Ortlieb panniers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

Ortlieb panniers?

Post by gbnz »

Anyone know why Ortlieb panniers last indefinitely?

Suppose mine are now 14 years old. And yet as I stuffed approx. 12-15kg of food shopping into one (I.e. 12 pints of milk), I can't quite believe they're still not showing the slightest sign of fabric wear, the straps are still in place, the draw cords haven't needed replaced. Quite incredibly, the tiny plastic "snap on" fittings the panniers are attached to the rack with, still haven't shown the slightest issue, despite the fact that they've done thousands of fully packed journeys over 14 years carrying 10-15kg as a matter of routine.

It just seems incredible. A modern fridge lasts 3-4 years, a washing machine 2-3 years, a laptop several months, karrimor boots one walk.. If Ortlieb panniers were made by most modern suppliers, 3-4 weeks of use would be a "good life" :wink:

How on earth do Ortlieb do it?
Oldjohnw

Re: Ortlieb panniers?

Post by Oldjohnw »

I expect at least 10 years from a fridge. Our washing machine is going strong after 15 years.
John
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Agreed! My bikepacker plus carried the family shopping yesterday. Been used most days for commuting and tours since 2005. Ready for a clean.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Presumably, this is design life, if that's the right expression. Stuff is either built to last or it isn't. That's not to say you cannot wreck almost anything if you try hard enough.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Karrimor is now a Sports Direct brand... In contrast to my Karrimor rucksack which is still going strong since the mid '90s, having been hiking on three continents, used for moving house on numerous occasions, transported on top of and inside buses, planes, trains...
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Your expectations for washing machine and fridge are very low. However my fridge and washer are nowhere near as old as my Vaude panniers.
Approx 30yo they are now showing signs of wear with a few repairs now at the bottom corners.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:23am Anyone know why Ortlieb panniers last indefinitely?
: - )

Kenwood Chefs
Rohan clothes
Workmates

Jonathan
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Ortlieb (and Vaude) material is overengineered for cycle touring. The material is intended for truck trailer covering so one can imagine the abuse they get.

I noticed a small amount of scuffing on the base of my Vaude from putting them onto concrete floors. To avoid this becoming an issue, I stuck some linoleum to the base using contact adhesive. Reckon, they'll outlast me now.

These types of panniers are not unbreakable. There are plenty of reports of broken clips and rips caused by abrasion (usually at the base). But, most issues can be avoided with preventative measures and sympathetic use.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gbnz wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:23am Anyone know why Ortlieb panniers last indefinitely?
I don't know that they do. My Back Roller Classics are in need of some replacement parts. The rails on the top have developed a bend and whilst they still work they do need replacing. Fortunately mine are QL1 and I have (in the cupboard, waiting) a new set but you can't get replacement QL2 rails! (at least I can't find any as I wanted to repace with QL2 which seem stronger).

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Anyone know why Ortlieb panniers last indefinitely?
It's a curious question to ask. One could ask it of any durable product, eg Sturmey Archer, with respect to their famous AW hubs. The obvious answer is, "'Cos they're well designed and made from durable materials." But the more interesting question is, "What is the company's marketing strategy? Who are they selling to?" In some ways, selling a super-durable product makes no sense - compare the longevity of an AW hub with that of Shimano's entry-level derailleur transmission. There's every possibility that the AW will outlast several sets of mech.s & cassettes - so Shimano appear to be the winners - a derailleur transmission that requires frequent replacement is the gift that keeps on giving. S-A only sell a single product, once !
Going back to Ortleib, we wonder what is the sense in selling a pair of panniers that never need replacing... one strategy might be to price the product carefully so that there are enough buyers to compensate for the fact that they will only buy once. The key motto for all selling is, "Know your market."
So I might reply to gbnz, "The reason Ortleib panniers are long-lasting is because they've done their research well enough to know that there's a market for their product, at a price that delivers a decent profit, taking into consideration they may only sell once."
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
freiston

Post by freiston »

I bought a refurbished (i.e. 2nd hand) laptop in 2010 which is still going strong and in daily use. It is used as a streaming device, running Linux and attached to the onboard DAC of my hi-fi amplifier via a fibre optic and a USB soundcard. It can still be used as a "regular" laptop but the battery would need replacing to run it without mains power. I do have other items not on the OP's list that are still going strong after many years.

My Altura panniers are still young (about 7 years for the rear, 4 years for the front) but I expect to get many more years use out of them. Hopefully they will last as long and as well as the OP's Ortliebs.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

did i post here ? :shock:
Pete... I think
freiston

Post by freiston »

TimeTraveller wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 1:30pm did i post here ? :shock:
Not yet. Come back yesterday and check again :D

EDIT: Is that John Titor?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Just got back from a ride and was sure I posted on this thread :arrow: geezz though I was going mad.. can't have clicked submit
Pete... I think
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

TimeTraveller wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 1:30pm did i post here ? :shock:
Yes tomorrow