Child's First Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
groberts

Child's First Bike

Post by groberts »

My eldest granddaughter's 5th birthday is approaching and after successfully using a balance bike for the past year she's now ready for her first 'real' bike.

Being some +30-years out-of-touch with childrens' bikes, I would appreciate any guidance and / or recommendations for bikes that would be best suited for this situation?

Furthemore, on a point of detail:

Are gears a good idea at this stage?
What wheel size is likely to be best - at 106cm tall she's average height?

Graham
Jdsk

Re: Child's First Bike

Post by Jdsk »

My first choice would be (and has been) a good used Islabike.

These often appear locally on Gumtree etc as well as in dedicated cycling sources.

https://www.islabikes.co.uk
... has information on sizes and models.

No special insights on gears, sorry.

Hope you all have as much fun as we do.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/collections ... rter-bikes

I've no idea what the supply situation is just now, but 10 years ago I bought one for my then 5 year-old grandson and it's been ideal for all three of my grandchildren who have all now moved on to larger models.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Agree - my daughter's first bike beyond balance bike was an Isla. Use the Isla site to size her up, as it were. You will get all or most of your money back when you come to re-sell as she grows.

No gears are needed until the next bike, and I'm not aware of any that are fitted with them in her size.

ETA
Do go with the Isla size recommendation, even if it won't last as long as the next size up. At the moment that's a 16" wheel. It makes the cycle so much more weildy for the child and will encourage them to learn. My wife missed our daughter's first ride, so quickly did she demand the pedals were put on after an initial balance scoot. :D
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 15 Jul 2021, 9:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Isla bike - probably a 20s. Take the pedals off let her get used to the weight, brakes steering etc as a balance bike, then put the pedals on and see how she goes…

EDIT: 16in might be better. But probably not for long. But would probably be easier to learn.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Hi, Like most posters here, I'd vouch for Islabikes. they are well thought out for kids and reasonably lighweight. The potential downsides are cost (£400-500 new!!) and at 5years of age, the relative rapid outgrowing of it and need to then buy the next size up.
However, as posters have said, you often recoup most of your money selling them on. We've done this on ebay and virtually broke even on bikes we bought new. We actually made a profit on ones we bought secondhand!
I'd say go for 20 inch wheels.
The other option is to just buy a cheap new or used non Islabike at this stage and consider them later when you think your child will do longer distances. At this stage, where you're not likely to cover long rides nor hills, I don't think that gears really matter. The key thing is to make riding fun, eg lots of encouragement, stops, treats (sweets, cakes ice-creams etc) so that your child associates it with a positive & fun experience and forgets just how much effort has gone into the ride.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Islabikes are the obvious choice. Frog bikes are a close second option IMO.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

matt_twam_asi wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 12:54am Islabikes are the obvious choice. Frog bikes are a close second option IMO.
They are - I think Islas just shade it for a first bike because they are ever so slightly lighter. Thereafter, I think there are more options incl Frog.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Many thanks for the replies, however, there seem to be no new Isla bikes avaiblable at the moment and second hand looks like non-starter too, so will need to look elsewhere.

Will therefore take a look at Frogs for the moment and maybe line up an Isla for her next bike.

Graham
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

There are other options too:

https://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/bikes/smal ... ch-wheels/

cf also the Bike Club mentioned - it's an interesting idea IMHO.
robgul

Post by robgul »

As I think I've mentioned on here in the past - I have two daughters that have children (now 8 & 12, and 5 & 8) - I decided that I would provide bikes for the children swapping them out as they grew (buying bigger ones, selling the smaller ones as they are grown out of)

The plan has worked a treat - the children have the benefit of really good quality bikes (exclusively Isla) to enjoy riding - all have been bought/sold on ebay or friends - rule of thumb is that I get about 70% of the original price I paid when I sell them on (none have been brand new)

Interestingly Islabikes do (or did?) have a purchase and trade-in scheme . . . worth a look.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

groberts wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 12:42pm Many thanks for the replies, however, there seem to be no new Isla bikes avaiblable at the moment and second hand looks like non-starter too, so will need to look elsewhere.

Will therefore take a look at Frogs for the moment and maybe line up an Isla for her next bike.

Graham
Frog bikes are so close top isla bikes except for the way isla bikes hold their value secondhand. Our son is on his second. The first frog, actually his second pedal bike, had him doing 40 miles a day touring with a couple of panniers. Going up to 20" wheels from his previous 16" bike from another make made his cycling so much better.

We bought the mx16 16" bike too learn on. As soon as he actually decided he wanted to learn he picked it up. The smaller bike until that time had stabilizers. The 20" frog was a reward for learning to ride. On his first ride out it was like a quantum leap in his cycling ability. The better and bigger wheeled bike had him going faster, with more confidence and doing stunts in the weekend after learning to ride. He was standing up on the bike, riding with no feet on the pedals, hands free and sticking his legs in all sorts of difficult to ride places. Got us very worried but that was the effect of a very good bike on his confidence.

BTW 4.5 years old and doing a lightly loaded cycle tour up to 40 miles per day. That's good going and a good advert for what very good bike can do for a new, young cyclist. Frog is what he's now riding a 24" wheel. He's possibly got one or two more frogs to come before his first adult bike.
robgul

Post by robgul »

groberts wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 12:42pm Many thanks for the replies, however, there seem to be no new Isla bikes avaiblable at the moment and second hand looks like non-starter too, so will need to look elsewhere.

Graham
I would suggest that some of the Ridgeback junior bikes are worth a look - probably next in the pecking order from Isla and Frog (when I ran an LBS we sold a lot - and people seemed to get good resale prices if they looked after them)
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Our son's first bike was a ridgeback mx16. Bought because it was a lot lighter than halfords specials for kids. Also, we couldn't justify a more expensive one at that stage as we didn't think it would fit him for that long. Plus so much stuff to pass on of his we really couldn't be bothered with the hassle of selling on.

Imho it was mid way between halfords bso for kids and a frog/isla. With hindsight I wish we'd found out about frog brand sooner because with hindsight it would have been worth it to get that better first bike.

I really cannot recommend ridgeback kids bike because they are only halfway to a good bike. Neither cheap nor good. A compromise that I don't think works.
tod28

Post by tod28 »

I picked up a Carrera Cosmos Kids Bike 14" Wheel White, from Facebook Market Place locally, for my 3 yr old grandson for £40. It isn't that much different to an Isla bike in terms of frame and components and about the same weight. It even had a new set of tyres! A 16" would probably be a better size for a 5 year old and they are around also. However the it is the only child's bike in that size which is OK. Saves committing the cash on an Isla o Frog - both of which are very good, but expensive, and the worry of it being "lost" in use and having to sell on later.