Schwalbe Marathon Supremes Discontinued?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
geocycle

Re: Schwalbe Marathon Supremes Discontinued?

Post by geocycle »

Spa have some on offer. Just bought a 26” x1.6” which I probably won’t need for a year. Would folk recommend leaving it folded or hanging it in the garage?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Unfolded and dry and cool and in the dark.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

geocycle wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 7:55pm Spa have some on offer. Just bought a 26” x1.6” which I probably won’t need for a year. Would folk recommend leaving it folded or hanging it in the garage?
On offer on a vastly inflated price than a few months ago. They were selling for nearer £30, now £41.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:00pm Unfolded and dry and cool and in the dark.

Jonathan
Thanks!
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Recently bought a couple of 26”x1.6 from Merlin for about £37 each delivered. My last ones about a year ago were from SJS cycles and were about £32 + postage.
Luckily I have a lot of milage left in the Duremes on my expedition bike and one spare in the workshop they are another great tyre that was discontinued in the name of progress.

I’ve made a point of stocking up on my favourite 26” rims, tyres and 8 speed components before the marketing people “upgrade” everything and discontinue the hard wearing stuff.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I noticed on receipt of a pair of 26'' tyres from Spa Cycles last week that Schwalbe has changed the compound on Supremes to 'Addix' from the previous 'One Star' compound used on the second generation version of the tyre. I'd not heard of Addix before, it looks like it was originally introduced in 2017 to make some of Schwabe's off- road tyres last a bit longer.
This doesn't seem to have made it into the product's description at Spa or SJS for example- still described as One Star
It still keeps the HS469 type number though.
P1140920.JPG
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressereade ... s-for-mtbs
Cycling gets more like F1 each day.
My pet peeve with Schwalbe tyres is getting them to sit correctly when fitting from new, it's worth taking time to do this as I've found on Marathon Greenguards and on the first version of Supreme, if they are fitted slightly askew the rubbing strip on the side gets damaged
and presumably doesn't do what it is there for; to protect the side wall from damage caused by the edge of the rim.
Nu-Fogey
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Very interesting Colin. So these are new Supremes, which would explain the new price.

I'll be ordering one soon to match the one I have stored under my stairs for a while. I have been very surprised how long these tyres last as long as you don't damage them, particularly the sidewalls.

By the way, I have stored mine boxed, as it would be in the shop. Vaguely seem to remember someone recommending that contrary to what Johnathan recommended. Anyone else any thoughts on storage?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 8:59amBy the way, I have stored mine boxed, as it would be in the shop. Vaguely seem to remember someone recommending that contrary to what Johnathan recommended. Anyone else any thoughts on storage?
Yes, more thoughts, please.

I should have said: if I were going to transport them somewhere else rather than keeping them to fit on-site I might well leave them boxed.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Storage, from the Schwalbe tech doc (Sorry I only have the pdf, it's probably online somewhere)
Schwalbe tires can be stored for up to 5 years without a problem. If possible, they
should be stored in a cool, dry and, most importantly, a dark place. When stored
properly, even longer storage times may be possible.
This is what goes out to retailers, so I'm assuming they're going to keep them as supplied.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

simonhill wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 8:59am Very interesting Colin. So these are new Supremes, which would explain the new price.
I don't know about that Simon, though they did come in a different & posher box than a One Star version being sold on ebay at the moment. I don't know when the change was made or whether it affected the price.
There's a bit more information about Addix in this test of Schwalbe's Almotion TLE Addix - a touring tyre that I'd not heard of previously.
Reading this it appears the Addix compound may be a bit slower ? Not enough for me to ever notice I'll bet.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -tle-addix
I weighed them ,they are the same weight as a worn first generation Supreme (same 26'' x 1.6 size - 450g).
I've recently bought a spare set of tyres for my shopping / winter towpath bike from Planet X, Vittoria Adventure Tech G+
on offer for £7.99 plus postage at Planet X at the moment, these weigh a kilo' apiece ( 26''x1.75).! I like Vittoria tyres they seem to seat first time when fitted from new.
It seems a good time to get a spare set of decent 26'' tyres, what with mutterings about the future of the 26/559 size.
Nu-Fogey
531colin

Post by 531colin »

simonhill wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:25pm
geocycle wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 7:55pm Spa have some on offer. ...........
On offer on a vastly inflated price than a few months ago. They were selling for nearer £30, now £41.
Price is a reflection of what other vendors are selling them for, as much as anything. Fact of economic life.
Its driven by the consumer poring over prices on the internet, people running a business aren't generally looking for a way to waste time. :wink:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for that Colin. In this case it was also rec retail price that had substantially increased. £50 ish to 60 ish. Presumably they all quote correct RRP.

Discount rate on that amount about the 'usual' from each supplier
hamster

Post by hamster »

colin54 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 9:42am It seems a good time to get a spare set of decent 26'' tyres, what with mutterings about the future of the 26/559 size.
I wouldn't worry too much, the installed base of 559 bikes is colossal. It's slightly irritating that a decent semi-slick at 1.75" is not so easy to find, but that's about all.