New seatpost

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chris_suffolk

New seatpost

Post by chris_suffolk »

My current seatpost, on my road bike, uses a single bolt to clamp the saddle rails. As a result adjusting the angle / tilt is quite crude, and can only be done in (quite large) incremental steps.

Can anybody recommend a seatpost that gives finer control over the tilt, without costing the earth? Current post is alloy, 27.2mm, and I'm quite happy not to go carbon. There seem to be so many to choose from, I really don't know what's good and what's not.

Thanks
Pneumant

Re: New seatpost

Post by Pneumant »

Hi, the twin bolt design permits the saddle angle to be set accurately, the drawback is they can have less layback compared to single bolt designs. Deda is a good brand and not overly expensive either. They make decent single bolt designs too. My favourite seatpost design is the older mid 90's Campag Chorus which relies upon tight tolerances (no notches required!) to clamp the saddle in any position. Downside is that this post is probably too short for sloping top tube design frames.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is probably the notches rather than the single bolt design that prevents tiny adjustments to angle. For truly "micro" adjustment you need a notch-free interface.
WOT

Post by WOT »

In my experience both the Thomson masterpiece / Thomson Elite and the Nitto NJ72 W44 have excellent 2 bolt clamping. I’m a big lump and have run my course with single bolt seat posts.

In 27.2mm you should have plenty of options including the likes of Bontrager if you have a Trek shop close by. They have a 2 bolt / 27.2mm fitted to many bikes. Second hand may be an option to keep costs down.

Have a look at some of these for options:
https://www.bike-components.de/en/compo ... 520mm=27.2
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

WOT wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 7:31am In my experience both the Thomson masterpiece / Thomson Elite and the Nitto NJ72 W44 have excellent 2 bolt clamping. I’m a big lump and have run my course with single bolt seat posts.

In 27.2mm you should have plenty of options including the likes of Bontrager if you have a Trek shop close by. They have a 2 bolt / 27.2mm fitted to many bikes. Second hand may be an option to keep costs down.

Thanks for the info. From what I can find, (and thnk I read a whileback) bike-components have stopped shipping to the uk. Certainly UK / GB / England isn't on their list of countries to choose.

Will search other sites
WOT

Post by WOT »

chris_suffolk wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 9:41am
WOT wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 7:31am In my experience both the Thomson masterpiece / Thomson Elite and the Nitto NJ72 W44 have excellent 2 bolt clamping. I’m a big lump and have run my course with single bolt seat posts.

Thanks for the info. From what I can find, (and thnk I read a whileback) bike-components have stopped shipping to the uk. Certainly UK / GB / England isn't on their list of countries to choose.

Will search other sites
Yes, intended as a point of reference rather than maybe the best source.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

chris_suffolk wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 7:31pm My current seatpost, on my road bike, uses a single bolt to clamp the saddle rails. As a result adjusting the angle / tilt is quite crude, and can only be done in (quite large) incremental steps.

Can anybody recommend a seatpost that gives finer control over the tilt, without costing the earth? Current post is alloy, 27.2mm, and I'm quite happy not to go carbon. There seem to be so many to choose from, I really don't know what's good and what's not.

Thanks
Is this a post with ratchet-type notches? In sensibly-designed posts, if you rotate the cradle holding the saddle rails half a turn on the seatpost top, then you get saddle angles intermediate between the previous angles you got.
Unfortunately, they are not all sensibly designed.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

531colin wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 11:41am
chris_suffolk wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 7:31pm My current seatpost, on my road bike, uses a single bolt to clamp the saddle rails. As a result adjusting the angle / tilt is quite crude, and can only be done in (quite large) incremental steps.

Thanks
Is this a post with ratchet-type notches? In sensibly-designed posts, if you rotate the cradle holding the saddle rails half a turn on the seatpost top, then you get saddle angles intermediate between the previous angles you got.
Unfortunately, they are not all sensibly designed.
Not tried that one, but I will now - thanks
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Planet X seatpost are simple, very inexpensive, and are good quality. Their stems are the same. There's no fancy design, just basic stuff that works.