Folder for tall people

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Lookrider

Re: Folder for tall people

Post by Lookrider »

Have a dahon cadenza folding mtb/hybrid for sale in north east area
Circa 300 theres no frame size on it
PH

Post by PH »

I have a Brompton and an Airnimal Joey, plus have also had a basic 20" wheel Dahon.
If space really is such a premium I doubt there's much competes with the Brompton, though I'm not a fan of the ride.
The Joey takes up less floor space unfolded than folded, with the bars turned and the seatpost dropped it fits easily into one of these racks as long as it doesn't have a full rear guard.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402958584486 ... SwyDVg3BPw
I'm 6'3" and my one size fits all Joey if fine with a fair amount of upwards adjustment, a 5'2" friend also rides it with no problem, though they might have benefited from a shorter stem. New ones come in two sizes, but I haven't looked at the detail. It's good fun to ride, a bit slower than a full size hybrid bike, but the handling is fine, I'm happy to tour on it. Quite expensive new, but decent second hand ones come up fairly frequently for around £500 - £700

I wasn't keen on the Dahon, though it was the cheapest model, folded it was as bulky as the Airnimal and the ride was no better than the Brompton. It still served it's purpose.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

What I've decided to do is wait. Sounds like an odd option but he's not desperate for one and I think in Aberdeen in winter cycling could be tough. Part of his PhD is in Weymouth and from speaking to him he might be there a couple of months or a couple of years, depends how it works out and he intends to head down next spring. So he'll give up his flat. When he/we look for a new one, bike storage will be on the list.
I've looked at all the options suggested for folders for him and they have been very helpful, I think a Brompton would be less than ideal at his height and his tendency to lose things carelessly.... and I think a bigger wheeled folder would be better. But I'll wait and see what happens next year and if he can take his (enormous) bike from home which it doesn't matter if he loses as it's old and cheap.