Ti Bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Johnno260

Ti Bikes

Post by Johnno260 »

I have been road cycling since around 2015 to keep fit, I have some injuries from previous sports that cycling doesn’t aggravate.
My current steed is a Merida Ride 400 it’s done around 8k miles since new and I have an itch to replace it soon, I have some cash saved but need to save a little more.
I have been looking more at Ti bikes, for some reason CF really doesn’t interest me, I know no frame material is really forever but I really like the looks of the Ti frames, I have been looking at road frames, not gravel or CGR types.
I had initially been looking at the Ribble Ti Endurance, it seems a nice spec, I have an older Ribble with full mudguards that I use in the wet or winter months, but it’s only a 3 year warranty.
PX are very attractive and the leadtimes are fairly decent considering the current climate, it was more the Spitfire I had been looking at, but I can’t find a great many independent reviews, I’m not sure how I feel about these bikes, only a 2yr warranty unless you get a titus.
Enigma are out of my price range unless I was to find a 2nd hand one.
SPA I have been looking at as well, the Aspire and Mondays child I love the look of.
The ones I like the look of the most are Van Nicholas, the Ventus and Boreas, I have a VN stockist within a 1hr drive or another near a relative in Haverhill which I would be happy to use, the VN also offers a lifetime as they term it or a 25yr warranty.
Is anyone able to offer any opinions on the choices I have mentioned, if they own one of the brands or bikes how they feel about it.
Best regards
John
pwa

Re: Ti Bikes

Post by pwa »

I have a titanium tourer from Spa Cycles, and while the exact model is not what you are after, the finish is exquisite. The welds are slender and very neat, and the graphics are subtle etched stuff rather than stickers that might peel off. I imagine the Elan might suit if you have it with lightweight components, though it is a bit like a gravel bike and you say you don't want that. I also have one of their titanium Audax frames and it rides nicely on long rides if you stay sat down, but it doesn't feel as good if you get out of the saddle.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I also like Ti bikes! My Spa Ti audax suits me well and I have enjoyed it for the last three years. As a design it is perhaps a bit dated now with rim brakes and relatively narrow tyre clearances (I use 28mm with mudguards which is the max), it even has a pump peg! That said, it still does the job and I am happy with it. The Spa elan probably ticks more boxes and has a broader range of uses. Spa also have the sabbath range. Frames by van nic and others are significantly more expensive so you would need to understand what extra you are buying for the money. I've not ridden a VN or a Boreas so can't really comment other than they look great.
Johnno260

Post by Johnno260 »

pwa wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:39pm I have a titanium tourer from Spa Cycles, and while the exact model is not what you are after, the finish is exquisite. The welds are slender and very neat, and the graphics are subtle etched stuff rather than stickers that might peel off. I imagine the Elan might suit if you have it with lightweight components, though it is a bit like a gravel bike and you say you don't want that. I also have one of their titanium Audax frames and it rides nicely on long rides if you stay sat down, but it doesn't feel as good if you get out of the saddle.
Thanks this does help as I had been watching the Spa website and they have some very nice deals on currently.

The Aspire is very cheap currently, and the Mondays Child while being much more expensive looks stunning.
geocycle wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:51pm Frames by van nic and others are significantly more expensive so you would need to understand what extra you are buying for the money. I've not ridden a VN or a Boreas so can't really comment other than they look great.
The VN do look stunning I would 100% want to try one before commiting to a purchase, I have 2 stockists I could use for this, I do know their warranty is also quite good so that factors into the price.

It's also a replace not repair warranty.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve recently bought a s/h Van Nic Yukon. I cannot fault it. Superbly built and I thoroughly enjoy riding it.
I’d take a look at these https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/judpul5088/m ... 7675.l2562 a 56 and a 50 for sale virtually unused. If I hadn’t already got one I’d be in there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pq

Post by pq »

I like Ti bikes so much I have 4.

A Merlin Extralight. When new this was wildly expensive and arguably the best available at the time (1999). The ride quality is amazing, but so it should be at the price. It's one of original "genuine" frames made in massachusets. Spelt wrong.

A Planet X Tempest. For the money, it's great, I like it a lot, but it doesn't have the compliant ride quality people often want from Ti bikes. With its oversized tubes, it's glaringly obvious that will be the case before you ride it. It's nicely made, but of course not as nice as the Merlin.

An Airborne Carpe Diem. This is the same company as Van Nicholas and my opinion of it is pretty similar to the Planet X. It does have flimsy rear dropouts, one of which failed and had to be replaced (by Vernon Barker). It's not a high end frame, but rides nicely for the money.

An On-One Inbred Singlespeed. This has old fashioned skinny tubes so has quite a compliant ride. It's less jewellry-like than the other 3, but after very many years of abuse it's still fine, so there's nothing wrong with the way its put together.

If you want a Ti frame it's important not to believe the hype. Figure out what appeals to you about them, and make sure the frame you buy delivers on that. Like any other frame material, Ti can ride however the frame designer intended it to ride - anyone who tells you how Ti frames ride is talking nonsense - you can't generalise. And of course Ti frames can break, just like any other frame material.

The other reason Ti frames aren't for life is that regardless of whether the frame you buy still functions or not, frames go out of date. My Merlin, wonderful though it is, would be vastly improved if I could fit bigger tyres and if it had a wider head tube. One day I may replace it so that I can have those things.
One link to your website is enough. G
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I hear you re the bigger tyres. My frame is a Lapierre remainder dating from around 2001, and I can just get a 25 mm tyre on it if it's deflated. A right pain for roadside repairs. Compared to my carbon Trek it's a right bone-shaker. I used to ride 23mm tyres with 8 bars front & back, too - 120 psi.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Johnno260

Post by Johnno260 »

Carbon just scares me for some reason, my cousin has destroyed 2 CF frames and I have seen damage to frames from slipped chains and stones being flicked by passing vehicles, I'm sure it's just me being paranoid.

The reason I was attracted more to the titanium is I wanted another metal frame bike, I know steel is pretty durable but Ti has the anti corrosion going for it, and I know it probably is a silly thing but I love the look of the Ti frames, it wasn't so much the warranty and potential longevity but the warranty on the Van Nic is a very attractive addition.

I suppose my other choice is a aluminum framed Scultura, that would be a step up from my Merida Ride 400.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

All the Ti you could want to see:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show- ... ium.56645/

Some beautiful bikes there.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Titanium frames can be a bit hit and miss, regarding failures at ( particularly ) the welds. However, top quality frames ( V.N. for example ) will be welded by people who do know their onions, so are reliable. Ti is a great material for a bike frame, but it does need to be built properly.
Johnno260

Post by Johnno260 »

geocycle wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 4:07pm All the Ti you could want to see:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show- ... ium.56645/

Some beautiful bikes there.
Oh that's a gorgeous thread, I must say the VN Ventus and Boreas are by far my favourites.

The PX Spitfire I need to stop looking at, it's tempting at a lower price point.
Marcus Aurelius wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 4:23pm Titanium frames can be a bit hit and miss, regarding failures at ( particularly ) the welds. However, top quality frames ( V.N. for example ) will be welded by people who do know their onions, so are reliable. Ti is a great material for a bike frame, but it does need to be built properly.
The VN is also whats getting my attention more with the 25yr warranty, most of the other brands I looked at are 2-3yrs for PX and Ribble, Spa is 10yrs.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I have a Planet X/ ON One Pickenflick. 2014 vintage. Sold as a CX bike before gravel was a "thing" so not to slack in its handling. Faultless. Only minor gripe is that it dates from when big seat posts were still current but a sleeve down to 27.2 and a carbon post solves that nicely.
Great bike.
I would doubt that few Ti bakes are actually stuck together by the brand name until you get rather pricey.
RJS

Post by RJS »

I have a 15 year old Van Nick Amazon, it's given no trouble, titanium perhaps the ideal winter frame material? My only criticism is the steep seat angle. Have a friend with a Yukon, it was fine until he put a rack and panniers on it, that upset the handeling. Have two friends with Lynskey's, not sure of the mdel, both built up at a local shop. Another two have a Spa offering, an Audax and an Elan, all very pleased with them.
Cheers, Rob.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I have the same itch, and look at Singular Bikes every now and again. The Kite looks absolutely awesome, on paper my ideal bike. And as I’m a big fan of single speed and changing the set up, the EBB option appeals to me.

That said the only TI bikes I’ve ridden have been Charge, or PX and have been too small for me to get a feel, so no idea what is good or would suit, and can’t really justify the price.
Johnno260

Post by Johnno260 »

My other idea is getting a frame set with forks, and transferring my group set over.

I upgraded to 105 R7000 recently and I have some DCR wheels as well.

I would need to get a new stem and seat post maybe