Newbie needing a little advice on tire/tube sizes.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PeteLittle1970

Re: Newbie needing a little advice on tire/tube sizes.

Post by PeteLittle1970 »

ChrisF wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 4:03pm Another reason my be your tyres arren't pumped up enough and you're getting 'snakebite' holes when the tyre hits a hard stone. If, when you find the puncture, you see two holes next to each other, this is the reason.

Aha.. Yes most of my punctures were in pairs. sort of like single quotes either side of the tube. Looking up online about "Snakebike" punctures this looks very similar.

I have replaced the inner tube, checked for thorns, grit and glass and pumped up hard. Need a pump with a pressure gauge because I don't know what pressure they are at but they're not "soft"

Thanks for all the advice,
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PeteLittle1970 wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 9:42am
ChrisF wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 4:03pm Another reason my be your tyres arren't pumped up enough and you're getting 'snakebite' holes when the tyre hits a hard stone. If, when you find the puncture, you see two holes next to each other, this is the reason.

Aha.. Yes most of my punctures were in pairs. sort of like single quotes either side of the tube. Looking up online about "Snakebike" punctures this looks very similar.

I have replaced the inner tube, checked for thorns, grit and glass and pumped up hard. Need a pump with a pressure gauge because I don't know what pressure they are at but they're not "soft"

Thanks for all the advice,
If you have a pump, just get a separate gauge. It will likely be cheaper & more accurate.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PeteLittle1970

Post by PeteLittle1970 »

Thanks.. Have ordered a gauge, and a couple of spare inner tubes and some more puncture repair patches..

I'll leave off the new tyres and sealant for just now and see if I get any more punctures (probably.. but hopefully not for a while) it's a bit of an outlay when my tyres are only about 5 months old and fairly decent still.

My panniers are already chocka with locks etc.. a couple of spare tubes and a puncture repair kit won't make too much of a difference all things considered ;)

Thanks for all the advice.