Have I ruined my brooks B17?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nantman85

Have I ruined my brooks B17?

Post by nantman85 »

My brooks B17 has 660 miles on it and as its breaking in with the sit bone dimples, I was getting some perineum pain on my brooks B17.

For some reason I decided I would add my own cut out :lol:

I added a custom cut out and applied some proofide as I had not done it for a good few months. I don't think I have done that bad a job with the cut out so tried it on its first journey on Monday and it felt amazing, 9 miles to work and back, did not need a chamois and no perineum pain.

However yesterday I rode to work again with just unpadded cycling shorts and some mtb shorts over the top and it did not feel quite right, felt as though my sit bones were hitting the cantle plate at the back like it was not back far enough. I have 73.5 degree sta and a nitto s84 and this has never been a problem before. Rode another 9 miles in my lunch and the same problem. Riding home I started messing with the angle and then it became unbearable.

Does anyone who has done their own cut out know if the cut out made the effective sitting position change?

Do I need to add some tension or just drill some holes in the side and lace it.

I will post a picture tonight.
simonineaston

Re: Have I ruined my brooks B17?

Post by simonineaston »

One of my hide-top saddles suffered an accident when it became saturated with water, during an overnight storm. The resulting super-soft top was then distorted by my having to continue the tour of Brittany that I was in the middle of! I thought the saddle (a brand new Gilles Berthoud...) was ruined, however I laced it when I got back to blighty and the results were perfectly acceptable - indeed the lacing allows one to customise the tension across the top. Go for it, I say - although you do really need a proper leather punch to make a good job of it. However, I have no experience of the effect on the integrity that likely results from removing portions of the top.
EDIT: liberal application of Proofide can soften the top rather too much, too so that may need to be factored in.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I have a B17 Imperial on one of my bikes and a B17 std on another. Both are laced. I suspect that lacing might be what you need to do.
nantman85

Post by nantman85 »

I had a brooks imperial and I rode that laceless while it was breaking in and never experienced this but it was a lot newer so I guess that could be a factor.
I guess lacing is the way forward to give its top some shape again.
My slot it a little longer than a standard imperial slot.
scottg

Post by scottg »

I had a B-17, small steel rivet version, that was breaking in too quick, drilled and laced it,
with the laces above the rails, it has held its shape for 5+ years.
Top has remained flat, not getting sway backed like some Brooks I've seen.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
nantman85

Post by nantman85 »

Cheers for your input guys.
I too think that it has broken very quickly with a combination of riding with no chamois coupled with the proofide and then the cut out.
Think I have shocked the leather! It did feel as though I was sitting on the rails but to look at it is not sagged or banana like.
It is more the structural integrity - laces it is. Hopefully it brings it back from the brink as its only 5 months old! Poor Brooks!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've cut a big hole in my £100 saddle. Have I ruined it?

I eagerly await the photo, but not sure I would be doing that to any of my Brooks.
ossie

Post by ossie »

nantman85 wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 9:45am My brooks B17 has 660 miles on it and as its breaking in with the sit bone dimples, I was getting some perineum pain on my brooks B17.
My Brooks break in was 700 miles. I fear you moved slightly to soon :wink:
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I made an Imperial - actually having a 10% longer slit. I found I needed to lace it. I always wear padded shorts so no problems with comfort. It's deformed a bit but no more that my standard saddle. I'm starting to break in a new old stock Brooks - its got very thick leather so is rock hard. I shall paint it with neetsfoot oil. I'm auditioning numerous other saddles too - too many to mention :roll:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Where's the photo?
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

I am on my second Brooks and I have come to the realisation that they are crap. I mean, just start with the idea of a saddle that should not be left/used in the rain! From there it's all downhill. I do bike touring so when it rains your bike is in the rain. And the bike tourers are the most religious about Brooks. Go figure.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

keefwaddo wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 2:49pm I am on my second Brooks and I have come to the realisation that they are crap. I mean, just start with the idea of a saddle that should not be left/used in the rain! From there it's all downhill. I do bike touring so when it rains your bike is in the rain. And the bike tourers are the most religious about Brooks. Go figure.
The trick is to cover your saddle.
You may see, tucked under the leather saddle, a plastic bag or a shower cap.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
willcee

Post by willcee »

interesting.. however I would blame your new Italian owners, using look good but inferior quality leather, which doesn't ride well with anyone giving it a hard time, break in too soon, sway backed, and cast aside with various complaints in any Bike forum you care to look at.. friend who lives in Nice, I rebuilt a machine for him and sold him a pair of black Brooks leather grips so he bought a new 17 to have them matching and lots of pleasing comments amongst his French cohorts, sent me a lovely pic of it parked high up Nice town and looking over the harbour after 5 months at the start of 2020.. swaybacked..!!!it looked as if it had 10000miles on it, I commented on it and told him to get back to the sellers... and he's no heavy weight.. so the quality has gone down the pan big style...I have one tan B17 bought from spa late 2004 so pre sale.. its still good, however I now ride Berthoud,on my 4th year with the Menthe, the new leather again B17 ish clone San Marco, and have a few Spa B17 clones .. will
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 3:02pm
The trick is to cover your saddle.
You may see, tucked under the leather saddle, a plastic bag or a shower cap.
Planet Bike makes a saddle cover that rolls up tiny and has a Velcro strap to wrap round a seat rail so there's no danger of it falling out.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

interesting.. however I would blame your new Italian owners,
I have a B17 from 2014. It has quite thin leather and is sway backed. However, it has done 45,000mls at least and is still comfortable. I shall be at the end of the adjuster soon though..........