Sonder bikes - any experience with them?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Paradiddle

Sonder bikes - any experience with them?

Post by Paradiddle »

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Alpkit's Sonder bikes and have ordered from them recently?

I've pre-ordered a Colibri back in June using a cycle scheme with ETA on the first week of August i.e. this week. The only comms they initiated was the first order confirmation. They didn't reply with a confirmation when I sent them the scheme letter until I asked them for a confirmation. I also sent queries about the ETA which they replied to last week saying no changes but there is a chance of a delay since they are awaiting for a shipment of brakes.

Of course they emailed me today saying the ETA has been pushed back to mid-late September because they still haven't received the brake calliper shipment.

I know there's a global shortage of bikes and bike parts but but feels like they shouldn't have set such an optimistic ETA. Now that I've signed up for the cycle scheme I can't cancel the order and use the voucher for another bike, unless by chance they were the exact same price and takes the same scheme.

Anyone on the same boat with Alpkit or other bike builders/retailers? Also does anyone have any experience with the Sonder Colibri? The customer experience I've gone through so far is making me doubt if I should have ordered from them in the first place.
Jules59

Re: Sonder bikes - any experience with them?

Post by Jules59 »

I met a chap (mid 60s) recently on the same LEJOG ride, and he loved his titanium Sonder. It was fast - he hit nearly 50mph coming down the Lecht and according to him the most comfortable bike he's ever had.

I'm looking to change my bike and so looked at the Sonder bikes.
I see their website is now taking orders again, as of August, but the delivery date for a Colibri Ti Ultegra is mid Jan 2022 at the earliest.

I dont know exactly what you ordered but you could be waiting at least 5 months.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

FWIW the ETA for a Ribble Ti Endurance is also Jan 2022. I would expect that to be optimistic too.
Maybe all the Shimano parts are on the same ship.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

a) The bikes seem to have great reviews. No worries there I reckon.
b) Time scale seems normal given current situation.
c) Expectations, whilst optimistic, seem better than most.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

Thanks all. I was venting a bit because of the poor communications, optimistic ETA they initially stated and how I'm locked in due to the cycle scheme.
Jules59 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:04am I met a chap (mid 60s) recently on the same LEJOG ride, and he loved his titanium Sonder. It was fast - he hit nearly 50mph coming down the Lecht and according to him the most comfortable bike he's ever had.

I'm looking to change my bike and so looked at the Sonder bikes.
I see their website is now taking orders again, as of August, but the delivery date for a Colibri Ti Ultegra is mid Jan 2022 at the earliest.

I dont know exactly what you ordered but you could be waiting at least 5 months.
That's good to know about the Ti Sonder. I went for the carbon Colibri with mechanical disc brakes. Not my first choice in terms of material but it was available to order with what I thought was a reasonable build date. Hopefully won't be waiting 5 months as apparently they're only waiting for the mechanical calipers and the new ETA is in September, so they say.
Jules59 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:09am FWIW the ETA for a Ribble Ti Endurance is also Jan 2022. I would expect that to be optimistic too.
Maybe all the Shimano parts are on the same ship.
I went for the Sram version although the brakes are Tektro/TRP mechanical ones. Apparently they have everything except for the calipers. Hoping that they only put the September date as a worst case scenario. Although I expected better communications from Alpkit.
mattsccm wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 7:09am a) The bikes seem to have great reviews. No worries there I reckon.
b) Time scale seems normal given current situation.
c) Expectations, whilst optimistic, seem better than most.
Thanks. That gives me a bit of hope. Most of the poor trustpilot reviews they have are focused on the customer service rather than the products to be fair.

In terms of timescale I had been looking for a new bike for a few months before settling on the Sonder. I just can't help thinking that I could've gotten a bike earlier if I went with my other options:
- The Specialized Allez Elite often came up on Sigma Sports as available. Wait was around 3-4 weeks.
- Planet X has lots of bikes that are ready to build in 2-3 weeks.
- Giant had bikes available in some of their shops.

Giant and Spez tend to use their own parts tbf and Planet X seem to be good at using whatever they get their hands on.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I too have been looking for a new bike for months. They are as rare as hen’s teeth at the moment. I wanted a Van Rysel but no stock anywhere. Rutland did have a Spesh Allez Elite in my size but it went straight away. I think a lot of people have signed up for email alerts as soon as bikes become available. I’ve heard of people signing up for a Planet X, only to be told there’s a long wait. They also only seem to have SRAM available, where I would prefer Shimano.

Luckily, a mate of mine was selling his Allez Elite which is my size, having upgraded to an SWorks, so I’m sorted.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

Paradiddle wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 9:06am Thanks all. I was venting a bit because of the poor communications, optimistic ETA they initially stated and how I'm locked in due to the cycle scheme.
There's no excuse for poor communications, maybe they has nothing to tell you, but they could at least have told you so, they're usually pretty good, I've used them a few times. The optimistic ETA is understandable, they'd have been passing on the information they had. Given present circumstances it's seems overoptimistic to assume any such estimate isn't subject to change. I understand the frustration of course, but I don't think it's any more or less likely elsewhere, getting what you want when you want it seems a matter of luck.
If it's just waiting on the brakes, can you source them, or an alternative? Maybe they'll supply without or fit any you can supply.
If you think you can do better elsewhere, are you sure you're locked in? You shouldn't yet be having deductions from your salary, you've sacrificed some salary in return for a benefit which you've yet to receive, have a word with your payroll dept if they're already making deductions.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

PH wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:40am
There's no excuse for poor communications, maybe they has nothing to tell you, but they could at least have told you so, they're usually pretty good, I've used them a few times. The optimistic ETA is understandable, they'd have been passing on the information they had. Given present circumstances it's seems overoptimistic to assume any such estimate isn't subject to change. I understand the frustration of course, but I don't think it's any more or less likely elsewhere, getting what you want when you want it seems a matter of luck.
If it's just waiting on the brakes, can you source them, or an alternative? Maybe they'll supply without or fit any you can supply.
If you think you can do better elsewhere, are you sure you're locked in? You shouldn't yet be having deductions from your salary, you've sacrificed some salary in return for a benefit which you've yet to receive, have a word with your payroll dept if they're already making deductions.
Yeah I can't really blame them if that's the information they received from the suppliers but more proactive comms would have helped.

I've asked them if they could consider alternative brakes but it sounds like they have shortages across the board. They did tell me they would look into it in the next few weeks. I've had a quick search myself and both mechanical and hydraulic brakes that would be compatible seem to be out of stock.

In regards to the scheme, our Cycle2Work arrangement is that the deductions start the month after I select the benefits. I've received an email from Halfords confirming this and a reminder to use my voucher as I am already paying for it. Last week I also received confirmation from Halfords that Alpkit had accepted the voucher, but I never received official confirmation from Alpkit that they have taken the payment.