Ortlieb panniers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TimeTraveller

Re: Ortlieb panniers?

Post by TimeTraveller »

I believe it is an issue with generating the 1.21 gigawatts required for a sumbit post for my flux capacitor :idea: :wink: never mind getting to 88.8 MPH on my bicycle...
Pete... I think
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:05am Karrimor is now a Sports Direct brand... In contrast to my Karrimor rucksack which is still going strong since the mid '90s,
Oh, I know. My Karrimor backpack from the end of the 80's is still ok - but Sports Direct "karrimor"? A different type of product.

And fridges etc? Suppose my 2016 fridge made it until 2020 and my 2020 fridge has already made it to 2021 (Nb. Though needed replaced FOC earlier this year under warranty). And my 2016 washing machine made it to 2020, though the 2020 one really needs replaced/fixed now that it's approaching 11 months of age
ossie

Post by ossie »

gbnz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:23am Anyone know why Ortlieb panniers last indefinitely?
Hopefully my Cordura Ortlieb panniers will last as long but I fear not.

As for washing machines, six to eight years with Bosch (heavy use) but they're cheap and we've had three since the late 90's. My mother had a Miele that lasted 25 years with heavy use but they're expensive. Our Bosch dishwasher 10 years with heavy use.

Our Hyundai motor car lasted 16 years and 140,000 miles and went to the scrappy last week, numerous reports of BMW's at 5 times the price not lasting anything like that.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 11:36am
gbnz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:23am Anyone know why Ortlieb panniers last indefinitely?
: - )

Kenwood Chefs
Rohan clothes
Workmates

Jonathan
We bought a Kenwood when we married in 1971.
About ten years ago it carked but spares were available plus an old bloke to repair it and it is going well atm. Dunno what happens when the old bloke retires however.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike_Ayling wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 5:13am

Kenwood Chefs
Rohan clothes
Workmates

Jonathan
We bought a Kenwood when we married in 1971.
About ten years ago it carked but spares were available plus an old bloke to repair it and it is going well atm. Dunno what happens when the old bloke retires however.
Funny you should say that. We bought a Kenwood when we married in 1971. It is still going strong.
John
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

This my experience as well. Bought in early 2007 and still going strong including flying through the air is Spain in 2011 and coming to rest on concrete. Several clips were broken but the comprehensive list of spares had them back to full fitness. Quicker than me in fact!!!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Our Carradice bags also seem pretty indestructible, and the firm is very good about doing repairs if they are beyond a home fix.

I regularly use the Kenwood Chef I inherited from my mother- she bought it in 1960 and used it a lot. The Kenwood Mini we were given as a wedding present is also going well, but it’s a mere 46 years old.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Ortlieb's History page here is worth 5 minutes if you have nothing much better to do... and Kenwood's here.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'll get the trivia out of the way first. House nearly 100 years, VW campervan 25 years (not all me), last fridge about 35 years.

My first Super Cs were 1990. They lasted (ie still fit for long haul touring) until 2007. They had been patched up and new straps sewn, etc. I still use them as day or shopping bags.

I bought new (bigger, better straps and hooks) Super Cs in 2007, I am still using them, but they have a few minor holes, but otherwise OK. I guess that is about 60 months of touring.

I have another set of Super Cs, that I have inherited from a mate who was killed. They are pretty near new and should see me out.

I guess if I had bought Ortleibs, I would still be on the first pair..........but, I like the canvas of Super CS in preference to the plastic of the big Os. Also when they finally die, they will slowly fade away in landfill, can't say that about Ortliebs.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonhill wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 10:36am I'll get the trivia out of the way first. House nearly 100 years, VW campervan 25 years (not all me), last fridge about 35 years.

My first Super Cs were 1990. They lasted (ie still fit for long haul touring) until 2007. They had been patched up and new straps sewn, etc. I still use them as day or shopping bags.

I bought new (bigger, better straps and hooks) Super Cs in 2007, I am still using them, but they have a few minor holes, but otherwise OK. I guess that is about 60 months of touring.

I have another set of Super Cs, that I have inherited from a mate who was killed. They are pretty near new and should see me out.

I guess if I had bought Ortleibs, I would still be on the first pair..........but, I like the canvas of Super CS in preference to the plastic of the big Os. Also when they finally die, they will slowly fade away in landfill, can't say that about Ortliebs.
The main reason for my not getting Ortlieb was the material from which they are made. Of course, they will last for half a million years or so.
John
pq

Post by pq »

My Ortliebs are dismal pieces of kit. Now used for storing my decent panniers in (mostly Carradice) - they certainly won't ever be attached to a bike again.
One link to your website is enough. G
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Kenwood Chefs
Rohan clothes
Workmates
Fjällräven Kånken

Jonathan
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

One of my wife's panniers once bounced off her lowrider rack and got caught up in the front wheel. She managed not to crash which was good as our daughter was in a child seat on the back however the fastenings were badly broken. We were camping and really needed the pannier. I rummaged through a bin and found a tin can and borrowed some tools from a stranger. I sawed the tin can vertically and cut the end off, hammering the metal flat and folding in into an inch wide strip. With an old nail I punched some holes in the tin strip and screwed the fastenings through it.
20210928_193426.jpg
I was very proud of the bodge and was expecting more praise from my family than I received :wink: The repair held for the whole trip- I was hoping to use it as an excuse to buy some Super Cs when we got home but Ortlieb wouldn't die.

Small cuts and tears in Ortlieb can be fixed with one of these kits https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatabl ... =COLORLESS
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

BerlinMatt wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 7:12pm I rummaged through a bin and found a tin can and borrowed some tools from a stranger. I sawed the tin can vertically and cut the end off, hammering the metal flat and folding in into an inch wide strip. With an old nail I punched some holes in the tin strip and screwed the fastenings through it.
20210928_193426.jpg
I was very proud of the bodge
+ 1. You should be proud, sounds like a decent bodge! (Nb. Have to admit the twig holding my front mudguard in place on the Spa Tourer, needs sorted! 3 months or so to date!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

BerlinMatt wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 7:12pm I was very proud of the bodge and was expecting more praise from my family than I received
As would I have been. And being taken for granted is its own kind of accolade.

Jonathan