Cycle routes North Somerset

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
groberts

Cycle routes North Somerset

Post by groberts »

My wife and I will be in the area of Chew Valley Lake later this week for a couple of weeks - babysitting for our daughter + hopefully with time off for good behaviour, we'd like to do some cycling in the area and would appreciate any thoughts on suitable routes for a couple of old codgers. I'm riding a E-converted Trek MTB and my wife's on a Roberts road bike and am looking for rides up to 30 miles - we can take the bikes on the car so have some flexibility where we can start if necessary.

A couple of possibilities spring to mind:

1. The Strawberry Line - is the surface of this OK for a road bike + how could we extend a ride around this route?
2. The Bath to Bristol cycle path looks interesting - is it possible to leave the car at the Newbridge park and ride in Bath for this purpose?

Graham
wjhall

Re: Cycle routes North Somerset

Post by wjhall »

Some of these may be useful, although they are almost all out and homes from North Bristol, but you can chop the Bristol end out easily. A few of them have commentaries. All ridden on 28-630 tyres.

https://cycle.travel/by/wjhall/journeys?group=2714

Similarly, North West of Bristol:

https://cycle.travel/by/wjhall/journeys?group=2713

The Strawberry Line is both pleasant and useful, it cuts across gaps in the minor road network caused by the rivers, and takes you out onto the moors east of Yatton and Congresbury, finally reaching Axbridge. The current diversion past the cider works is a bit of a pain, I am increasingly inclined just to use the road. In Axbridge ignore the cycle route signs diverting you to the town car park and just go straight down the obvious old town road to the square.

The Bristol to Bath cycle path is less to my taste, use only if it links more pleasant things. Overcrowded, mugger prone, and since the railway closed the rural section has increasingly become a tunnel through trees, the urban sections are either cuttings or typical railway views of the backsides of houses.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My current stomping ground!

1) Its fairly easy to make your way out to the coast, Clevedon, WSM without too much exertion so thats one option.
2) Slightly more exertion but you could go up to Chewton Mendip and across to Radford, follow the bike route down to Bath and pick up the Bristol & Bath as far as Saltford then follow the bike route back out to Chew. The 'Apple' line uses some lanes from Radford to Wellow but from there its hardpack and then tarmac all the way into Bath - the tunnels are reasonably well lit.
3) its possible to do a fairly easy circuit on the top of the Mendip
4) use the Bristol Rd P&R in Bath then follow the river and then the canal along to Bradford on Avon, there aren't any locks once you leave Bath so its a mostly flat ride. Good cafe at the Somerset coal spur and various options at the Bradford end. Surface is mostly hardpacked gravel but roadbikeable.
5) drive over the Mendip to Wells or Cheddar and explore the levels, some nice quiet lanes, Wedmore is a good stopping point and of course there are a few strawberry farms although the Strawberry Line itself doesn't really exist as a route here abouts.
6) the Strawberry Line path is quite doable on a road bike, there's a cafe and parking at Yatton station and you can visit Thatchers cider at Sandford on the way to Axbridge/Cheddar.

The Bristol & Bath path isn't as black as wjhall paints it, it can be quite busy and whilst there is crime its very rare considering the amount of use the path gets, I wouldn't consider it in any way dangerous in daylight, its too busy in the urban areas and too remote later on. There is a good cafe at Warmley, another at the Avon Valley Railway and the Bird in Hand at Sandford is very popular, if you got as far as Fishponds there is often a tea van by Fish or alternatively over the road is Morrisons and their cafe. The surface is 100% tarmac but do beware of tree root damage which can be hard to spot under the trees.

Of course, its not far to say Devizes, start there and do a loop along the Vale of Pewsey and similarly you can do a reasonably flat loop up the Severn from say Severn Beach (so you miss the industry around Avonmouth) head up to Berkeley (castle, museum, tea shop) then return perhaps via Thornbury to your start. You could even include a mini excursion into furren land across the Severn Bridge!

Hope this gives you a few ideas, If you want a bit more detail just ask :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've ridden the Strawb on 28s. Probably the B&B but I forget. Festival Way links the two.

If you don't mind climbing or carring south on NCN3, descend to Cheddar Gorge for some touristy fun, then NCN26 Strawb Line through pretty Axbridge to Winscombe, round the south side of Banwell hill and join the A371 cycle path just west of the M5 to pick up NCN33 to WsM beach, or more direct if you are OK following maps. The only drawback is getting home or to the car again! It's always average uphill away from the coast ;)

Great pubs and cafes litter the landscape, unless they've gone bust since I left :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

May not be to your liking, but Cheddar Gorge and Burington Combe are well worth the effort. Can go up one and down the other in a loop.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Correction to detail from Foxyrider: The Bird in Hand is in Saltford, not Sandford (Sandford is on the Strawberry Line and I believe there might be a cafe on the old station site).

Surprised no one has yet mentioned the Two Tunnels through Bath to Monkton Combe. You could then ride along the Kennet & Avon towpath, which is very well surfaced and wide (along this section) as far as Bradford-on-Avon before heading back to Bath.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Strawberry line is absolutely fine for road bikes. I would stick to the road at Sandford rather than go round the back through the cider factory and orchards. That bit isn’t really suitable for road bikes.

On the Bristol to Bath, I did this with my 9 year old, we parked at Bitton station, cycled to Bath and went up through the Two tunnels route, to Wellow. Then back. Rally nice route, and you miss out at the inner city bits in Bristol.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I’d agree with avoiding the rough cider factory bit, given that when I rode it on Wednesday, my camera bounced out of its bag and by the time I came back to get it (10 minutes later) someone had snaffled it... :(
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
groberts

Post by groberts »

Many thanks for all the thoughts which provide lots of good ideas that I need to research a bit further.

We did the the Twin Tunnels ride in 2013, I believe not long after opening and really enjoyed it.

Graham
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Recommend remembering lights for the strawberry line as the tunnel is properly pitch black other than the light of the other end. (Unless it's had lights added recently)

A possible loop starting from the north end of the lake/chew magna if you're on the ambitious end of your limit is to head to the centre of Bristol on the number 3 ncn route, head out as far as Saltford on the Bristol bath path and then cut back to chew magna along what was the ncn410/Avon cycleway (or the reverse). It's about 30 miles but does have some climbing, especially the Saltford/chew magna stretch is on the hilly side.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

Ridden Strawberry Line, B2B a couple of times this year on fixed gear with 28mm tyres, all fine. Also did the 2 Tunnels,the cycle path out of Blackwell and the Colliers Way out of Radstock. Some nice quiet lanes as well, although a few sneaky hills now and then as well!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 8:29pm Correction to detail from Foxyrider: The Bird in Hand is in Saltford, not Sandford (Sandford is on the Strawberry Line and I believe there might be a cafe on the old station site).

Surprised no one has yet mentioned the Two Tunnels through Bath to Monkton Combe. You could then ride along the Kennet & Avon towpath, which is very well surfaced and wide (along this section) as far as Bradford-on-Avon before heading back to Bath.
oops - thats predictive text for you! and I did mention the Apple Line and the tunnels.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Looks like some upgrade work has commenced on the section of the Strawberry line between Wells and Shepton Mallet.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58480809

anyone local enough to give an update on progress?

And heres an update on the Yeo crossing at Kingston Seymour.
https://www.kingstonseymour.org.uk/pari ... cle-route/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D