Cycling clothing - where to buy

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chiggy21

Cycling clothing - where to buy

Post by chiggy21 »

I've been reading the boards for a while but this is my first post. I have returned to road cycling after a looong time. A lot has changed since a rode my Eddy Merckx 10 speed around the local hills. I have also changed and am carrying a few extra pounds since then. Looking in my local shop, cycling clothing for the larger bloke seems a bit thin on the ground. When I say larger I usually wear a large or XL in normal clothing depending on the brand. Online the choice seems limited too and sizes seem bizarre with 2XL often having a stated chest size of around 40-42inches and some places selling nothing bigger.

To start I managed to get a pair of Bib Shorts and a top at Decathlon but wouldn't mind having a bit more choice so, does anyone have any suggestions where I can get some clothing - bib tights, plus a long sleeved jersey or two - at a reasonable price in larger sizes please?
Hellhound

Re: Cycling clothing - where to buy

Post by Hellhound »

FLAB (Fat Lad At the Back) sell clothing specifically for larger built riders but not exactly cheap!
https://fatladattheback.com/?gclid=Cj0K ... SMEALw_wcB

If you don't have a Decathlon nearby then Wiggles DHB stuff is OK as is Planet-X clothing.A mate of mine swears by Sundried clothing.
https://www.sundried.com/ there a 40 is S and a 42 is M.
Avoid anything 'Race' 'Italian' or 'Aero' fit as you'll probably need XXXXL.
borisface

Post by borisface »

Unfortunately, the sizing between, and also within, many brands is just so inconsistent. As another poster has said avoid anything with a race, aero or performance fit unless you want to look like a pear in a bin liner. Many of the Italian brands are notoriously cut for midget racing snakes. I am an XL in shorts and a L in body, but also have tops which are M and XXL and shorts that are L. I'm a big fan of Decathlon stuff, especially the van rysel range which is really excellent, and probably represents some of the best value for money around, particularly when they discount last seasons stuff. I guess wiggle/crc will do sale or return but IMO and experience you can't go too far wrong with Decathlon. Lusso and Funkier also have reasonably priced, quality gear. I bought a goretex windstopper jacket from these guys https://www.d2dcyclingclothing.co.uk/ in their sale a couple of years ago for about £20 and it's been excellent. Not sure why I haven't bought anything else from them. I tend to buy clothing in sales, when the prices are good whether I need it or not and put it away in a drawer as I know that sometime soon I will. Tops tend to last reasonably well, unless the zips go. Shorts only last a year or two before they start to get translucent around the bottom and penis-area, currently I have about half a dozen new unworn pairs which I'll integrate into my riding gear as and when the old ones wear out. Likewise, socks get a bit baggy after a while and so I always have a decent stock that I've got cheap in a sale somewhere. I usually keep my old translucent cycling shorts for when I go clubbing.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Online, try Wiggle or Sigma sports as you can return stuff for free, so you can order a couple of sizes to try out.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've had some OK shorts for shorter rides from Halfords. For longer events, the best source is my cycling club :D Still not cheap, but less than some shops charge, and good kit.
chiggy21

Post by chiggy21 »

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. I particularly liked the pear in a bin liner comment :mrgreen: I’ll have a look on these sites and see what I can find.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

This made me look at my clothing collection.
As noted above, shorts wear out after a time.
However my oldest tops date back to around the time I bought my MTB in 1995.
I periodically think "That's good but a bit worn and faded" and then realise I can't replace like for like because I probably bought it at an end of line sale.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have Halfords (ridge) Boardman, cube and assos shorts.

I find they are all as good as other infact the assos bib shorts are the most uncomfortable tbh.

Lidl / Aldi jackets are good for autumn / winter.

Waterproof cycling jacket too is good.

Cheers James
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Planet X and Decathlon work for me.
RJS

Post by RJS »

I've recently bought a Jersey and some mits through Amason, there are several brands, the one I chose was Rotto, the first top I bought was a large, the second a medium, I think I could be better with a small! The mits came up true to their stated size by measurment. Reasonably priced, well pleased. Also bought a Funkier light wieght rain jacket, again I probably should have had a small rather than a medium, I'm a 38" cheast.
Cheers, Rob.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

RJS wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 9:59pm I've recently bought a Jersey and some mits through Amason, there are several brands, the one I chose was Rotto, the first top I bought was a large, the second a medium, I think I could be better with a small! The mits came up true to their stated size by measurment. Reasonably priced, well pleased. Also bought a Funkier light wieght rain jacket, again I probably should have had a small rather than a medium, I'm a 38" cheast.
Cheers, Rob.
I've not bought any cycle clothing since the 'plague'm started.
My most recent shorts have been from Corinne Dennis - at York Rally - so that dates them. I bought three pairs subsequently, after trying them and finding them brilliant. Buying without previously trying is a problem. On-line is not for me.
Before the plague, and before the shop closed, I bought from Leeds City Centre Evans. They now have another shop in Leeds Railway station forecourt (or they did a few months ago), and I found them helpful and obliging.
I think I'll try there first - I need a gillet and fluorescent (i.e. hi-viz) orange cycling tops at the moment.
Of my two most local LBSs, one stocks Altura and the other Specialized,both of which I've found satisfactory..
Certainly Altura (Zyro) will tell you their nearest dealer to yourself.
Once I've tried something and found it satisfactory I then have the confidence to make repeat purchases.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I'm also carrying a few more pounds than when I was younger and my shape isn't flattering (beer belly). I've never been into the skin-tight lycra gear and on the bike I usually wear Tudor Sports York tights with hiking/walking long-sleeved T-shirts (a few of them from Decathlon). I've a few pair of padded undershorts that I sometimes wear under the tights for longer rides. If I need the stowage space that cycling jerseys usually provide in the form of back pockets, I either use a small bag at the front or back of the bike, or I use a small bum bag. For a bit of extra warmth, I wear a cheap quilted gilet (not cycling-specific) from Decathlon - I find this indispensable for when the weather starts to cool down - extremely breathable, adjustable and packs away into its own pocket. I was lucky enough to buy a cheap but good winter jacket from Aldi back in 2014 (I think) but I haven't seen anything like it there since.

I have a pair of Endura Hummvee trousers that I wear on the bike quite often too - they're sold from 31" up to 41" waist and they do "baggy" shorts too. They also sell padded undershorts specifically designed for them.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I've been looking for a fully waterproof and warm winter jacket. None of this breathability stuff for me - I haven't worn less than 4 layers all year.
Decathlon seem to have the widest range at acceptable prices.
The walking jackets look best, but maybe too short at the back.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've notice that in my Decathlon store the end of the line rail often has a number of items marked as XXL or even XXXL.
I assume from this they carry these sizes in their range.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 7:52am I've notice that in my Decathlon store the end of the line rail often has a number of items marked as XXL or even XXXL.
I assume from this they carry these sizes in their range.
I used to find in my local GO that the only sizes they appeared to carry were XS or XL.
John