Using a stove to make a brew on longer day rides

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bohrsatom

Using a stove to make a brew on longer day rides

Post by bohrsatom »

I've started to like the idea of bringing my gas stove and titanium mug with me on longer day rides, with the intention of stopping in a picturesque spot to make a hot brew.

However, a bit of googling suggests most public places explicitly forbid naked flames, even the larger national parks like the Peak District and New Forest. Most of the rules seem to focus on BBQs but camp stoves are also mentioned in the small print - I find this funny as US/Canada national parks allow butane stoves even when strict fire bans are in place.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to make a brew in the great outdoors, so what do others do? Just find a nice out-of-the-way spot and do it anyway?

Yes, I know I could bring a flask of hot water instead, but the extra weight doesn't bother me too much and I'd rather make the drink with freshly boiled water
PH

Re: Using a stove to make a brew on longer day rides

Post by PH »

Just be discrete and take the obvious care. I've never even considered the legality, I suspect most of the places I've brewed up are not covered by any bylaws and I can't think of any other legislation which might prohibit it.
I use an all in one system, first a Jetbiol and now a Primus Lite, it could be an advantage that anyone passing might not notice it's a stove, though they're rarely used where many are likely to be passing.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I just choose a convenient place to sit, generally a bench or boulder, and brew up. No one has ever complained. What is the chance of being caught by a National Park warden or busybody?

Incidentally some picnic tables have massive burn marks on them presumably caused by people using throwaway barbecues on them which is a bit chavish IMHO but I am sure this is not what you plan,,,,
horizon

Post by horizon »

It's a good question because when cycle camping you've actually got all the gear with you anyway so tjhere isn't even a weight issue. However I find that it's still bit of a faff (others might fare better) to take out what was carefully packed away in the morning and set it all up. However I have done it from time to time, here and abroad, mainly when there has been a convenient pub-style bench and table. I cannot imagine anyone complaining if it's done responsibly. On day rides I take a flask as it's simpler. One final point (which again doesn't answer the OP's question) is that on a long ride, the lure of a cafe to sit in warmth out of the rain and eat and drink is very strong!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Trangia doesn't come on day rides, although lighting it is often the second job when camping.

If someone responsible for an area asked me not to light a stove I wouldn't.

Jonathan
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’ve done it hiking in the past, and have come to the opinion that a decent flask of hot water, separate tea bags and a small flask of milk is a better option. And you get your cuppa quicker.
jb

Post by jb »

I take an old fashioned paraffin stove from time to time just for the hell of it. I wouldn't use it in a bad heat wave and I'm always careful about what's around when I do light it.
Other than that it's never occurred to me about regulation issues.
Cheers
J Bro
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

bohrsatom wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 8:47am I've started to like the idea of bringing my gas stove and titanium mug with me on longer day rides, with the intention of stopping in a picturesque spot to make a hot brew.

However, a bit of googling suggests most public places explicitly forbid naked flames, even the larger national parks like the Peak District and New Forest. Most of the rules seem to focus on BBQs but camp stoves are also mentioned in the small print - I find this funny as US/Canada national parks allow butane stoves even when strict fire bans are in place.
The legal stuff seems to be under a Public Spaces Order, prohibiting naked flames or devices which cause naked flames. Its a criminal matter with fines. Its there because of a lot of moorland fires in recent years, unfortunately one small careless or accidental fire can damage vast areas of land.

Your choices appear to be: use a flask (which I do), do it carefully and quietly (because nobody will notice) or find a way to heat water which doesn't need a naked flame - electric kettle connecting to an e-bike has to be the next must-have bike-packing gadget. Or go somewhere which doesn't have those rules.

- Nigel
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Nigel wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 12:56pm Its there because of a lot of moorland fires in recent years, unfortunately one small careless or accidental fire can damage vast areas of land.
Agreed, although it's interesting to note that the lighting and smoking of cigarettes is still permitted in these areas despite the risk a carelessly discarded cigarette brings. In a way I think a complete ban of anything cooking related is intended to avoid any grey areas rather than to remove all opportunities for a fire to start
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

bohrsatom wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 1:29pm
Nigel wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 12:56pm Its there because of a lot of moorland fires in recent years, unfortunately one small careless or accidental fire can damage vast areas of land.
Agreed, although it's interesting to note that the lighting and smoking of cigarettes is still permitted in these areas despite the risk a carelessly discarded cigarette brings. In a way I think a complete ban of anything cooking related is intended to avoid any grey areas rather than to remove all opportunities for a fire to start
The Peak District PSPO appears to ban lighting and smoking of cigarettes. The order is in the link, it bans any article using or causing a naked flame. My reading says that covers smoking, so would allow a prosecution for a carelessly discarded ciggie.

https://www.highpeak.gov.uk/media/6509/ ... 9187304987

- Nigel
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Personally I'd find it a bit of a faff getting the stove out (and mine's an easy one, burner screwed onto canister), etc. Far easier to use a thermos. I've been using the Sigg 0.5L ones - they are all stainless (so no glass to break, pretty robust), keep coffee warm for ages and easy to clean. The 0.5L size is 2 mugs. Drink straight from the thermos as long as it's cooled enough. They do versions with a mug that attaches to the bottom but I've not seen nor tried that version.

On the Sigg ones https://sigg.com/uk/thermo-trinkflasche ... lack-0-5l/ I don't like the ONE top so change it for the more basic screw top https://sigg.com/uk/sigg-hot-cold-top-b ... und-0-5-l/ which is stronger, simpler, etc..

Ian
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'm happy to carry the weight of a thermos, some coffee and a splash of milk. It's a quick, no fuss solution. When my wife comes with me we take a second flask.
Taking just hot water makes keeping the thermos clean dead easy.
jb

Post by jb »

But of course thermos flasks run out, where as my stove will outlast my desire for percolated coffee....

Providing there's a clean stream close to hand.
Cheers
J Bro
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

jb wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 10:17am But of course thermos flasks run out, where as my stove will outlast my desire for percolated coffee....

Providing there's a clean stream close to hand.
That was similar to my thoughts but having looked at the matter some time back I never came to a firm conclusion and just rolled with taking a flask of coffee instead (cheap, simple, fairly reliable, gives an instantly available drink and is no faff to use). It can be a pain when the flask is empty and you still fancy another cup but a flask is far far better than nothing and the better ones keep stuff hot for a long time. A wide neck flask can be good for hot soup, etc., too.

This type of compact stove from Esbit (spirit and tablet versions available) looked interesting and maybe allows some basic cooking too? https://www.bushcraftlab.co.uk/collections/esbit-stoves. Kerry kettles are another available ‘solution’ too, but where do you draw the line with weight and bulk? I haven’t considered the legality or not of using a stove and wouldn’t encourage anyone to flout the law, but to me it’s a case of: be discrete, be sensible, understand the hazards and be very careful - shouldn’t be too hard for a ‘proper’ cyclist.

I suspect that there is something quite satisfying and reassuringly independent about making your brew in the outdoors. On the other hand just using the simple alternative of a flask instead works well enough for a lot of people. As ever different folks find and enjoy different solutions.
Last edited by Carlton green on 7 Aug 2021, 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

On long rides I tend not to stop enough, I like to just keep going.
So if I cannot find a cafe, then waiting for a brew can be advantageous in lengthening the time stopped.

Luck ........... :D