Busch and Muller repair

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Re: Busch and Muller repair

Post by simonineaston »

The casing is probably welded together and it is essentially disposable.
Not the situtation in the example of the lamp in question. The aluminium heatsink lid is attached to the rest of the shell by two short screws, locating into threaded brass inserts. Nice :-)
Lumotec lamp, lid removed
Lumotec lamp, lid removed
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Can you get access to the board ? could you post a picture, if you could get it to me I could probally fix it for you "if the fix wont affect the weather seal "( I can guarantee it )
I could maybe add a flying lead for you connect
Pete... I think
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

rogerzilla wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:53pm Designed in Germany, made to a price in China.
Not correct. B&M makes every part in-house in their factory in Germany, except the circuit boards which they source from a neighbouring electronic manufacturer.

Since they own the injection mould machines, they can continue making old models like the halogen bulb "Lumotec Basic Standard #170" or the halogen "Toplight #327AS". The Lumotec #170 is basically a design from 1991, and the Toplight design is probably almost as old.

All the B&M front lights I have owned can be disassembled completely, making it easy to replenish the termal paste to the LED and similar. The B&M Luxos also seem possible to disassemble by unscrewing two torx screws:
Instructions here:
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/ques ... trol-cable
--
Regards
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Wow!

Thanks for that.

Jonathan
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

interestedcp wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 9:31pm
rogerzilla wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:53pm Designed in Germany, made to a price in China.
Not correct. B&M makes every part in-house in their factory in Germany, except the circuit boards which they source from a neighbouring electronic manufacturer.

Since they own the injection mould machines, they can continue making old models like the halogen bulb "Lumotec Basic Standard #170" or the halogen "Toplight #327AS". The Lumotec #170 is basically a design from 1991, and the Toplight design is probably almost as old.

All the B&M front lights I have owned can be disassembled completely, making it easy to replenish the termal paste to the LED and similar. The B&M Luxos also seem possible to disassemble by unscrewing two torx screws:
Instructions here:
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/ques ... trol-cable
Thanks. I have removed my incorrect post.

I have a lot of B&M lights from the Avy up to the IQ-X, along with some of the rear lights. Build quality could certainly be improved - the Toplight 4D tends to drop its lens in a slight knock (mine is superglued on, my friend's is held together with tape) the Ixon IQ Premium has a very weak battery cover catch, and the electronic switches on the IQ-X and IQ-XS have a mind of their own. The mechanical switch on the cheap Avy is better.

Overall they are good value for money if bought from Germany (UK prices can be double). Sadly, this is rather harder than it was last year.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cheers for that, interestedcp - looks good! :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)