One for the Music Buffs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Invicta Tourist

One for the Music Buffs

Post by Invicta Tourist »

I recently rewatched the "Cyclist's Special" film from 1955 and would be interested to know what the piece of music is when the clip of cyclists at Foxton Locks is shown. Can anyone help? It's about 11 minutes into the film. https://youtu.be/QPkT0paGEnQ

There's a list of some of the music on the YouTube download, but this piece isn't on the playlist.
rogerzilla

Re: One for the Music Buffs

Post by rogerzilla »

Sounds like one of Vaughan Wiliiams' efforts.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Too schmaltzy for VW - I thought maybe Eric Coates but it doesn't feel right for him either. However there were many competent but minor film composers around at the time. (For many years I've played in amateur orchestras and also listened to a lot, and have become fairly good a identifying composers.)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My guess is a minor jobbing composer contracted to produce music for film and adverts. Possibly from a university music department.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It sounds rather Delius-like, but it's not a piece of music that I recognise.

There are some articles on music / composition for British Transport Films, but I don't find piece of music associated with the film.

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/btf/music/music.html
http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/

You could try contacting the folks who run that website? There's contact info on the home page.

Or BFI who currently own it? https://www.bfi.org.uk/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't suppose one of the music recognition apps could help, could it?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bonefishblues wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 8:22am I don't suppose one of the music recognition apps could help, could it?
They only help if they can 'find' a recording of the same thing with an association. Generally, if it's not common, they won't.

That said, just in case, I tried google assistant, and got 'no match found'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
jb

Post by jb »

I'm sure I heard the same piece somewhere in 'Gone With The Wind' or maybe its just a stock piece in the editors draw marked 'countryside tranquillity'
Cheers
J Bro
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That film has been linked on here a couple of times before, but always the same "Quick release" version with the credits missing.

I was ten in 1955 and stated cycling in 1958 so it's a bit of memory lane for me; not just the cycling but the state of society reflected in the commentary. Unless it's the wax in my ears, I think the rider who punctured was referred to as a "puncturee" which seems strange: I thought adding "ee" as in attendee was a recent thing.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 10:49amI thought adding "ee" as in attendee was a recent thing.
What an interesting question.

-ee comes from legal usage with appellee recorded in 1531. OED only has attendee from 1961: that sounds far too late.

Aha: dictionary.com has "First recorded in 1935–40", but I don't know how reliable that is.

Jonathan
freiston

Post by freiston »

Jdsk wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 11:03am
thirdcrank wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 10:49amI thought adding "ee" as in attendee was a recent thing.

-ee comes from legal usage with appellee recorded in 1531. OED only has attendee from 1961: that sounds far too late.

Aha: dictionary.com has "First recorded in 1935–40", but I don't know how reliable that is.

Jonathan
In a previous job in the 80s (I was an employee), I recall that we used, amongst others, lessor and lessee, grantor and grantee, mortgagor and mortgagee and donor and donee. I am sure there were more and that these terms were used in documents much older than me.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jonathan
The ending has been around for a long time, but seems somewhat more actively applied in recent years. Anglophonia had an article on it that has history, usage, etc. It seems comprehensive...

https://journals.openedition.org/anglop ... 4#tocto1n2
jb

Post by jb »

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY MUSIC :lol:
Cheers
J Bro
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 12:46pm

The ending has been around for a long time, but seems somewhat more actively applied in recent years. Anglophonia had an article on it that has history, usage, etc. It seems comprehensive...

https://journals.openedition.org/anglop ... 4#tocto1n2
Excellent. Thanks.

And I was wondering how early the reversed use started.

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I agree with others who've said it's just a piece of music either written specifically for the film or else in stock somewhere. It's not a known piece with a title and may not have an attributed composer.

That's assuming we're all listening to the right piece. You might to want to link to the point where it starts?