Bikehike down?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

Re: Bike Hike website

Post by gbnz »

johnmac wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 12:15pm "API Key has been blocked by Administrator"
Yep, that's what I'm getting, one can live in hope :?:
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

There must be many CTC members with the IT skills to set up a similar site. CTC could sponsor and I might even rejoin if it was as good as Bikehike.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Same message, and then no maps. (Safari on macOS.)

NB the last entry under History was in December 2018.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I noticed the issue the other day.
Sad, because it's (was) the best route creator out there.
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 14.25.57.png
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Ordnance Survey shut down their OpenSpace API service on 31st August, and I see BikeHike is making calls to that API, so that might explain the error message.

(OS have provided a replacement service but it would require some non-trivial code changes to use it in place of the old API.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the explanation.

Jonathan
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Mick F wrote: 5 Jul 2020, 7:48pm [5. This is the most important to me. ............. You can't load a pre-made GPX into it.
Oh yes you can! Simply use upload a route in either web or Android. Dunno about iPhone.
Clipboard02.jpg
geomannie
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks! :D

I'll a play later.
Mick F. Cornwall
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Meanwhile for the non tech savvy rest of us who just want to be able to recreate a route post ride to be able to see elevation etc and have no interest in cluttering up our bikes with battery hungry gadgets, let us hope that Bikehike either gets fixed soon or a suitable substitute emerges. Good grief! I don't even like me smartphone that much.

Disappointing in a way, as I managed fine without it until last year, to lose it so soon.

I've emailed Bikehike admin, now just got to wait and see.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

a.twiddler wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 11:40pm Meanwhile for the non tech savvy rest of us who just want to be able to recreate a route post ride to be able to see elevation etc and have no interest in cluttering up our bikes with battery hungry gadgets, let us hope that Bikehike either gets fixed soon or a suitable substitute emerges. Good grief! I don't even like me smartphone that much.
If that's all you want to do, many alternatives are available. My preference is for RideWithGPS - a free account will give you the ability to plot your ride and see elevation, gradient etc., provided you can manage without Ordnance Survey mapping. Several other basemap options are provided. Despite its name, you don't have to have a GPS device to use the website.

Other people swear by Komoot, though that's only free if you do all your cycling in one small area. OutdoorActive is another one, though the mapping options are very restricted on the free version.

Personally I like my "battery-hungry gadget" - it takes up very little bar space (and I could chuck it in my back pocket if I weren't interested in looking at it during the ride) and will happily record a 12-hour day of riding on a single charge.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I'm very disappointed about BikeHike too. I've tried other mapping sites but BH is by far my favourite - I recently sent a donation... I hope the site is fixed soon.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Locus map now has a web interface, if you just want to see a map, put in some sparse points and get them joined up sensibly. No OS mapping though.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

cycle.travel (I might be biased etc. etc.) does have OS mapping too if you sign up as a supporter - OS charges for it (understandably) so I can’t offer it free to everyone, I’m afraid.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 6 Sep 2021, 10:08pm cycle.travel (I might be biased etc. etc.) does have OS mapping too if you sign up as a supporter - OS charges for it (understandably) so I can’t offer it free to everyone, I’m afraid.
I have a feeling I'm being really thick here, but can I use cycle.travel with the (sponsored) Ordnance Survey map on my Android phone and use the phone's GPS as a navigation aid to pinpoint my position eg. where there is a right of way (bridleway) on the map but nothing on the ground?
I'm having problems with the Ordnance Survey's own app. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147669
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Sure! Log in to cycle.travel on your phone, click “Map”, choose OS on the map selector, then press the “current location” arrow button (on the left).
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides