Cleats/cage?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Audax67

Re: Cleats/cage?

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 6:16pm Back (my) olden days, I had Campag pedals with straps and cleats.
Put cycling shoes in, and the cleat engaged with the rear plate of the pedal. The cleat was a plastic screwed-on plate with a slot that fitted the rear plate.

In order to get out, you had to release the strap to lift off the foot/cleat. If you didn't release the strap, you were solid into the pedals, and you fell over! :lol:

These days, "cleats" are very different things.
They engage with the pedal, and you twist out to get out.
Simple and easy.

These were mine.campagnolo-victory-pedals-2_2.JPG
Or you got your foot out but fell over the other way. I never rode with cleats nailed onto the shoe, but a few chums did and had the scars to prove it.

Mind you, I've done the unclip left & fall right trick a couple of times with SPDs. Somewhat ignominious.

ETA on the MTB I used toe hooks - never did much and could never muster the confidence to use SPDs. Don't do MTB at all since I learnt to say "my cardiologist".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

For most of my cycling life I used toe clips with straps. Then a daughter persuaded me to try one-sided SPDs. I now use those on the upright tourer all of the time: into town, local rides for pleasure, touring holidays. Currently with Shimano MT34 shoes which are fine for walking and don't damage fine floors.

My wife uses rigid shovels and whatever shoes she wants. Similar to those "half clips".

I suggest doing the experiment.

Jonathan
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Tried Look Keo pedals (much the same as SPD-SL) and could not get on with them at all. Because they're designed to hang vertically I found that clipping in on an uphill start was next to impossible, resulting in me coming off three times, one time wrecking the rear mech and suffering some epic bruises in the process.

If the pedal was still when you went to clip in, it would be easier. But it isn't- after you push off with the right foot, the left pedal is swinging on it's axle and seems 99% of the time to be upside down when I go to clip in. Soon you're out of momentum and the floor beckons.

I'm back on flats now. The Look Keos almost killed my interest in cycling this year. Part of me wants to try SPDs but then, I'm probably better off just staying with pedals I get along with. If it works for me, why change?
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I've used SPDs since day one simply because they were the first I tried (for mountain biking). I've wondered about other attachment types, egg beaters etc. but it would be a major faff and cost trying anything else, different shoes and pedals, so I'll probably go to my grave not knowing.

Spare a thought for early TDF riders who bolted their shoes to their pedals. No problem unclipping with those. :D
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Audax67 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:22am
Mick F wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 6:16pm Back (my) olden days, I had Campag pedals with straps and cleats.
Put cycling shoes in, and the cleat engaged with the rear plate of the pedal. The cleat was a plastic screwed-on plate with a slot that fitted the rear plate.

In order to get out, you had to release the strap to lift off the foot/cleat. If you didn't release the strap, you were solid into the pedals, and you fell over! :lol:

These days, "cleats" are very different things.
They engage with the pedal, and you twist out to get out.
Simple and easy.

These were mine.campagnolo-victory-pedals-2_2.JPG
Or you got your foot out but fell over the other way. I never rode with cleats nailed onto the shoe, but a few chums did and had the scars to prove it.

Mind you, I've done the unclip left & fall right trick a couple of times with SPDs. Somewhat ignominious.

ETA on the MTB I used toe hooks - never did much and could never muster the confidence to use SPDs. Don't do MTB at all since I learnt to say "my cardiologist".
When I started cycling in earnest I had the standard toe clips, straps and nailed shoe plates - those of a certain age will remember Detto Pietro shoes and Anquetil shoe plates.
I found no difficulty getting my feet out of the pedals - the only time it was hard to pull out was at the end of road races when those going for the sprint would tighten their toe straps. Generally there was no need to have the straps so tight that one couldn't pull up and out.
When I resumed cycling after a long break a lot of people were using clipless pedals and I was advised on their many benefits.
I've been using SPD's for over twenty years and I still don't see any benefit over the old system. All I can say is that I've become accustomed to them but if I'd known originally that there was no discernible benefit I wouldn't have bothered.
OTH I've witnessed many people falling off " couldn't unclip in time " and I didn't see much of that in the old days.
I think one of the reasons why toe clips and straps are difficult for new cyclists is that they often buy a first bike fitted with toe clips and those floppy nylon straps - usually this is in combination with the "newbie" wearing trainers making foot removal difficult.
Meanwhile during those years my partner has continued pedalling merrily along using toe clips and straps - why would she want SPD's?