I've heard stories of major punctures that have resulted in the sealant being sprayed out over the bike and rider, creating a sticky mess
Looking at this article on the Cycling Weekly website it seems to be limited to narrow tyres up to 28mm
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve yet to get any puncture in the tubeless tyres I use now, that haven’t been sorted by using a worm. Some of the earlier versions were not quite so good, but I’m finding the simplicity and relative speed of a fix, on my current tubeless to be very handy.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 4:51pm I’ve yet to get any puncture in the tubeless tyres I use now, that haven’t been sorted by using a worm.
So you're an early bird then. Is this on your cost-as-much-as-a-car green bike?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

pliptrot wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 8:34am
Marcus Aurelius wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 4:51pm I’ve yet to get any puncture in the tubeless tyres I use now, that haven’t been sorted by using a worm.
So you're an early bird then. Is this on your cost-as-much-as-a-car green bike?
It is, I was also using some very good tubeless rims and tyres on a Hybrid that got stolen a couple of weeks ago.
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:46pm So, other than saving the weight of one inner tube - the other having to come along in case of a puncture that the sealant can't cope with... what am I missing out on, if I don't adopt The Tubeless Way?
I think the real advantage of tubeless comes with off road tyres where you can ride on much lower pressures without the risk of pinch-flats. If like me, you are on the road then the advantages if any are minimal.
After spending a lot of time reading reviews and forum threads on the subject I converted both my bikes to tubeless about 3 years ago. In that time I have had 3 or 4 punctures, mostly thorns where I was oblivious at the time as the sealant did its job and immediately sealed the hole without any noticeable loss in pressure. I don't carry a spare tube on rides, just a CO2 bottle and a mobile phone. Should I go on a long trip or touring holiday then I would obviously take more.
I think I am right in saying that the weight saving tubeless / tubed is minimal as the saving of not having a tube is offset by the weight of the sealant (60 - 80gms).
One thing I find bewildering is how vexed people can get on this subject. I am happy with the Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless tyres which have a low rolling resistance. I have yet to be stuck with an unfixable flat miles from home. I have never been covered in sealant or experienced any of the other horror stories about tubeless tyres. BUT if you feel happier continuing with tubes then carry on! you are not missing out on a great new invention - as with most things - its down to personal choice :)
pq

Post by pq »

For me the major benefit of road tubeless is how well they roll. It's very noticeable and confirmed by lab tests. Fewer punctures is a benefit but I wouldn't bother just for that. Off road running lower pressures without pinch flats is a benefit well worth having.
One link to your website is enough. G
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh but No but :!:

You will only need one impossible inflation when flat that will change your mind forever :!:
Carrying a tube at a minimum will get you home.
There are plenty places in UK that don't have mobile signal.
I suppose being (forced) a boy scout and coerced into boys brigade I am always belt and braces.

Would I be tempted to using tubeless on a bicycle......yes possible (one day) but I would always carry a tube make that two.
Don't say it will never happen to you.

Two many years fitting tubed and tubless tyres with tyre clamps, tubless 40 years ago.
Raining cold hiding under a tree fixing a flat with no signal and flat batteries.................... :P

Its a bit like........"went for a night ride with my mate"......."he had a flat.....I got cold...........he had another..........then my front light packed up.............a spare font light is less than 100 grams and a small waterproof head light is less than 60 grams..................."

Credit card mates.......................

P.S. Motor cycles tubeless yes........but road only........possible off road with cast wheels like trikes....thats outfit..........thats side cars.........yes.
But solo motorcycle off road tubed all day............

Edited.......the story goes...........after a second failed attempt to fix flat....phoned home............my mate probably cycled home with no front light.
The story is about Tubed tyres on a road bike,I dont know whether that was a spare tube or flat outfit, but presume the latter.
Tubless....................in the hands of inexperienced...........maybe never.

My mate also told me a story of another flat off road .....................it ends "it was tubeless of course :roll: "...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
#bob

Post by #bob »

Just watched a short video on the giant cycles web site showing how to fit and repair tubeless tyres. Utube usually have videos as well, hope this helps #bob.