Bycicle serial number...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
James Harold

Bycicle serial number...

Post by James Harold »

Hi all,
I've recently acquired a raleigh RRA,the serial number is located on the seat stem(not bottom bracket),it has a AA under the numbers..
My limited research suggest 1957!,a rescent ad for a 1957 RRA has the serial number ending with AA...is this proof?
Would appreciate the help,the bike and its hardwear etc suggest later(a bitser possibly)
Thanks
James
Percy

Re: Bycicle serial number...

Post by Percy »

James Harold wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 6:01pm Hi all,
I've recently acquired a raleigh RRA,the serial number is located on the seat stem(not bottom bracket),it has a AA under the numbers..
My limited research suggest 1957!,a rescent ad for a 1957 RRA has the serial number ending with AA...is this proof?
Would appreciate the help,the bike and its hardwear etc suggest later(a bitser possibly)
Thanks
James
I don't have a clue but perhaps Sheldon Brown might have some info for you.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/dating.html
If I knew how to ride a bike, safely, I'd do it every time.
James Harold

Post by James Harold »

Hi yes ,I've looked closely at Sheldons site,no joy, the ad for the 57 rra had the serial number located on the stem and AA as is mine..anyway the wheels are 1978 as is the hurst gear bits,so it obviously had a fixat some point.. gb super hood levers tho look 50,s..had the test run yesterday..bit small for me..may sell..
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

1957 cat p12.jpg
I thought you might like this.
James Harold

Post by James Harold »

Thanks for the picture,my paintwork although worn is the same as this model which initially made me think weather it was earlier than I thought,it also has the in hub gear pulley 'eye' under the cross rail..the previous owner said it was purchased in 67,
Thanks again
James