6 speed freewheel 32T ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cycle tramp

Re: 6 speed freewheel 32T ?

Post by cycle tramp »

jimlews wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 7:45pm I've got two of the IRD six speed freewheels in use - both 13 to 32.
One has been reliable and trouble free.
The other feels as if it is about to fail at any moment, but just keeps on going (touch wood).
There are intermittently, cracking noises when I apply power or sometimes just when changing gear.
I've taken it apart several times and re-greased it. It is silent for a while afterwards, then the ominous noises restart.
The internal design is such that the two pawls are served by a common circlip type spring. I think that the spring is not strong enough for the job it's required to do, causing slow engagement of the pawls and sometimes the whole thing momentarily seizes solid.
I'm currently rebuilding my ird freewheel, it's been trouble free for about four and a bit years, then started to make a horrible clonking sound. It turns out that the bearings were worn. When you take out all the little ball bearings in the off side race (the smallest one furthest away from the wheel) there should be a number of thin shims. If you remove the right number of shims, put all the bearings back and tighten the front cover, then the wear is removed and the clonking noise goes away (hopefully for another 4 years :-) )
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

One thing I've noticed with mine; the cover is chrome plated; including the bearing track.
The chrome has flaked off where the balls have been in contact;
don't know where those shards of chrome have ended up,
but it's another reason to strip and deep clean regularly.
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

This project hasn't quite gone to plan !
The bike shop, v helpful, tried and failed to remove the freewheel. Old style 2 pegs and turn, Suntour .Breaking both their tools !
So do I risk trashing a lovely campag record hub and probably the wheel or admit defeat, and get fit.
I think I know the answer, any suggestions .
thanks again for all the advice and info.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

alan dun wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 6:34pm This project hasn't quite gone to plan !
The bike shop, v helpful, tried and failed to remove the freewheel. Old style 2 pegs and turn, Suntour .Breaking both their tools !
So do I risk trashing a lovely campag record hub and probably the wheel or admit defeat, and get fit.
I think I know the answer, any suggestions .
thanks again for all the advice and info.
Jim Lews explained how to remove the face plate to lubricate the freewheel.
If you need to go further and remove the whole thing, remove the face plate as he describes.
Then put a cloth to catch the bits, over the front and tip off the outer part of the main body, balls and pawls, leaving just the inner body.
Using soft vice jaws get a grip on this and unscrew it.
A thread will hold the pawls in place (the balls are held by a smear of grease) as you reassemble, if you need to.
If you have any difficulty, or my explanation is incoherent, ask again.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

thanks.
Ok I understand, so far. the soft jaws sound worrying, though, and there will be a risk presumably to the nice, though old, hub.
I am not worried about losing the freewheel...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

alan dun wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 7:00pm thanks.
Ok I understand, so far. the soft jaws sound worrying, though, and there will be a risk presumably to the nice, though old, hub.
I am not worried about losing the freewheel...
I have taken off many freewheels this way, without damage to the hub.
The soft jaws are only needed to hold the freewheel and to avoid damage to it, but since you don't want to preserve it, they are not necessary. The recesses for the pawls give a useful purchase for the vice, especially if you don't mind damaging them.
To be absolutely clear, soft jaws fit between the jaws of the vice and the work object, in this case the freewheel inner body, to save it from damage.
The only problem is if the hub is not built into a wheel, but if it is, the rim gives plenty of leverage.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Good demonstration in this video:

Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

slowster wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 7:39pm Good demonstration in this video:

Excellent. A moving picture is worth....
If you do not have a Record a Stilsons will do fine.
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

looks so easy I might offer it as a service !
thanks
Percy

Post by Percy »

alan dun wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 9:48pm Percy,
Another thought...
if you can't use the cyclone 13/32, do you want to sell it ?
Sorry about the late response. I didn't know about your question.

I sent it back for a refund. I was out the shipping cost, but it was a $70 freewheel. I even put it in the bike shop and it was they who mentioned it's not indexed to match my shifter.
If I knew how to ride a bike, safely, I'd do it every time.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Did a little experiment...

Removed the sprockets from my IRD freewheel.
Removed the sprockets from a (pre rivetted five speed) Shimano freewheel.
Offered up the IRD sprockets to the Shimano freewheel.

They fit ! Mostly.

Apart from the fact that the Shimano freewheel will only take
five of the six IRD sprockets (the freewheel body isn't long enough)
And, there is some minor "dressing" needed with a file to one locating lug on each sprocket.

But a qualified success I think.

One other snag is that the threads on the locking sprockets are not quite compatible
i.e. will only screw on the "wrong" body so far before becoming worryingly tight.
So will have to use the correct locking sprocket (i.e. Shimano)

I'm now on the look out for a six speed Shimano freewheel (pre rivetted sprocket type)
to attempt a permanent conversion to a worry - free wide ratio six speed without the 'Snap, Crack and Popple!'
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

If you're looking at changing thesprickets on a freehub body, you might find thus thread useful

viewtopic.php?p=1581131#p1581131

Brucey, we wish you a full recovery. The forum isn't the same without you. And personally speaking, I miss you.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

"Standing on the shoulders of giants" etc.