Does anyone still use a cape

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freiston

Re: Does anyone still use a cape

Post by freiston »

colin54 wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 10:50am I saw this 1930's Vinco rubber cape & sou'wester whilst looking at capes/ponchos on ebay.
Interesting description...
£280 !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284400312779 ... SwQjphDqfu
'Heavy industrial smell. I think it's a part of charm' (sic).
Top salesmanship.
The bloke in the photos has the sou'wester on back to front with the brim turned down :lol:
Screenshot from 2021-08-10 11-14-30.png
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
nez

Post by nez »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 3:16pm I know it does (though I can't really make them out in the photos) but bearing in mind that Hase are often marketed (AIUI) to cyclists with various disabilities, which can include arm disabilities, some might not be able to give arm signals.
The return of the trafficator. Oh how I loved their barminess as a child
nez

Post by nez »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 10:23am I remember a time when lino(leum) was referred to as "oilcloth" which at the time seemed odd but I now read it was the result of a chance discovery in Victorian times that when linseed oil was being processed, part of the residue could be used to waterproof fabrics. In the late 1950s my dear old dad had a "proper" oilcloth cape - not lino, of course - but a heavy, impermeable-coated fabric. He insisted I should use a cape - normally strapped on the top of the Carradice Camper, of course - but I think the one he bought for me was probably PVC. I used it while under paternal supervision but my memories are not positive.

If anybody is wondering "what brought this on?" it's because the Carradice Duxback seems to be made from a waxed fabric which isn't the same thing.
My grandparents - cockney to the core - used to pronounce it 'oil-clawf'. There was another flexible product which people made bags from and was called in the 50s 'American cloth'. Or in our case, clawf.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nothing to do with cycling but here's an ancient pic of me in my rubberised mac(intosh) when I might have been about five or six, circa 1950. I've no idea why I was wearing it here as it looks as though the sun was shining. (My late brother on the right.)
Michael and Richard.jpg
slowster

Post by slowster »

A few photographs from Volume 1 of the Rough-Stuff Fellowship Archives. (For anyone interested Volume 2 is in the pipeline - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/is ... ough-stuff.)

One of 'those' club runs

American Gothic

Cool

One day my son, this cape will be yours

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 10:47am Dan Farrell's recent book on the history of the rubber industry in BoA is a good read, here on Amazon. A snip at a tenner...
Avon tyres most obviously.
Last edited by Bmblbzzz on 10 Aug 2021, 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

brilliant photos - thanks !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 11:34am Nothing to do with cycling but here's an ancient pic of me in my rubberised mac(intosh) when I might have been about five or six, circa 1950.
Blimey, tc, you haven't changed a bit!
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Brilliant photos.
From a time when men were men :D :D
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Errmm... the tandem stoker is a woman!
slowster

Post by slowster »

Elsie Swift, pictured here sans cape:

RickH

Post by RickH »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 11:57amY'day, I went for a ride and struggled to get my water-proof trousers on, half-way round. Now so old that I'm paid the state pension, I find hopping about on one leg less easy than I have before
I sourced some Marmot branded waterproof trousers a few years back which have full, jacket style zips. They aren't cycling specific but are OK for cycling in if it really is THAT wet!

When I've used them for walking I found I could remove them without actually stopping but haven't tried putting them on on the move! :lol:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

All this talk and all those photos makes me want to buy a poncho to try out. I have technical mountain gear (expensive Gore-Tex jacket and trousers), but they're surprisingly awkward on the bike. Perhaps I'll hate a poncho too, but it might be fun to try on the school run.

I also now want plus fours and long socks. I'm beginning to question my sanity and fashion choices, but I reckon they'd solve a few issues on the bike and on the hills. Or perhaps I just want to look like Tintin.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I don't think this fellow looks like Tintin.

mark a.

Post by mark a. »

😆 Not far off!