Handlebar bag with brifters

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Handlebar bag with brifters

Post by rmurphy195 »

My dropped-bar tourer is equipped with Shinmano Claris combined brake/shifters - these have cables coming out of the side so they cross-over in front of the handlebars.

Does anyone use a handlebar bag with this or a similar set-up, and if so how does it fit?

Thanks - Richard
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Jdsk

Re: Handlebar bag with brifters

Post by Jdsk »

Yes. We have Ortlieb bar bags on both tourers.

On mine the bracket is on the bars, on my wife's it's on an extension bar.

I'd include the position of the headlamp in your planning.

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

This was covered in a thread about 'washing line' cables not so long ago - this was Brucey's suggestion: v-pipes, or better still, flexi noodles

viewtopic.php?p=1463008#p1463008

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/flex ... 90mm-long/

He said they have several different ones, with/without barrel adjusters, colours etc....

I've got the same Claris brifters with washing lines on my Carrera TdF, just haven't got round to following it up.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Our tourers don't have noodles.

One daughter's has rigid noodles.

Jonathan
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I had a Carradice bar bag and 1st generation 105 nine speed shifters with side exit gear cable and got round it by running longer outer from bars to frame.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

On my bike with "washing lines" I use a small bar bag which ties directly on to the bars and with a loop of elastic round the steerer. It fits in the space between bars and "washing line" – I think it does force them down slightly but not to the extent that it has any effect on either shifting or durability.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Another approach is to use the RK extender

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rix ... ter-kf828/

that gets the bag forward beyond the washing lines. Not very elegant, and it obviously lengthens the “lever” the bag is hanging on the end of, so not ideal if you want carry a lot of weight. But it mostly solves the washing line issue and leaves me room for thick gloves in winter and a Garmin eTrex on the bars. I have another bike without the extender, and in each case the handling is obviously different with a bag attached, but the extension doesn’t make things much worse, or I have got used to it.
618563C0-06BC-4779-BFEF-30E7B8C529CE.jpeg
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I use a Topeak Bar Bag which sits fairly high on the bars and doesn’t interfere with the washing line cables.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

rmurphy195 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 6:57pm My dropped-bar tourer is equipped with Shinmano Claris combined brake/shifters - these have cables coming out of the side so they cross-over in front of the handlebars.

Does anyone use a handlebar bag with this or a similar set-up, and if so how does it fit?

Thanks - Richard
Before I switched to under bar tape routing I had Sora 9-speed shifting and a bar bag. The cables rested on the sides of the bag and I was worried about wearing the material of the bag with repetitive gear shifts. But the bag was fine - the outers wore through to the metal casing!

Another thing I hadn’t noticed initially was that by pushing the cables aside I had rested one of them against the front brake caliper arm. So watch out!

B7C5D801-E6A3-418A-9BA4-7C977EB82B9B.jpeg
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

I switched to the newer Claris R2030 levers in the end on my tourer, after little bits started wearing out on the previous 2303 shifters on it. The new ones have under bar tape cable routing.

The new cable routing does make things easier, however I found that I could fit a Carradice bar bag behind the cables, if I left the outers longer than normal, so they went in front of the bag.