What did you buy today?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Hellhound

Re: What did you buy today?

Post by Hellhound »

I'd probably lean on something,had many a squishy banana doing this :lol:
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Two books on anarchism, seems like the way forward :D

Oh, and some petrol, not even my little car would have made the 200 mile journey back from Devon on less than 2 gallons.

Once home, the car can resume it’s rightful place, rusting on the drive while we go cycling.
Womgee

Post by Womgee »

Campy bottom bracket tool.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

A new cassette (105 11 speed 11-32) to go with the new chain I fitted a couple of days ago. Having scoured the internet and discovered that such things weren't available until January next year I was highly delighted to discover that my favourite lbs (Adrian's Bike Shop, Freshwater) had one in stock and total cost including fitting it for me was less than the internet suppliers were charging, or would be if they had one!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Toaster tripped our power today. Off to Asda to combine shopping with a covid booster appointment, not at the same place. Whilst shopping for a toaster I spotted some bike chains on display. On inspection they were brown, 3/32, 114 links, suitable for 6,7,8 speed and looked like KMC chains. The Z on the side plates and the ref Zsc Z51 and narrow engraved on them makes me think they are KMC. Imported by Moore Large.
At £4 a pop I will give one a go. No connecting link, you will need a chain joining tool. :D

BTW the chain shown on the ASDA website looks like a Taya chain. Check in-store before buying if you are concerned. Caveat Emptor as they say.
Last edited by rjb on 27 Sep 2021, 4:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Now I now have a new toaster, I stripped the one that was tripping our electrics and gave it a good clean out using a tooth brush to get to all those areas which are almost inaccessible unless you get the case removed. Used my security bits to remove the 3 slot headed screws. On reassembly and testing it's now working fine. New spare one going at the back of the cupboard. :)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

4 Ginsters cornish pasties from the Morrissons, £1 each!
:lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yuk.

Too peppery, too processed, and we know lots of people who make them. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A clock for the kitchen from local charity shop (I should say 'one of the many' charity shops). The old one (ex charity shop) had given up the ghost.

New one was on the 50p shelf. No battery but thought I would chance it (or bin it if u/s). While chatting to shop staff, I dropped it and broke off the cover. Awaiting glue to set now.................and the clock works.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Every two or three years I go barmy and buy some new mitts. I don't normally pay full RRP, but I've struggled to find these online in my size. Picked up these - and, rather lavishly, an inner tube - from an Evans that has opened near me.

mitts.jpg

To balance the profligacy I salvaged this mudguard debris from the roadside. I shall use it to replace the reflector I pinched off my wife's mudguard to fit to one of mine. :)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Nought but did bake my Christmas seeing as the weather is pretty rubbish for cycling, though did get on the turbo and zwifted while it baked.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dog food delivered.
https://butternutbox.com

Three weeks supply all frozen and now straight into the chest freezer.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

A 5ltr diving cylinder for my PCP rifle.I had decided to buy one anyway and I got an email saying the indoor range/club I use has ceased trading as off today which sealed the deal.Another victim of Covid :cry: Going to be chilly shooting outside this Winter :roll:
Ordered a new gel case for my soon to arrive iPhone 13 Pro Max and 10x500 tins of .177 pellets.I need to order a few finishing bits for my Focus Variado project then I'll leave it a few days to stop the wife complaining about all the packages arriving....if she only knew :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also need some new softshell trousers for Winter walking as the zips have gone on my current pair so they're relegated to being my garage/workshop jobbies.The current ones were cheap Chinese Amazon jobbies,£22 IIRC,I might invest in a branded pair this time around.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Got drenched out cycling today and got to thinking about winter weather. Ordered a Wahoo KICKR BIKE to keep the miles up in the warm. A bit of an indulgence I'm afraid, but at my age I'm not going to feel guilty about it 😎
Power to the pedals
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Well, they arrived today, a pack of 4 x 3mm x10mm stainless steel springs. About 3mm longer than the ones that went awol when I took the freehub off because of this
IMG_20210816_121116.jpg
New axle fitted with new springs. Hopefully all will be well for Saturdays 200km Audax.