Alternative to Specialized Fatboy tyres in 26in size.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gearoidmuar

Alternative to Specialized Fatboy tyres in 26in size.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I used these for years on my touring bike which is a 26in Thorn Raven tour. Can't get them anymore. The alternatives I'm using are noticeably slower.

Is there a similar slick narrow tyre with a flexible carcass available?

There were Panaracer tyres of similar character, but fatter back then too. Are they still around?
colin54

Re: Alternative to Specialized Fatboy tyres in 26in size.

Post by colin54 »

What sort of width are you looking for ? Schwalbe Marathon Supreme in 26'' x1.6'' is a comfortable fast rolling semi-slick.
Nu-Fogey
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

The width isn't the man concern. The speed is. I've been using Schwalbe Kojak and before that Schwalbe Big Apple raceline. Both of these are very durable and I got 9000 miles out of a pair of the latter, but for real speed a flexible carcass is the most important thing...In that regard, puncture resistant tyres lose some speed due to the materials used for said resistance...
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I too would suggest Marathon Supremes, available in 1.6" and 2.0". They are remarkably hardwearing as well.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Gearoidmuar wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 7:17pm I used these for years on my touring bike which is a 26in Thorn Raven tour. Can't get them anymore. The alternatives I'm using are noticeably slower.

Is there a similar slick narrow tyre with a flexible carcass available?

There were Panaracer tyres of similar character, but fatter back then too. Are they still around?
Hi, Panaracer still make Pasela in 26 X 1.75”. I find them fast, supple and comfy. Moderate puncture protection. Some report problems with fragile sidewalls. Never had a problem myself.

The fastest rolling, most supple and comfy 26” tyre I have used is by Rene Herse. 26 X 1.8”. Had to sell a kidney for a pair but worth it IMHO. Sublime.
However, bear in mind no puncture protection at all. Perhaps an issue depending on the intended use.

Have used Schwalbe Kojaks, Big Apples, Supremes, Mondials and City Jets over the years in 26” size, 1.75 - 2” widths. My preference would be for Paselas or the Rene Herse ones if speed / low rolling resistance / comfort are priorities. I find both pretty grippy too.
Best wishes,
Luke
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Thanks Luke. I've used most of those, but City Jets only in 20 inch size. I'll try to get Paselas which is what the bike came with first. I thought they were pretty good!