...how to solve a very first world (steel) bike problem...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: ...how to solve a very first world (steel) bike problem...

Post by Vorpal »

The Conti GP 4 seasons have a pretty good ride, but IMO, are best for traction & good for puncture protection. 'comfy ride' is a bit further down the list, so even though they are my favourite tyres, if I was buying a tyre with comfort as highest priority, GP 4 seasons wouldn't be my top pick. The crux of the matter is, there are probably some gains to be had there. The old Vittoria Randonneurs had a really comfortable ride, but I don't know if any of the current variations are as good.

To keep the geometry and get a more 'buttery' feel means changing tyres, forks, or frame tubes / material. The easiest is obviously tyres. Next is a fork that makes wider tyres possible?

The Spa Audax (of whatever material) won't necessarily accomplish the right ride feel, either. Probably test rides are required to find something that meets the criteria? Even if theoretically, a Spa frame is less stiff, the OPs 'feel' of it may not be that much different? Or it may still not be quite what they are looking for?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
531colin

Post by 531colin »

st599_uk wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 5:10pm.................
Hoping to visit Spa next month to have a try on a few different bikes and put a deposit down. Annoyingly the more I read, the less I know which I should go for - most of my decisions have been aesthetic.
Give them a call to make sure they have testers of the bikes you want in the size you want. Take your shoes and pedals.
Unless its frantically busy they will probably swap the odd stem so you can test a bike with your preferred reach.

An aside......Why do titanium bikes have a reputation for comfort? Answer; Titanium is about a third less dense than steel, but also less stiff to about the same degree. However, titanium seat/chain stays are generally about the same diameter as steel ones, otherwise tyre/chainwheel clearance is compromised ......therefore Ti frames are more compliant.
Stevek76

Re: ...how to solve a very first world bike problem...

Post by Stevek76 »

nomm wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 4:38pm Carbon fork on Wolfson

853 fork on thorn
That seems rather significant to me. Carbon forks can vary hugely but some can be very supple & good at taking out road buzz
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

531colin wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 5:52pm
Hoping to visit Spa next month to have a try on a few different bikes and put a deposit down. Annoyingly the more I read, the less I know which I should go for - most of my decisions have been aesthetic.
Give them a call to make sure they have testers of the bikes you want in the size you want. Take your shoes and pedals.
Unless its frantically busy they will probably swap the odd stem so you can test a bike with your preferred reach.
I'm going to admit I have no idea what my preferred reach is other than more relaxed than sporty.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
nomm

Post by nomm »

Yes test riding is always a bit of a problem with my preferred bike choices - and that buttery feel missing or lacking, when compared with the previous ride, is hard to assess from test rides. It's more of a 'feel' from 6 months use and yet the fit of the Thorn is as close to perfect as I have ever experienced.

For now I will change tyres, but I am not convinced this will change much. I feel this is a tubing and fork combo that gives a certain feel - side by side the wolfson had much smaller diameter tubing compared with the Thorn.

I used to run Vittoria Randonneurs about 5 years ago and I really liked them. Frustratingly I had come to love the 4 seasons for the grip/hardiness in all conditions...
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Just another thought, I test rode a Spa Elan Ti before I bought my audax. It was a heavy build and had big tyres, probably 35mm+ but was a magic carpet ride. It felt quite a lot like my Thorn RST so to differentiate my fleet I opted for the audax which I’ve grown to love. But for butteriness don’t forget the elan!
nomm

Post by nomm »

Thanks for all the advice - turns out a large factor has been my PSI - my pump pressure gage was miles off, meaning I was running a much higher PSI than I had wanted
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I'm going to admit I have no idea what my preferred reach is other than more relaxed than sporty.
You could measure your most comfortable bike?
pwa

Post by pwa »

gxaustin wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 11:14pm
You could measure your most comfortable bike?
Always the best solution, if you already have a bike you get on with.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Shirley, you take your most comfortable bike with you when you go test riding?
.........compare the "test" bikes to your comfortable one
.....don't buy a bike (size) where you would have to fit (eg) a 120mm or 50mm stem in order to get comfortable; buy one (or have one built) so there is a bit of leeway for later adjustment.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

nomm wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 2:42pm Thanks for all the advice - turns out a large factor has been my PSI - my pump pressure gage was miles off, meaning I was running a much higher PSI than I had wanted
Brucey always advised folks not to use the pressure gauges on pumps, but a separate pressure gauge, for this reason. Pump gauges are not especially reliable.

I use the pressure gauge on my pump, but I do check it against a separate gauge periodically.

I'm glad it was something simple, anyway!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nomm

Post by nomm »

yes amazing what 25-35 extra PSI will do to cockpit vibration levels

at one point someone stated... it must be a fake frame/fork if you have a problem... :roll:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 10:24am
nomm wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 2:42pm Thanks for all the advice - turns out a large factor has been my PSI - my pump pressure gage was miles off, meaning I was running a much higher PSI than I had wanted
Brucey always advised folks not to use the pressure gauges on pumps, but a separate pressure gauge, for this reason. Pump gauges are not especially reliable.

I use the pressure gauge on my pump, but I do check it against a separate gauge periodically.

I use the gauge on my track pump to get the pressures (front and rear) that I know to be comfortable and efficient. I know what the readings for those are on my pump, but I have no idea how those readings relate to the actual pressure level. And it doesn't matter, since I get the pressures I like, even if I'm not sure what they would actually be on an accurate gauge.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

pwa wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 3:07pm
Vorpal wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 10:24am

I use the gauge on my track pump to get the pressures (front and rear) that I know to be comfortable and efficient. I know what the readings for those are on my pump, but I have no idea how those readings relate to the actual pressure level. And it doesn't matter, since I get the pressures I like, even if I'm not sure what they would actually be on an accurate gauge.
That's the way to do it (with a 'punch and judy voice') :shock:
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

531colin wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 5:52pm

An aside......Why do titanium bikes have a reputation for comfort? Answer; Titanium is about a third less dense than steel, but also less stiff to about the same degree. However, titanium seat/chain stays are generally about the same diameter as steel ones, otherwise tyre/chainwheel clearance is compromised ......therefore Ti frames are more compliant.
Ended up taking a steel Elan with carbon forks out for a test ride - wow, really comfortable and zipped along far faster than my current bike.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”