Silver mudguards on a matt black frame?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Chris56

Silver mudguards on a matt black frame?

Post by Chris56 »

Ordered some SKS commuters in black to winter-proof my matt black commuter (Planet X London Road).

Annoyingly they sent me a set of silvers. Gut reaction is to send them back as I have not opened them.

To save the hassle i am wondering whether to just fit them and have a contrast, but am wondering whether they would look silly given the only silver elsewhere on the bike are brake discs and calipers.

What do you think?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Silver mudguards on a matt black frame?

Post by Mick F »

Obviously, it's up to you of course.
Personally speaking, I would think the silver mudguards would be great. Anything to brighten up an otherwise black bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Chris56 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:07am What do you think?
I think you should get what you ordered.
I prefer black guards, but if I'd ordered silver, I'd want to have received them.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Yes to silver on a black frame. I have had a couple of bikes with that combination and I think they look good,
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Check why they sent the wrong colour without an explanation, or at least see if they are still advertising the colour of your choice. If you have been sent the last pair of guards in any colour likely to be available for the foreseeable, then it's a question of how you want guards. If they just sent them willy-nilly, then the only thing to be balanced with the colour is the hassle of sending them back for a refund or exchange.

IIRC Once upon a time - perhaps when Esge was still Esge - that silvery colour was the Henry Ford (you can have any colour so long as it's silver.) Bluemels have always made different colours and I think they too are now part of SKS
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Thanks for the replies.

The seller is still advertising the blacks. On my order confirmation it says "black" but the sales invoice in the package says "silver" - human error I suspect

I did order black but mostly by default (Black bike + always used black in past = order black) I was disappointed when I opened the package so am tempted to send them back purely on those grounds.

But I am now wondering whether silver would actually look good and I was too quick to dismiss it when I ordered them.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Again once upon a time, Bluemels mudguards were not the tough material used today and were easily broken. I stumped up for some (silver-coloured) alloy guards and used them for years. I cannot now remember why I got rid of them. So, I'm relaxed about silver guards (and black is my preferred frame colour.)

In the end, it's really your choice. Send them back and you should have what you wanted; retain them and you may be delighted or spend a lot of time thinking "if only."
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Keep them. I have much the same and it brightens up a gllony frame.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 1:14pm Keep them. I have much the same and it brightens up a gllony frame.
Done!
Just fitted them and they look ace!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

All's well that ends well. And thanks for not attaching a poll to your thread. You might consider attaching some sort of long mudflap to your rear mudguard.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 1:25pm All's well that ends well. And thanks for not attaching a poll to your thread. You might consider attaching some sort of long mudflap to your rear mudguard.
Haha, it did cross my mind I must be honest!

They actually came with mudflaps attached but the rear one could do with being a bit longer
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I would use the silver guards .If you look silly it does not matter-being seen does!I cannot understand why you need to ask the question-simply decide for yourself.Do you need help buying socks?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chris56 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 1:14pmDone!
Just fitted them and they look ace!
Excellent!
Brilliant!

:D
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

One mans Da Vinci is another mans Jackson Pollack.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

The silver will "lift" the look of the bike, I would think. Put them on!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !