What isn't clear...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: What isn't clear...

Post by Oldjohnw »

What is an incorrect judgement call?

A judgement call is surely just that: a judgement. You might not agree with it but it is a judgement based on what is before someone.
John
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Oldjohnw wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 2:53pm What is an incorrect judgement call?

A judgement call is surely just that: a judgement. You might not agree with it but it is a judgement based on what is before someone.
I cited the 'judgement call' issue as a segway into me doing a 180 degree about-turn on my regular whining about intrusive moderation - i.e. as a device to emphasise just how irritating I find these unnecessary initialisms/acronyms.

I'm more than happy to respond to your point John, but I've already got several threads running on it (in the appropriate forum) where the question is answered and examples are given. Responding here would constitute a heinous thread derailment - your call.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

DevonDamo wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 12:48pm
De Sisti wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 12:06pm What also isn't clear are acronyms and abbreviations that that people throw into a post,
expecting that others know what they're referring to. In my opinion, if someone wants to
abbreviate a word, they should spell it out in full, with the abbreviation in brackets immediately
afterwards.That way it will alert readers that the abbreviation may be used later in his/her post.
Completely agree - it's a blight on most forums. I've not been impressed by the moderation on this forum because it's too intrusive, especially when the moderator is regularly making incorrect judgement calls. However, when it comes to people attempting to save themselves 5 precious seconds by typing an initialism or acronym, which the majority of readers will then spend ages attempting to decipher, then I'm all for a police-state of censorship and deletions. If people start being forced to re-type their entire post, they'll soon reconsider whether avoiding typing those few extra letters was worth it.
Moderators could do more to clamp down on this. I've even offered my services to them
to do this, and also to stop posts in the for sale section without photographs of the
actual item being sold :wink: , but they don't appear to want anyone else to join their ranks. :roll:

[Edit: It's just as bad on yacf. Again, I've offered my services to the moderators to clean up
both of the points I've made, but they're not interested]. :(
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

DevonDamo wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 4:28pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 2:53pm What is an incorrect judgement call?

I cited the 'judgement call' issue as a segway into me doing a 180 degree about-turn on my regular whining about intrusive moderation - i.e. as a device to emphasise just how irritating I find these unnecessary initialisms/acronyms.

I'm more than happy to respond to your point John, but I've already got several threads running on it (in the appropriate forum) where the question is answered and examples are given. Responding here would constitute a heinous thread derailment - your call.
I asked a question on a point just made. The thread title is What isn’t clear… This wasn’t clear so not a thread derailment let alone a heinous one. You replied. No further discussion required on my part.
John
jb

Post by jb »

For a while I tried chasing video games and human interest stories out of the BBC science and technical sections but to no avail.
If they cant get it sorted there's no hope for the rest. :)
Cheers
J Bro
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Is any of this really an issue?
Members don't have to read any topics or threads or posts :roll:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hellhound wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 9:59am Is any of this really an issue?
Members don't have to read any topics or threads or posts :roll:
Aw, come on. Moaning is an essential part of life, whether I need to or not. Some join forums such as these and very quickly make their mark :D
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What also isn't clear are acronyms and abbreviations that that people throw into a post,
As a proof-reader of a lot of technical support documentation, I agree. There are simple rules which when followed can make things nice and clear. 95% of the time, when authors add text such as AFAICR or FWIW, the phrase adds nothing to the meaning of the text and is pointless. Often it's shorthand for "I'm not exactly sure of my ground" or "This may not be relevant"!
Where an acronym or abbreviation of a phrase which does have relevance is used, then ideally it should be written in full on first use, as in "the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)", on the assumption that there may be a reader who doesn't know what it means. However in practice, forums don't really work like more formal written material, and there's a tacit assumption that most readers are 'in the know'.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jb

Post by jb »

I'd say that 'BBC' was now a word in its own right, however if you were referring to the 'Blackburn Brakes Company' you would certainly be correct.
Cheers
J Bro
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

AFAIK I’m not a NIMBY sort of person.OTH, SWMBO says I am.
John
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Oldjohnw wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 10:36am AFAIK I’m not a NIMBY sort of person.OTH, SWMBO says I am.
:idea: Don't forget your grammar! Use a space after a full-stop. : :P roll:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 10:16amHowever in practice, forums don't really work like more formal written material, and there's a tacit assumption that most readers are 'in the know'.
The problem for me is writers importing home grown abbreviations, those imported from other (non cycling) forums, or the use of regional dialect or slang. Does the writer wish to be understood?
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Oldjohnw wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 10:36am AFAIK I’m not a NIMBY sort of person.OTH, SWMBO says I am.
I read part of this as “on t’other hand”, which would be fitting if you were up north.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Benz3ne wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 7:33pm
I read part of this as “on t’other hand”, which would be fitting if you were up north.
I am up north. But too far up north to talk like that :D
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

tatanab wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 7:30pm Does the writer wish to be understood?

Well you can't take that for granted.
John