Brooks etc.....

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: Brooks etc.....

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 9:35am
Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 9:24am
Bonefishblues wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 8:33am

Indeed, well, not unless it was inadvertently amusing, which is fun, or they call out other others' spelling or punctuation. Then their posts become fair game :D
Sometimes, because of ambiguous grammar, syntax and punctuation, meaning is not clear. Bad spelling is just annoying but not usually unclear.
Not sure why you quoted my post to make that point OJ?
I wasn’t meaning to. I was referring to iandusud and his comment in bold. The quote thingy can too easily not reflect our thoughts but I nevertheless apologise.. Occasionally my name has been used against something I never said. Seems I have been called out😀
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 9:55am
Bonefishblues wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 9:35am
Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 9:24am

Sometimes, because of ambiguous grammar, syntax and punctuation, meaning is not clear. Bad spelling is just annoying but not usually unclear.
Not sure why you quoted my post to make that point OJ?
I wasn’t meaning to. I was referring to iandusud and his comment in bold. The quote thingy can too easily not reflect our thoughts but I nevertheless apologise.. Occasionally my name has been used against something I never said. Seems I have been called out😀
Not to worry - it was genuine puzzlement lest I'd missed something, not irritation or a desire to call out :D
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I wouldn't ever call anyone out for poor spelling or whatever - I wouldn't want to embarrass them - that's not what they're here for and it would be rude. Sometimes if there's a typo in a post I quote I'll correct it - although I doubt they'd even notice - I'm not getting at them, just tidying things up - or, well, being (too) fussy! (Yeah, I know I use too many dashes! :lol:)

Bear in mind that some 'mistakes' are just typos caused by using a phone in poor light - or too bright light, even - especially if it's a relatively small screen. I lost my smartphone when I was out with the dog and never found it when I went back to look for it, so went back to an old phone with buttons and it was so much easier and faster to text. The smartphone's screen was too small and although I got used to touchscreen over time, it was a real eye-opener going back to buttons - sometimes 'progress' is a backward step. I would try to correct whatever mistakes I made on the touchscreen as I went along but if I read back the 'sent text' I would sometimes still see typos. I've never actually used a phone for emails or posting on the internet - I'm a luddite in that respect - just the laptop, so I've never posted on here with a phone, but I know a lot of people do, of course.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 8:33am... or they call out other others' spelling or punctuation. Then their posts become fair game
kylecycler wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 11:08am I wouldn't ever call anyone out for poor spelling or whatever - I wouldn't want to embarrass them - that's not what they're here for and it would be rude.
This is such an important point.

But it all changes when posts aren't about usage but are made to do someone down... another poster, some other individual, young people nowadays etc.

Because of this I'm in favour of charitable donations when Skitt's Law applies... and that's only when others are being "corrected".

With this in play this thread could have already produced a sizeable contribution. ; - )

Jonathan
peterb

Post by peterb »

A member of a Whatsapp group I'm part of recently posted the message, 'that looks scummy', when commenting on a picture of other members eating fish and chips. I'm not sure that was quite what she meant. Always read your posts before submitting.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm sure the charity money would only be resting in your account Jonathan

Any excuse to have a bit of this :lol:

https://youtu.be/s9wCMSSjTKk
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
hujev

Post by hujev »

Surprised nobody's mentioned it, but maybe it's at least in part by people speak-typing into their I-phones which then hears and so spells everything wrong?

I'm not sure, have never used one, but judging on the tiny scant typo-chock emails I get from friends who before the i-phone explosion used to type decent emails (letters before that), I imagine this is about the most they can manage these days. Not even sure it exists, but empirical evidence leads me to no other conclusion.

On the other hand, most businesses can't seem to write even a basic polite clear concise business letter anymore either; worse yet many don't seem to consider it important.

'Language changes, you can't hold it back, man' they say - to which I'd reply clarity in communication is always the main goal and poor writing has always been a mark of confusion.
pwa

Post by pwa »

There are a few words, and "Brooks" is one of them, where I have a sort of mental block and have to check every time. It is like I have stored two spellings in my memory, one correct and the other wrong. As for Raleigh, one shows one's age by even knowing the word at all!
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

pwa wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 6:02am There are a few words, and "Brooks" is one of them, where I have a sort of mental block and have to check every time. It is like I have stored two spellings in my memory, one correct and the other wrong. As for Raleigh, one shows one's age by even knowing the word at all!
What I endeavoured to show in my opening post, was the fact that one sees advertisements on this and other Forums with photograph/s of said item advertised. The name Brooks clearly shown on the saddle which can be either mint or shot. Still the seller spells the name of the saddle in the advertisement as 'Brookes'.
I should add that the comment I made above about condition of said item was from experience gleaned over years of the sales on this particular Forum. I see Brooks saddles advertised as having had little use but clearly completely beyond redemption. Some sellers are also not only illiterate but oblivious too!
Happy Days.....
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 6:02am There are a few words, and "Brooks" is one of them, where I have a sort of mental block and have to check every time. It is like I have stored two spellings in my memory, one correct and the other wrong.
This happens with learning lines. The wrong version gets "accepted" and then the performer can't easily work out which is correct.

There are tricks for unlocking it that use something other than what feels right.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The sense of entitlement and of being able to game a lot of modern life is a societal drift that's a direct consequence (in my view) of the huge increase via the internet, of information and easy access to other actors. Concepts like bulletin boards & forums have lead to a colossal increase in the sharing of ideas, but not necessarily in raised levels of literacy. Ironically, at the same time, the same mechanism that allows folk to learn of, repeat and amplify ideas like, say, use of discount codes in retail, is the same mechanism that repeats and amplifies "Brookes" errors. A similar example, amongst hundreds & thousands: a factory where early Moultons were made is almost universally referred to online as Kirby, whereas it is actually Kirkby - just the same idea as the misspelling of Brooks, in that it is fairly straightfoward to find out the facts but mostly, folk don't bother. These errors are regarded by the many as unimportant, as trivial and so the groundswell of inaccuracies gains traction, until, ironcially, the error becomes the mainstream - I have been ticked off in the past for correcting the use of "Kirby", by authors who are adament that they are right and I am wrong, even when it is relatively easy to prove online the correct way to spell the town's name - go figure, as they say!!
I could go on to comment on the way that anonimity and arm's-length interaction (other features of our modern, online, life) can adversly affect transactions, however as there's a ton of benefits as well as drawbacks, I'm inclined to take it on the chin and move on - the last thing I want to do is prompt a host of posts on the perceived injustices and otherwise of ebay. !!
Last edited by simonineaston on 12 Jul 2021, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 2:10pm Raised this before on here years ago. ................

When I was taught to type, there was a single space after punctuation marks, but a double-space after a full stop.
Full stops are included in question marks and exclamation marks of course.

Can't do that on here.

What about these sentences?
Why can't I, as an adult, produce a double-space after a full stop? Why can't I type the way I want to type? I think it's stupid. Also annoying.
Working with a manual typewriter, the style as well as the content is hard-coded in to what you actually type. The double-space after a full-stop is a convention of style (I was taught it too).

HTML rendering on a computer screen is a different game, and the content (the characters you type) are independent of the style with which it is presented (that's the job of a Style Sheet). HTML takes any amount of white space (formed by Tabs or the space key) as being "a bit of white space", and will typically render that as just a unit of white space. If you want more it is possible, but the way you're used to doing it on a manual typewriter doesn't work in this different context (it's not a manual typewriter, why should it?).
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001662.htm gives you some options, but I would suggest you do as I did when I first came across this in the early days of HTML and realise that, actually, having the computer worry about legible presentation rather than me having to do it is a Good Thing...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Folks may spell Brooks Saddles as Brookes, as Oxford Brookes University is a well known seat of learning somewhere in the nether regions of the country, not unlike the saddles really.
Raleigh may be mistaken for Rayleigh in Essex.
P1140199.JPG
What would Wally have said ?
Claude (sic) Butler is just people embracing their european status obviously, though it does make me wonder when I see
that spelling next to a picture of the bike in a for sale ad', with Claud Butler spelt out in bold letters on the down-tube.
Kirkby where the Moultons were once manufactured is pronounced 'Kirby' by local people, there is also a West Kirby not far away on the Wirral, just to bemuse the unwary, so confusion is hardly unexpected surely.

Good luck to the OP selling his Throns elsewhere on the forum.
Nu-Fogey
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Thorns made from Columbus Thron?