What did you buy today?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PM999

Re: What did you buy today?

Post by PM999 »

With 6 road bikes of various vintages between the two of us, a trip to the dark side beckoned:

IMG_20211017_122902.jpg

A really nice thing, and I'm looking forward to some local trails.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

eileithyia wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 9:54pm Tea bags (for hotel room) tea and cake in Puerta Pollensa after the out and back to Formentor,
My favourite ride.
Thompson Elite seatpost.It's for the Focus but if it's in good enough nick I might put it on the Lynskey :mrgreen:
colin54

Post by colin54 »

A programme at Ramsbottom; the forecast rain held off luckily.
P1150659.JPG
Nu-Fogey
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 4:47pm Rattle can of supposedly combined primer and topcoat in scarlet.

Had a new bottom bracket mount made up for the mango, so it's not going to be particularly exposed or maltreated. I'm optimistic that I can get the paint to stick well enough to protect it.
Can't do where it mates with the frame though, it's practically an interference fit.

Turned out quite well.
Not the hardest wearing surface, not the glossiest… but it’ll keep the wet and air away.
DECC7C0F-C62E-4D17-BD98-B9A7DF39D67A.jpeg
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

2 Lezyne allu bottle cages.
Not cheap at £20 each but cheaper than Ti and look nicer 8)
rjb

Post by rjb »

When Mick F bought a tarpaulin you can forgive me for thinking he had a hole in his roof. This is a farmhouse near us, then and now
pictures. :(

We were slightly embarrassed as when we took the picture today our neighbour came out to check if we had a puncture. He was visiting the farmer having known him for years.

https://goo.gl/maps/1Wnjzfdfi2GVY62b8

IMG_20211020_152622 (2).jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Well the Thomson Elite seat post and Lezyne bottle cages arrived,both shiny silver and they are far too nice to go on the Focus so I'll be putting them on the Lynskey 8)
The bottle cages are particularly nice 8)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

rjb wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 4:17pm When Mick F bought a tarpaulin you can forgive me for thinking he had a hole in his roof. This is a farmhouse near us, then and now
pictures. :(

We were slightly embarrassed as when we took the picture today our neighbour came out to check if we had a puncture. He was visiting the farmer having known him for years.

https://goo.gl/maps/1Wnjzfdfi2GVY62b8

IMG_20211020_152622 (2).jpg
Are there no farming support charities to help him??

Cheers James
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I had a bit of a British Steel/Iron buy at the basically deserted (rain), car-boot sale today. I've been looking for a large vice for the shed for a while and found this Record 24 in OK nick, the seller kindly transported it the 7 miles back to Skem for me, I didn't think one bungee was quite enough to secure it on the rack (weighs about 50 odd lbs ).
P1150720.JPG
He also threw in a piece of cutlery with the deal for free. If I ever see this shape of Sheffield Stainless Steel knife (butter or dinner), I can't resist buying them, something about the shape of them has a timeless classic appeal to me. They are nice to use in the hand, and take a good edge. The older (higher carbon ?) is the best for sharpness ( third from top in the picture), or possibly extra chromium in the newer 'more stainless' knives makes them more resistant to sharpening, I don't know. It's a source of amazement to me that exactly the same shape knife was made by so many different Sheffield manufacturers, mostly with a Firth Stainless Steel mark on them, as well as the different Cutlers' names. There's an odd funky shaped outlier at the bottom of the picture. Six different makers in one picture....No doubt these were all in different folk's wedding canteens at one time. :(
P1150728.JPG
Today's maker: Herbert.M.Slater, Sheffield. Is there anyone who's worked in cutlery trade on here I wonder ?
P1150729.JPG
I've just got to find a bench sturdy enough to support the vice now....
edit; Photo' added showing the other makers
P1150723.JPG
Last edited by colin54 on 25 Oct 2021, 6:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Nice vice. A Biggie indeed.

I picked up several no1 and a number 2 vice if anyone wants one?

Cheers James
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

@Colin54.
A very good friend of mine's Great and Grandfather were 'Little Mesters'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_mester
There were dozens of them in Sheffield making cutlery and knives back in the old days.I had a lock-knife made by her dad who only made them to order as a side-line as the trade was dying out by 1980s.I believe there are still a couple of small cutlery makers left in Sheffield.
There is a woodland trail in the Rivelin Valley area of Sheffield where you can see remains of many of the old pre-industrial revolution steel/cutlery makers alongside the little diverted water courses they made.

Thos.Firth and Sons was what is now known as Sheffield Forgemasters,recently bought by the M.O.D.Harry Brierly(accidently invented Stainless Steel) worked there.Brierly original worked and invented SS at the Stocksbridge Steel Mill when it was Samuel Fox's.
Firths was a massive cutlery maker in it's day.
Last edited by Hellhound on 25 Oct 2021, 11:00am, edited 4 times in total.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Shimano 105 (5800) hubs.
Last edited by De Sisti on 25 Oct 2021, 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

rope tmp.JPG

25 meters of 10mm braid on braid rope.
No pasaran
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ncutler wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 11:19am rope tmp.JPG

25 meters of 10mm braid on braid rope.
Beautiful. I love rope and knotting.
Can you do eye splices in it? It is very satisfying.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

spliced.jpg

Can do ....... although not always as neat as the professionals
No pasaran