Frame with surface rust

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mumbojumbo

Frame with surface rust

Post by mumbojumbo »

I have a 1990s Orbit bike in Reynolds 531 with in environ of bottom bracket White frame formerly. Unconcerned about looks but do wish to curb further oxidation. Can I spray lacquer directly of do I need to prime and paint? If so what do people suggest?
1942alexander

Re: Frame with surface rust

Post by 1942alexander »

If I were you I would go for Hammerite Kurust. Don't dip the brush into the container, pour a little out and use that. Throw away what's left over. It will turn the rust black so probably will need some paint work.
Cheers...
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Are you sure it is only on the exterior? I would remove the bottom bracket to check, coat the interior with rust inhibiting wax and then use the same stuff on the exterior in the hope of slowing the progress.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

In my yoof, we used to wipe the frame over with a rag with a few spots of clean 3-in-one on it, you could try that as an easy one - or of course wd40, which you could spray into the frame tubes just-in-case.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Just painting over the rust will not stop it. The rust will just come through again and possibly eat into the steel underneath.
Either, as suggested above, use a "Curust" treatment or, if very light, then fine sandpaper it down to the metal.
Jenolite and others are similar to Curist and I believe are basically phosphoric acid ??
( I wouldn't call them rust removers more like rust neutralisers.)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

Coincidentally I have also just bought a lovely early Orbit Gold Medal audax style with a spattering of light rust spots.
Have lightly oiled with a rag, but I fear the long term solution may be a re-spray. Replacement decals are available from H Lloyd.
Mine is a pearlescent white which is very attractive, but I fear it's gonna cost £200 plus to re-spray.
Apparently Argos bikes are good at re-sprays. Nice bike.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cycleruk wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 8:57pmEither, as suggested above, use a "Curust" treatment or, if very light, then fine sandpaper it down to the metal.
Jenolite and others are similar to Curist and I believe are basically phosphoric acid ??
( I wouldn't call them rust removers more like rust neutralisers.)
Yes, often phosphoric acid and tannic acid et al.

They form stable compounds with iron that don't erupt in the way that rust does. Most of them go black or blue-black.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_converter

Jonathan
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I've had good results using Kurust or similar. The hammerite rust remover is a different type of product and actually removes (rather than converts) the rust. I have also found this product to be successful, however it is a LOT more work and time-consuming than the rust converters, and the result needs to be washed and dried thoroughly before painting in order to shop and further rusting.. Unless it is a real 'labour of love' I'd suggest the rust converters would be the products of choice.
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

A quick look,... seems Tool station stock Rustin's rust converter £7.50 a 250 gm jar.
worth a go
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Thanks to all -will try rust converter or similar and then paint ?We paid £100 for complete bike so £200 on a re-spray seems disproportionate! My wife is getting a Trevor Jarvis "TJ" Special for £150 and this will be her principal bike
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Used Jenolte geland some red oxide paint found in cellar, finished with Dulux non-drip gloss. Looks awful but being rank ugly myself looks dont matter.