Brands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: Brands

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’ve been using a hybrid for 20 years. 4 years ago following illness I added a motor and now tour with it.

Prior to buying the bike I hadn’t cycled for 20 years. Prior to that I cycled massively.
John
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

Stevek76 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 2:47pm
Englishhammer wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 8:57am

So I’ll never be doing 30mile rides :lol:
Hmm, obviously without knowing what medical limits you have but 30 miles on road is generally much less tough than most non cyclists tend to think it is!
Please verify this assertion with evidence.
jb

Post by jb »

biketips666 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 6:53pm
Englishhammer wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 8:57am

So I’ll never be doing 30mile rides :lol:
Hmm, obviously without knowing what medical limits you have but 30 miles on road is generally much less tough than most non cyclists tend to think it is!
:lol: where were there any assertions in that reply.
This is not a scientific journal.
Cheers
J Bro
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

jb wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 7:40pm

This:
Stevek76 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 2:47pm but 30 miles on road is generally much less tough than most non cyclists tend to think it is!
Or maybe "Stevek76" knows "most non cyclists" And also what they think about a 30 mile cycle ride.
jb

Post by jb »

biketips666 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 7:45pm
jb wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 7:40pm

This:
Stevek76 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 2:47pm but 30 miles on road is generally much less tough than most non cyclists tend to think it is!
Or maybe "Stevek76" knows "most non cyclists" And also what they think about a 30 mile cycle ride.
The word "generally" would suggest that it's based on personal experience which should be taken as an honest opinion - this is not a scientific journal.
Cheers
J Bro
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Too many requests for citations for opinions and you'll end up with no opinions or ignore gets used. We should be free to give opinions.
Englishhammer

Post by Englishhammer »

Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 10:52am The OP said he's been limited to a brisk walk.
Just for clarity on this, this was purely precaution because hospital appointments were like gold dust at the point of diagnosis (a week after the first lockdown started). It’s just taken 18 months to balance the correct medication and play it safe that’s all. I’m relatively fit, 11 stone (ideally should be 1/2 stone less) and things such as blood pressure have never been anything other than normal. It’s purely coming from the unknown to finding my new thresholds really.

So despite extending the lengths of my walks lately, it’s true I will need to build up the strength/endurance again. After reading all these great comments I’m going to go with my head instead of my heart and ignore my road cycling interest for now. I’ll definitely start with something that is a bit universal that can cope with my very short work commutes and the use of my local trails too.
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

jb wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 7:52pm ... this is not a scientific journal.
one of the sub-forums is full of references to "scientific journals". Oh yes, "evidence", and citation is all the rage in the-sub-forum-which-dare-not-speak-it's-name.
jb

Post by jb »

biketips666 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 9:30pm
one of the sub-forums is full of references to "scientific journals". Oh yes, "evidence", and citation is all the rage in the-sub-forum-which-dare-not-speak-it's-name.
If someone asserts something they should provide evidence of some sort. But few of us are trained to science journalistic standards, and most opinions are given in good faith.
Certainly challenge an opinion if you know it to have errors but let's not stop the conversation dead with requests for hard to get untainted data.
Cheers
J Bro
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Well, this is bemusing. Any particular reason my opinion amongst the many in this thread is the one that needs evidence? :?

Fwiw, it's based on personal experience of casual social rides where non cyclist friends/acquaintances using borrowed bikes tend to drastically exceed their own expectations of how far they can go.

Anyway. I've added a signature to avoid future confusion...
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I should have a similar warning for my posts!

Cheers James
freiston

Post by freiston »

Jamesh wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 11:01pm I should have a similar warning for my posts!

Cheers James
I do :D
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

jb wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 10:15pm
biketips666 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 9:30pm
If someone asserts something they should provide evidence of some sort. But few of us are trained to science journalistic standards, and most opinions are given in good faith.
Certainly challenge an opinion if you know it to have errors but let's not stop the conversation dead with requests for hard to get untainted data.
Why do you keep going on about "science journals"? I was asking Steve where he got his ideas from. Turns out it's a few pals who turn up on rides who do a bit better than they expected. Like so many here he suffers from "my experience is this, so that must be the way it is".

My experience is the exact opposite. But I don't claim that the friends and family who turn up on rides and then find it really hard and have to turn back early are "most non-cyclists".
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

An interesting and useful thread has turned into a rather awkward row. I cannot think how :D
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Englishhammer wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 9:12pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 10:52am The OP said he's been limited to a brisk walk.
Just for clarity on this, this was purely precaution because hospital appointments were like gold dust at the point of diagnosis (a week after the first lockdown started). It’s just taken 18 months to balance the correct medication and play it safe that’s all. I’m relatively fit, 11 stone (ideally should be 1/2 stone less) and things such as blood pressure have never been anything other than normal. It’s purely coming from the unknown to finding my new thresholds really.

So despite extending the lengths of my walks lately, it’s true I will need to build up the strength/endurance again. After reading all these great comments I’m going to go with my head instead of my heart and ignore my road cycling interest for now. I’ll definitely start with something that is a bit universal that can cope with my very short work commutes and the use of my local trails too.
Thought I'd repost the OPs post with more info on his circumstances in case anyone wants to get the thread back on track.