Ribble Gran Fondo - views?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chris_suffolk

Ribble Gran Fondo - views?

Post by chris_suffolk »

I've a friend after a new (to him) road bike, and he's managed to find a Ribble Gran Fondo. It's looks it good condition, and well looked after - going to see it in the flesh on Saturday.

Does anybody have any views about them? Good, bad, specific things to look for (other than general stuff when buying second hand)

Thanks in advance.
mumbojumbo

Re: Ribble Gran Fondo - views?

Post by mumbojumbo »

They sound a bit pretentious as the Ribble is a British river.If it was the Po or Tiber or Fluvius Gran Fondo it would make sense.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Middle of the road carbon road bike not bad not great.

Ribble have a long history - who remembers the Ribble and Graham weigh ads in the back of the cycling weekly.

Now they are good bikes giving canyon a run for thier money.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I'd avoid it.............fitted with a press fit bottom bracket!! I recall you were having trouble with yours James and a bike shop at Ludlow couldn't help you.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Plus1 if it is pressfit. in my experience and I 've changed quite a few... press fit is what its described as but i've seen me having to shim them and even then not totally happy with the result. I had a banker chap that i often assist last week with a meck issue in a TCR hidden cabled Giant, he's not savvy around a bike and the cellphone conversation was lacking in detail, he landed at 6.30,In a hurry he says, hioked the Giant out of his SUV , I reached for the meck cable at the rear end and the whole cable came out right from the lever, whoa, I says we have trouble this is broken at the lever inside the lever and jammed the workings.. he left... i had visions of a new Ultegra STi lever needed. but no, i pulled the lever off partially dismantled it and nicest quickest lever issue solved in mins, new cable, set the gears up again and on the stand noticed maybe 15mm of Sideways movement in either crank when hand pedalling on the stand..press fit.. 2 hours later, he collected it, sorry man i don't do these PF anymore, explaining why..job for the Giant dealer and he'll likely sell or try to... a new machine....But Gran fondo weren't all press fit.. the early ones were bsc i built one for a mate and he asked me to use it for a few days.. rode well..will
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

philvantwo wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 8:58pm I'd avoid it.............fitted with a press fit bottom bracket!! I recall you were having trouble with yours James and a bike shop at Ludlow couldn't help you.
How do you remember the finer details I'd my lejog!

Since then it's been fine - done 1000's dirty miles as my spring / autumn bike.

Putting them in with grease is imho the problem. Mine creaked after I replaced it, and overly lubricated it. Should be put in dry with help of a freezer to shrink the bearings.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Maybe the freezer in the Ludlow bikeshop had packed up?