First project bike!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Benz3ne

First project bike!

Post by Benz3ne »

Picked up a free of charge Claud Butler somethingorother ‘mountain biking’ frame. It’s a Reynolds 501 steel, had straight bars and… no wheels or seat post! There’s a little rust but it’s not outrageous in my novice opinion.
I’ll be having a better look at it tomorrow but I’m half tempted to go for some drop bars, mid-chunky tyres (23’s look a little tooooo skinny :lol: ) and possibly convert it to a single speed for some fun/casual cycles.
Time to look at some cheap rims, cheap bars, cheap seat post, cheap cantilever or v brakes…

Let the fun, slow project begin!
(Picture to come up tomorrow, perhaps).
Benz3ne

Re: First project bike!

Post by Benz3ne »

Pictures!
Derailleurs removed. Need to get a chain tool to get that chain off and use a socket set to get the crankset off.
Old school square taper bottom bracket that I’ll replace for a sealed unit once I’ve measured it up. Bars will come off too and replace for an older drop handlebars I think…
Not sure which wheels I’ll get either but they’ll need to be rim I reckon - it’ll be stopping with use of some older V brakes (I’m not sure whether I’ll go down the route of reach new style and drilling to accommodate a recessed nut but I’ve time to think about that). A disc conversion did cross my mind but I don’t know how much longevity that’d bring to the table.
I’m still strongly thinking about a single speed option as I’ve a tensioner at my disposal…

Let the fun times commence!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Crying out for thumbies I think!

A rack, panniers, tent and you have a fantastic touring bike

Cheers James
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Heads up.
Because drops move the brakes further forwards than straight bars you may well need to fit a shorter handlebar stem to keep the same reach.

But it looks like a good project.

Luck .......... :D
PH

Post by PH »

Have fun with the project and enjoy the resulting bike.
I'd be cautious with the budget, I know I may get slated for saying so, but it's a pretty basic frame. You don't have to look hard to find a complete 501 bike for £50, whatever you spend you're unlikely to recoup if you decided not to keep it.
I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm, I really do hope you enjoy the bike, but if I was looking to invest time and effort into a project I'd have held out for a better frame to base it on.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

PH wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:17pm Have fun with the project and enjoy the resulting bike.
I'd be cautious with the budget, I know I may get slated for saying so, but it's a pretty basic frame. You don't have to look hard to find a complete 501 bike for £50, whatever you spend you're unlikely to recoup if you decided not to keep it.
I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm, I really do hope you enjoy the bike, but if I was looking to invest time and effort into a project I'd have held out for a better frame to base it on.
It’s realistic rather than a dampener and I absolutely understand where you’re coming from. It is basic, it is a beater, I’m aware there are similar bikes around and for little expense.
Part of me wants to get my hands dirty, and my budget will still be low. I guess it’s more experience than anything else?
If a better frame/bike does come up for cheap then I’ll definitely allow my head to be turned!
Thanks for the refreshing comment though!
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Completely my personal opinion but +1 on the single speed option combinedwith drops to create a "SS Monster Cross Bike" - did this to a Carrera Subway and had a lot of fun. Looking at the pictures a short stem is a must and you may also need a riser to get the geometry right.

Alternatively I also like the sound of the thumb shifters option whilst keeping the flat bars - Altus m310 are quite cheap at the moment.

Whatever you do it will be a "one of a kind" and worth getting your hands dirty on!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Find your local cycle recycle place. Often a good source of cheap bits or maybe your mates. I have several frames like that doing nothing and could easily build them up without spending a single penny. I bet many of us could in some way.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a British eagle 501 framed bike in fact it was my old student bike 20+ years ago.

It's been great. I painted it royal blue with Wilko metal paint

I've upgraded it to 9dpd tiagra which I think are the sweetspot of economy Vs performance.

Decent wheels / tyres make the most difference tbh. Light kevlar slicks are great.

Cheers James
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Jamesh wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:17pm I have a British eagle 501 framed bike in fact it was my old student bike 20+ years ago.

It's been great. I painted it royal blue with Wilko metal paint

I've upgraded it to 9dpd tiagra which I think are the sweetspot of economy Vs performance.

Decent wheels / tyres make the most difference tbh. Light kevlar slicks are great.

Cheers James
The repaint sounds fun. I’m not sure whether to leave this ratty or to get some paint, strip it back and work it back up.

Project news: looks as though I’ll be having some wheels very generously donated. They’re 26”s so should suit the frame nicely, as well as being able to fit the “semi chunky” brief.
Also removed the wingnut-held handlebar stem. It was a LITTLE tough but with a bit of wrestling (and now some slightly sore arms) it came free. The headset needs grease at the least so that might be the next plan of action.

Keeping eyes peeled for a suitable stem, handlebars and brake set in the nearer future.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

I think this may veer into technical queries. If mods could move the thread that would be hugely appreciated. :)

Right, headset is apart! The quill stem was tight so took some wrangling to get it free.
The threaded nuts weren’t particularly difficult to free which is nice. I was half expecting two caged bearings, top and bottom, or free bearings but the two that are now presented to me are a bit… different.
Top seems to be almost like a cartridge bearing. It’s tapered top and bottom, and looking through the base you can just about see where the all bearings are. Unfortunately some of them are rusty so ideally I’ll look to change this. Could I change it for a caged bearing of the same dimensions?

As for the bottom one, I was a dufus. It was a ‘sealed’ end, I anticipated that it’d be the same as the top one but pulled it out and “ping” some bearings in various directions hit the floor. I found all but three, which I’m not too concerned about. I’ve a vernier calliper at work so can measure up for new ones. It’s almost a caged bearing but has some subtle visual differences. Again, any chance of measuring this one up and finding a straight replacement?
Edit: for what it’s worth, it’s sitting on top of a metal plate that helps hold the bearing in place.

Otherwise, no drama here really. Still need to get the chain off (need a chain breaker tool) and the crankset off (need a 13 or 14mm socket) and then it’s onto choosing which direction I go re handlebars/seat post/seat/brakes etc.
The fun continues!
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

One crank arm off.
Other crank arm… stripped threads. Marvellous.
Will probably take a chock of wood and a hammer to it to try and ease it off. Not too cautious about either the bottom bracket or the crankset (though would be a shame if it were FUBAR’ed).

Edit: yup, she’s stuck pretty fast.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Tried again yesterday to remove the crank arm with no joy. It seems positively fused to the square BB.
In other news, I measured up the bearing balls, cleaned out and dried that top 'cartridge' bearing and sourced some new 5/32 bearings to replace the missing/pitted ones from the bottom.
A liberal application of lithium grease along with a little on the headset shaft itself and threads and everything is much, MUCH smoother.
Just need to get that crank off... it's annoying me now :lol:
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Hacksaw and chisel approach is on my mind for that drive side, or to Chuck on a reasonably sized ring and see how that holds up.
Big thanks to hellhound for the 26er wheels. The front is just fine, the rear needs a bit of an overhaul but that’s all part of the fun.
Chain removed today, and with it the derailleurs.
Bars are temporary; these will end up as drop bars.
Tensioner hanger installed.
Not a huuuuge amount of effort required to have a working bike I feel!