Aug/Sept Cycling UK mag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Re: Aug/Sept Cycling UK mag

Post by TrevA »

Not had mine yet!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

Taking a while for mine to make it to deepest Wet Cumbria too.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mine has arrived. I am unimpressed at the very high frequency of references to bikepacking and complete absence of reference to any and all other forms of cycle-camping.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

jgurney wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 1:40pm Mine has arrived. I am unimpressed at the very high frequency of references to bikepacking and complete absence of reference to any and all other forms of cycle-camping.
I was quite bemused in a recent issue of a mag where 'bikepacking' in Scotland involved staying in B&Bs, to me bikepacking means self-sufficient overnights, and typically not staying on formal camp-sites but 'camping wild' en route?

It seems 'bikepacking' is a new catch-all term for 'touring'...

cheers,

Keith
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Traction_man wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 1:50pm
jgurney wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 1:40pm Mine has arrived. I am unimpressed at the very high frequency of references to bikepacking and complete absence of reference to any and all other forms of cycle-camping.
I was quite bemused in a recent issue of a mag where 'bikepacking' in Scotland involved staying in B&Bs, to me bikepacking means self-sufficient overnights, and typically not staying on formal camp-sites but 'camping wild' en route?

It seems 'bikepacking' is a new catch-all term for 'touring'...

cheers,

Keith
I have a relative who goes wild camping.

In a motor home the size of a bus.
John
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

It seems 'bikepacking' is a new catch-all term for 'touring'.
I was told in no uncertain terms that the cycle camping I do is not bikepacking because I use panniers and ride mainly on surfaced roads.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

mcshroom wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 12:34pm Taking a while for mine to make it to deepest Wet Cumbria too.
Not made it to wet Lancashire neither!
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

jgurney wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 5:47pm

I was told in no uncertain terms that the cycle camping I do is not bikepacking because I use panniers and ride mainly on surfaced roads.
Yes, I have heard that as a distinction too between cycle camping and bikepacking, the latter though seems to be gaining wider currency at the mo--no doubt bikepacking is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly it's being banded about a lot in the mag of late. I don't object at all, either way.

all the best,

Keith
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I just go touring using my bike and camping.
John
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Traction_man wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 8:14pm

Yes, I have heard that as a distinction too between cycle camping and bikepacking, the latter though seems to be gaining wider currency at the mo--no doubt bikepacking is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly it's being banded about a lot in the mag of late. I don't object at all, either way.

all the best,

Keith
The book 'Bikepacking for Beginners' was written by Robin Adshead in 1978. The front cover depicts him on a touring bike, 2 rear panniers, tent on top of the rack, and a large bar bag. The term was used to describe cycle touring long before the current generation of 'bikepackers' was born!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

pedalsheep wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 10:16pm
Traction_man wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 8:14pm

all the best,

Keith
The book 'Bikepacking for Beginners' was written by Robin Adshead in 1978. The front cover depicts him on a touring bike, 2 rear panniers, tent on top of the rack, and a large bar bag. The term was used to describe cycle touring long before the current generation of 'bikepackers' was born!
Great to hear that! I think the key shared ingredient for both bikepacking and cycle camping is being 'self-supported' (nice piece on this here https://bikepacking.com/bikepacking-101/) , that's the appeal to me anyway.

So using hotels and bed and breakfasts doesn't really cut it for me as 'bikepacking', attractive though these are, and differentiates cycle touring from bikepacking (AKA cycle camping, whichever term we prefer to use).

Cheers,

Keith
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The best and also the shortest description of bikepacking that I've heard is given by Lael Wilcox at 1:06 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyG8fD ... prZD-0TI6Q

For those who can't be bothered to follow that, she says "Bikepacking for me is carrying enough on your bike that you can ride somewhere and spend the night outside."
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I just logged in to chuck the Robin Adshead book into the mix as well. I di that occasionally to annoy the trendies :D
Still pick up the book occasionally.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bikepacking.
What I do when I check out of my hotel with my Super C's. Slide in stays, click on clips and all done the bike is packed. Am I missing something?

My mag arrive Friday morning.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Seems a bit like the old tired discussions about real cyclists as opposed to some other kind.
John