Bikehike down?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Bikehike down?

Post by Jdsk »

fausto copy wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 7:46pm My Mac dates from 2011 and runs(?) El Capitan 10.11.6 and Safari 11.1.2

I've done searches to discover the I can upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.6 but I don't know if that would still leave me high and dry

And as a real Luddite, I wouldn't know and certainly don't understand how to do these things.
If it won't break anything crucial it's probably worth installing that upgrade. And there's a lot of helpful people here, but it's probably better to open a new thread,

Jonathan
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Yes (possibly). :wink:
Tim DH

Post by Tim DH »

Hi Guys,
Just tried Mapometer as a replacement for Bikehike. It routed me down some unrideable bits, but its easy enough to weed them out.

The main problem is that when I load a Mapometer created gpx onto my Garmin, I can see the file in the right folder on my computer but I can't access it on my handset!! So unless someone knows how to work round that its 'chocolate teapot' useful!!!!

Tim DH
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tim DH wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:37amThe main problem is that when I load a Mapometer created gpx onto my Garmin, I can see the file in the right folder on my computer but I can't access it on my handset!!
Which program is that in, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Tim DH

Post by Tim DH »

Hi Jonathan

The program is Mapometer as suggested further up this thread.

I'm using Windows10 and an Etrex30

I've even tried loading the Mapometer created gpx into Garmin's Basecamp (How I DEEPLY resent all the hours I've wasted trying to get Basecamp to be useful.) Then exporting it out of there onto my handheld. It's visible on Basecamp and invisible on the Etrex.

Tim DH
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tim DH wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 12:06pmThe program is Mapometer as suggested further up this thread.

I'm using Windows10 and an Etrex30

I've even tried loading the Mapometer created gpx into Garmin's Basecamp (How I DEEPLY resent all the hours I've wasted trying to get Basecamp to be useful.) Then exporting it out of there onto my handheld. It's visible on Basecamp and invisible on the Etrex.
Thanks.

That sounds as if you usually move the files in Windows to the Garmin mounted as a volume... not through Mapometer or BaseCamp? And that method doesn't work for files created in this way?

Jonathan
sjs

Post by sjs »

Is there anything Bikehike did that cycle.travel doesn't do, now that it has OS mapping as an option?
Tim DH

Post by Tim DH »

Hi SJS,
The thing is I know Bikehike. .... What I want to do would take minutes on there.
Basecamp is utterly, completely, totally useless. Over the years I have regularly 'given it another try'.
Mapometer was 'recommended' further up the thread. I got more functionality out of in five minutes than I ever got out of Basecamp. It's just that for some obscure reason it falls at the last hurdle (Viewing the created track on my device) I assume this is a Garmin problem, but its not one I used to encounter with Bikehike.

If no one suggests a 'work round' for Mapometer I'm happy to try another service. I've just started looking at Cycle.travel, but other jobs will have to take precedence this afternoon.

Tim DH
Tim DH

Post by Tim DH »

Hi Jonathan,
I normally store GPX files on my computer organised in folders. I load them onto the Etrex as and when required. I did, as an experiment try loading a Mapometer created gpx direct from Basecamp to Etrex. No Joy.

Tim DH
Tim DH

Post by Tim DH »

In a fit of Panic. ... I just tried loading one of my old Bikehike created GPXs onto the Etrex.
Breath again! They still work!!!

Tim DH
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tim DH wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 2:23pmI normally store GPX files on my computer organised in folders. I load them onto the Etrex as and when required. I did, as an experiment try loading a Mapometer created gpx direct from Basecamp to Etrex. No Joy.
Thanks. I'm trying to understand exactly what workflow you normally use.

Is the Garmin device mounted as a USB storage volume?

And do you use File Explorer/ Windows Explorer to drag/ copy and paste the files from your PC onto it?

Jonathan
Tim DH

Post by Tim DH »

Hi Jonathan,
I access the Etrex directly from the 'This PC' screen clicking on the Garmin icon. I see I could also access it from the USB Drive icon on the same screen, but I've just had a little look round in there, and that seems quite un-helpful.

I normally copy gpx files across to the Etrex no problem. This 'seems' to work with the Mapometer created gpxs, in as much as I can 'see' them on the Etrex when looking at it via my PC. But when I disconnect the Etrex and fire it up independently the tracks are not there. Ones created via Bikehike are there.

Tim DH
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. Got it.

What other programs do you (or could you) have on the PC that can open GPX files, to try and identify what's different about these files? That might be a text editor or an XML editor as well as a mapping program.

And I'd ask Mapometer support.

Jonathan
Tim DH

Post by Tim DH »

Hi Jonathan,
Yes there is a 'Does anyone know how to import GPX into Garmin?' thread on Mapometer. Not wonderfully helpful. ... I tried that first before starting here!!!
Think I'll start again tomorrow with another service, unless Bikehike has re-appeared by then.

My advice to anyone trying to use Mapometer, as suggested above, would be DON'T.

Tim DH
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'll be emailing the hosting people for BikeHikeUK.
I'll do it tomorrow.

If you go to BikeHikeUK and click on "Close" at the warning, you get a blank BikeHikeUK screen.
Bottom right is the hosting name.
Click on Mythic Beasts, and then Contact Us and then send an email asking what's going on.
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 19.59.45.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 20.03.47.png
Had enough doing stuff this evening, but I'll be emailing them tomorrow morning.
I suggest we all do.
Mick F. Cornwall