Handlebar bag map case

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Goose33

Handlebar bag map case

Post by Goose33 »

I am looking for a map case to sit on the top of my handlebar bag but don't know what make it is. Does anyone recognise the manufacturers's logo on it's front. There are two press studs on the front which would indicate that it is possible to fasten one on the top.
Attachments
20210723_194435.jpg
Bmblbzzz

Re: Handlebar bag map case

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Altura.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

It is Altura.
The top velcro and studs hold the map case and the bottom velcro holds a small detachable pocket.
I have the same bag and my map case wore out, the velcro separated from the case and the seal also broke. The nearest I could find to replace it was one of these https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/alt ... -map-case/ but I never got round to buying one as it seemed overkill for my requirements. There are some websites that offered spare map cases but they were all out of stock when I looked at Christmas.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Goose33 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 5:47am I am looking for a map case to sit on the top of my handlebar bag but don't know what make it is. Does anyone recognise the manufacturers's logo on it's front. There are two press studs on the front which would indicate that it is possible to fasten one on the top.
Do you have the front pouch to go with it? Anyway, this may be of interest - although the info in the comments could well be out of date:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160417164 ... bag-review

The Altura bar bag map case is its weakest link.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I suspect an Ortleib map case, with a couple of bits of fabric added to the corner tabs with a press-stud to fit those on the bar-bag could be made to fit. In a manner which doesn't damage the Ortleib case.

- Nigel
Goose33

Post by Goose33 »

Thanks very much for the replies. I did wonder if, what looked like an 'A', at the beginning, was indeed Altura. I have been looking at a map case to fit the Altura Dryline 2 bag, which uses velcro, to see if that might fit.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

I think the “overkill” SJS option may be best!

We have an Altura bag that has a similar attachment to yours, and the map case that came with it looks like a glorified freezer bag that would not survive first contact with the enemy. I would expect the edges to split if I repeatedly put a folded map rather than a single sheet of paper in it.

I am on my third map case for a Carradry bar bag (middle) and have strengthened the edges of the latest one with Gorilla tape.

The map case on an older cotton duck Carradice bar bag (right) is more substantial - it has a stitched binding around the edge that seems to hold up better.
Attachments
Altura with press studs and Velcro fixing
Altura with press studs and Velcro fixing
Altura, Carradry, Carradice
Altura, Carradry, Carradice
The Altura map case
The Altura map case
gom

Post by gom »

My partner uses an Altura barbag and has replaced the map case a couple of times. Ordered online from Evans and collected at local branch. Last done a couple of years ago, so can’t say if still possible.
A problem for us with the Altura case is that a 1:50K OS map only *just* fits in it. Remove the map cover and fold *very* carefully and one will go in. A pain in the rain or other adverse situation.

For my Ortlieb bag, I have bought the Ortlieb map case and then added some press fasteners, readily available (I bought from Hobbycraft). This case is a good size for OS maps.

We found that the studs on the Altura were a non-standard size and could not find any matching fasteners. If anyone knows of any I would be glad to know.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

My Ortlieb map case tore along the heat welded seam the first time I used it. I also had an Altura map case and the solvent from the adhesive used to attach the velcro turned the pvc into a sticky mess.

I have to say I find it hard to see how they justify the cost of these items. I replaced them both with one from the pound shop which required a little ingenuity to attach it but functioned perfectly for several tours. The pound shop offering is still working fine but I subsequently replaced it with a Karrimor branded model for less than a fiver from Sports Direct. Unfortunately the Karrimor map case no longer seems to be available but in my view it is better made and more functional than the Ortlieb one.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Its a long while since I've had to claim on a faulty Ortleib item, but when I did, the maker replaced them without fuss.