Bike for turbo

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PositivelyMental

Bike for turbo

Post by PositivelyMental »

Hi, think this is probably stupid question, I got a turbo recently but I really want to keep the bike I have on it on the road. Am I right in thinking that just a cheap second hand bike will be good enough for the turbo? Thanks for any help/advice anyone can offer!
VinceLedge

Re: Bike for turbo

Post by VinceLedge »

Just need any bike that is the right size for you and has gears (gears not really needed if it is a wheel on trainer.
I derusted an old frame I had , new gear and an old front wheel, no brakes needed and all nice and clean for indoor use and don't have to keep changing bikes around.
PositivelyMental

Post by PositivelyMental »

Hi thanks for replying, the turbo doesn’t need a back wheel so I’ll go ahead and get a cheap bike the right size and get my bike back!! Thank you!
borisface

Post by borisface »

A cheap turbo bike is a great idea as if you use the turbo much your sweat will corrode pretty much anything metal. It's worth getting a turbo-tyre. I used to simply use old tyres but they started coming apart/puncturing due to the heat generated, I'm still using the turbo tyre I bought about 10 years ago, although admittedly don't do that much turbo anymore. Something on the floor under the turbo like an old sheet, bath towel or cardboard is also a good idea to absorb the sweat. I also use an old towel across the bars and top tube for the same reason. Old cycling shorts that have worn indecently thin around the bottom area are perfect and an old or really cheap short sleeve jersey as stuff starts to pong after a few sessions.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Turbo tyre a bit pointless if the OP's turbo doesn't need a back wheel? :lol:

I agree about the old bike though. I'm using one on which I used to commute. Steel, pretty battered, makes no real difference. Don't notice the weight going uphill on Zwift, as happily they only ask for my weight and not that of my bike :D
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Ditto on a mat, amazing how much muck falls off bike transmission unless immaculately clean.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

borisface wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 5:03pm stuff starts to pong after a few sessions.
Might need to invest in a washing machine as well :lol:
mei

Post by mei »

As Borisface has said you will sweat a LOT on a turbo so for me it's an old aluminium 26" wheel 90's MTB, even with towels over it you will still get corrosion, for me it's not important bits get rusty ( I give a spray of gt85 once a week on the most affected parts that have got a bit rusty from the salt), all set up in a shed on a low tech bluemotion tacx trainer, original mtb semi-slick tyre on it (hardly shows any wear at all after 3 years of poor weather training, lots and lots of hours). I see the bike and it's parts as sacrificial and cheap enough to replace bits when they eventually fail.
My approach is the opposite to my friend who uses a high end turbo and best bike and has rotted through front wheel bearings, front brake and a headset. I keep my nice bikes for the dry roads and don't want to ruin them on the turbo.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Before buying a dedicated indoor trainer I had a cheap Carrera from Halfords on my turbo.It was only 8-speed but OK.

I'm assuming as your trainer is the wheel off sort you will need a 10 or 11 speed bike?If so that obviously narrows your search a bit but there are bargains out there.

My set up is in the spare bedroom and my trainer is sat on a Yoga mat and has one of those sweat-catchers fitted between bars and saddle.I also hang an old gym towel over the bars.
I wear an old set of bibs and no shirt.The bibs get washed after every session and they dry quickly so nothing pongs!