Optimum Cycling Position

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: Optimum Cycling Position

Post by mattheus »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 4:37pm
My point. In spite of a difficulty which cannot be resolved by saddle height, my body managed to adapt satisfactorily. So I deduce that the exact prescriptions of the fitters are not quite as crucial as they would have you believe. The old rule of thumb worked well even in my tricky case.
My point:
You seem convinced that all fitters use a prescriptive, precise formula to determine dimensions (such as saddle height).

Myself and others have said that many fitters will assess you individually, and that you are not unusual in having asymmetries.

As you haven't been to a fitter (IIRC), how can you know they would all use the wrong methods for cases like yours?? :-)
bjlabuk

Re: Optimum Cycling Position

Post by bjlabuk »

st599_uk wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 1:37pm
bjlabuk wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 1:10pm After some research I ordered and have just received Phil Burt's book "Bike Fit". Looking quickly through it I think it will answer most of my questions. Happy cycling !
Would be good to get a review after you've read it, and how it pertains to the less competitive, more leisure cyclist.
Ok, Phil Burt was the lead Physiotherapist for British Cycling during the Olympic games 2008-2012 and a member of Team Sky. The book is geared towards improving performance and reducing injury, but there is advice for all cyclists. It is very practical, contains very little theory and has lots of photographs and diagrams. Price is very reasonable. If I say anymore you will just think I am on commission !