nut on a Presta valve - yes or no?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )

Do you bother with the circular nuts you get with most Presta valves?

Oh Yes! Wouldn't go out without them firmly in place...
63%
Heck No - they're pointless.
17%
Couldn't Care Less About Them...
20%

Total votes: 46

simonineaston

nut on a Presta valve - yes or no?

Post by simonineaston »

They seem pointless to me - if the tube's pumped up, the valve doesn't move; if you get a flat you stop and fix it, so I don't see the point of them - but have I over-looked something?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Re: nut on a Presta valve - yes or no?

Post by mjr »

They are essential as part of the counterbalance of the rim strengthener in the join opposite the valve. Without it, the valve alone weighs less than the opposite side and your wheel will be unbalanced and inefficient, with energy wasted making its centre of mass orbit the hub.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you don't tighten the screw, the valve cap compresses the valve.

Any road up, putting 120psi in there needs all the sealing it can get.
Mick F. Cornwall
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I find them useful for getting a pump on when theres no or very low pressure in the inner tube.

Quite useful for tubeless also...
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Just don't do what I did and use threadlock to stop them rattling (guess why not...). :oops:
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Stevek76 wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:27pm I find them useful for getting a pump on when theres no or very low pressure in the inner tube.
They're pretty much essential for that, I find, or at least highly desirable, if it's a press-on, not screw-on, pump.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've used Michelin valves which weren't threaded to take a locknut. I found it wasn't easy to get started with a push on pump. On valves with the locknut, I got into the habit long ago of slackening them off a bit once the tyre was pumped up. I once had a puncture which deflated the tyre very quickly and the valve was ripped out of the tube by the locknut.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kylecycler wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:51pm
Stevek76 wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:27pm I find them useful for getting a pump on when theres no or very low pressure in the inner tube.
They're pretty much essential for that, I find, or at least highly desirable, if it's a press-on, not screw-on, pump.
Yes. I then slacken them off.

Jonathan
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

What's that ticking noise ? Oh' it's the valve rattling in the rim. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:26pm If you don't tighten the screw, the valve cap compresses the valve.

The OP was talking about the collar screw on the valve stem - not the valve dustcap - you're right about the seal screw though, needs to be done up.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
robgul

Post by robgul »

The racing geeks will tell you that they add weight to the bike (probably the same people that used to drill holes in everything back in the day!)

Have to say I agree that they do hold the valve in position to connect a up or CO2 - but don't do the ring up too tight
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
slowster

Post by slowster »

When I rode a 26" wheeled MTB I had Michelin inner tubes which did not have a thread on the valve stems. The Michelin inner tubes which I purchased more recently for my 29" MTB do have a thread and locking nut. I think that might be because wide MTB tyres are much more likely to creep/rotate on the rim when the brakes are applied. That happened to me when my 26" tyres were aging and needed to be replaced, and I found that an inner tube without a locking would be dragged around with the tyre and a leak/puncture would then occur at the base of the valve - a location where it was often impossible to properly patch the tube.

I suspect that might be what prompted Michelin to add the thread and locking nut to their MTB tubes. I think their inner tubes for narrow high pressure tyres still do not have a thread.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

If they are done up snugly then you need pliers to undo them if you get a flat tyre - flat i.e no pressure not soft. Not for me since I discovered this about 55 years ago. I have no problem fitting a pump at the roadside or track pump.. Thumb pressure through the tyre is enough to stop the valve retreating.
Last edited by tatanab on 2 Aug 2021, 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

The Schwalbe inner tubes on my 26" and 27.5" inch wheeled bikes come with locknuts - Schraeder valves, not even Presta.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

robgul wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 8:27pm
Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:26pm If you don't tighten the screw, the valve cap compresses the valve.

The OP was talking about the collar screw on the valve stem - not the valve dustcap - you're right about the seal screw though, needs to be done up.
Ah, that's different then! :lol:

The knurled ring isn't a nut?

Any road up, the knurled ring isn't required on my Ambrosio Excellence rims as the brass balance weight supports the valve beautifully.
https://ciclicorsa.com/shop/ambrosio-ex ... ncher-rim/
Mick F. Cornwall