Ti Bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Ti Bikes

Post by Mick F »

531colin wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 11:52am The fix (for me) was shorter stem and pushing the saddle back.
Shorter stem AND pushing the saddle back?
Making the effective seat-tube angle slacker making the BB further forward?
Sounds like it's the legs that would have benefitted and not the arms?

I'm not absolutely sure that it was better yesterday. Yes, my arms weren't aching, but the ride was hard and hilly and twice we had to walk. Now I've sorted the angle adjusting system out on Moulton, I'll be putting the saddle back in the long-standing position but tilting it up at the nose .......... and do a particular 18mile ride I know well.

Then, do it again (a day or so later) with Mercian as it always has been.
Maybe then I'll have some evidence of the way ahead for me ......... tilting or moving backwards.
Mick F. Cornwall
crossy

Post by crossy »

Does the lack of power in your legs affect your ass as well as your wrists and hands. Just done 30 miles my ass began to get sore but when I pedalled harder it relieved the pressure. Bit of a pain as I like to just bimble around or do I just need more time on the saddle to get used to it.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

crossy wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 2:03pm Does the lack of power in your legs affect your ass as well as your wrists and hands. Just done 30 miles my ass began to get sore but when I pedalled harder it relieved the pressure. Bit of a pain as I like to just bimble around or do I just need more time on the saddle to get used to it.
Cycling power is derived from the ‘buns and guns’. It’s more about C.V. fitness and endurance, than ‘strength’ per se. Work on glutes and quads, and develop your aerobic endurance, and you’re laughing.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

crossy wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 2:03pm Does the lack of power in your legs affect your ass as well as your wrists and hands. Just done 30 miles my ass began to get sore but when I pedalled harder it relieved the pressure. Bit of a pain as I like to just bimble around or do I just need more time on the saddle to get used to it.
Definitely.

When I ride my focus izalco full gas I don't notice the flite to saddle despite it being less comfortable than the turbo I have on my Cannondale endurance bike where I am more often than not riding conservatively.

Cheers James
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Different saddle? or same old?
crossy

Post by crossy »

A new to me Brooks Cambium. The saddle I had on before was a padded one with a hole down the middle.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Might just need getting used to
PH

Post by PH »

biketips666 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 12:27am Most titanium bikes don't seem to have titanium forks. Why is this?
Enigma offered a ti fork about 12 years ago, I had one and liked it but it was recalled. I waited a year for a replacement before they said it wasn't going to happen. replaced it with a carbon fork and didn't notice the difference.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 1:50pm ........ I'll be putting the saddle back in the long-standing position but tilting it up at the nose .......... and do a particular 18mile ride I know well.
Went out on Moulton this morning with the saddle tilted up a tad. Didn't go far - flu jab in the village, and a spin round - but TBH it wasn't a good feeling - the saddle position, not the flu jab! :lol:

I'll be putting it level again and moving it backwards 5cm and try that for the next ride.
I'll also investigate putting Mercian's saddle back the same distance. Not sure that I can as the seatpin may not allow it. I'll investigate anyway.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mercian's saddle was as far back as it would go, so I took the fittings off and had a play with a Dremmel and tapered the clamp so it would go further back on the Brooks rails.

Not far, but it has gone back 5mm perhaps a tad less.
Mick F. Cornwall
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Worn out after 8,000 miles?

People need to stop replacing stuff when it's perfectly serviceable just because they have an "itch". Think of the environment before dumping your "old" bike. My touring bike has done 27,000 miles since I bought it new in 2012, I wouldn't dream of replacing it.
Johnno260

Post by Johnno260 »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 2:13pm Worn out after 8,000 miles?

People need to stop replacing stuff when it's perfectly serviceable just because they have an "itch". Think of the environment before dumping your "old" bike. My touring bike has done 27,000 miles since I bought it new in 2012, I wouldn't dream of replacing it.
I wouldn’t be dumping my old bike, far from it, my winter bike/commuter Ribble got nicked so it’s really replacing that.

The Merida would basically get my spare mudguards fitted to it.

The Titanium bike would be my new 2nd bike as I would be looking to replace the stolen one and I would want to get something potentially long lasting like a Ti bike.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Johnno260 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 2:57pm
tykeboy2003 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 2:13pm Worn out after 8,000 miles?

I wouldn’t be dumping my old bike, far from it, my winter bike/commuter Ribble got nicked so it’s really replacing that.

The Merida would basically get my spare mudguards fitted to it.

The Titanium bike would be my new 2nd bike as I would be looking to replace the stolen one and I would want to get something potentially long lasting like a Ti bike.
Fair enough. I bet the police went the extra mile to try to recover your stolen one.....
Johnno260

Post by Johnno260 »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 3:47pm Fair enough. I bet the police went the extra mile to try to recover your stolen one.....
I handed them the frame number, I got a crime number that’s it, it’s what I expected.

Thieves are just total lowlifes whatever they’re stealing.

I can see how my initial post looked when re-reading it, I had money I had saved during lockdown, but I would need to save a little more if I go Ti.
Johnno260

Post by Johnno260 »

Sorry to necro an old thread.
I have found a really helpful localish store with a Van Nic in my size according to the VN site.

It's a large or 57cm Ventus, the store have been more than accommodating with my never ending questions.

I got to have a look tomorrow morning, I'm really excited and nervous at the same time.