drop bars - cable channels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Re: drop bars - cable channels

Post by simonineaston »

Same topic, different aspect. You folks who use bar-end shifters, how do you run the shifter cable? Specifically, where does the cable break out of the wrap? Do you route the cable snug up to the 'bar all the way to the stem end of the wrap, or do you have it emerge half way along in an effort to create gentler radii for the cable run?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
freiston

Post by freiston »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 8:59pm Same topic, different aspect. You folks who use bar-end shifters, how do you run the shifter cable? Specifically, where does the cable break out of the wrap? Do you route the cable snug up to the 'bar all the way to the stem end of the wrap, or do you have it emerge half way along in an effort to create gentler radii for the cable run?
I feel that I should have it emerge at the bottom of the bends but I just can't bring myself to do it (something about the aesthetics bothers me). I run mine under the bottom of the drop, on the inner side of the bar at the brake lever and then running alongside the brake cable under the flats to come out where the bar tape finishes. When in indexed mode, I have had some minor issues with gear changing but I can't be sure whether they were due to cable run/housing/muck, hanger alignment or adjustment/lever slip. I've been in pure friction mode for a couple of years now and still occasionally get the odd ghost or sluggish shift - they are rare though - probably my technique. I've checked the alignment of the hanger and it seemed ok. It's certainly rare enough for it not to bother me.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:02am
Is that an option? Do you get the same bars with or without?
Not an option, rather that 'bars with cable channels tend to cost more than their plain-vanilla cousins. Personally I rather like the feel of the ridge that results from the wrapped cable.
I think you have answered your own question. Which is often the best way.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I love to hear from other folk - they'll often point out something obvious that I've over-looked - or else have some novel take that's a great idea! :-)
Talking of which, my new Moulton was supplied with MKS Ezy quick-release pedals - see here. Best Thing Since Siced Bread - or pointless gimmick? There's a range, based on the same idea, inc. clipless. I'll report back soon...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

"Best thing since sliced bread" assumes everyone likes sliced bread. I don't! (I'm not expressing any opinion on the Ezy pedals though cos I know nothing about them.)